SAU Community

Gts4 Hicas Removal

chestnut

Does removing the hicas on a gts4 affect the 4wd system at all?

I was about to install my lockbar when I was given some information from a mechanic that it may interfere with the 4wd operation. Something on the lines of; the hicas operation being taken into account when calculating the amount of torque to transfer.

I thought the only method for this was comparing the front to rear sensors.

Anyone know the dealio?

I honestly haven't heard about any problems of installing a lockbar interfering with the 4wd system.

I'll let someone who's put one in their GTR or GTS-4 first hand to answer this one.

Hicas removal won't kill your 4wd unless you do things like removing wheel speed transducers / wiring / etc.

What you may end up with if it isn't done correctly is quite heavy power steering effort.

Search for info on gtr's removal process and problems that occur as the gts4 and gtr are the same.

Yes you might as well remove the whole hydraulic system and save some weight.

I used the Tomei kit that blinds the hicas, which affects pwr steering.

100's on here have removed their's, non have affected ATESSA that I’ve read about.

Some have heavy steering.

- SydneyKid says that a small change of castor (?) offsets the heavier steering.

- Someone on here modified the PS rack solenoid with a solid flange, to make it permanently light.

- The Tomei kit has a box you splice in, (along with the locking shims) that stops the dash HICAS light from turning on, plus giving factory like PS assist control.

I slapped a lock bar on, removed everything but have yet to drive it. I want to keep proper PS assist on my modern (modern'ish lol) import, so I figure I'll just splice the Tomei black box in if its an issue ($100)

My cents

I'd place bets that the tomei box is just a load simulator so that the hicas module doesn't see the difference. If I wanted to rip mine out, which is a long way down my list of priorities first of which is getting it moving again, I think it would be quite easy to replicate.

You can also wire the soenoid to a constant 12v, as long as it doesn't burn out it will give you permanent light steering, probably not what you want at 100+ though. Easier to build a pwm solenoid controller with a dial on it so that you can adjust steering weight for your wants.

LoL, thats a damm good idea. Use a $20 PICAXE, or similar bootstrapped IC and make one.

I fear though, that by time you figure out the signal curve required... would have been easier spending 100 on Tomei and selling the shims.

I've only experienced the heavy steering problem when the

car had HICAS ECU problems.

From what I understand you can bypass the HICAS solenoid

in engine bay that sends fluid to the rear of car. This

supposedly bypasses the part that can cause the steering

to go heavy.

Also from what I remember there is a tutorial on SAU forums

about how to bypass the HICAS solenoid in the engine bay.

Edited by SKYPER