SAU Community

Welcome To Rb30 Forum!

Duncan

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea Duncan. Maybe you should post in the intro what people should put in their questions so we can give some answers. Like with Nev above. Sorry to single you out mate but some tosser could start by saying "maybe look in a GMH parts catalogue...." or other worthless crap.

You really need to give us an idea of what you are planning to do with the engine, HP goal, car it goes into, budget etc. From about there we could just about price it up completely and tell if the machine shop is ripping you off.

its ok thanks mate.

what i want to do is jusy like rip it apart get the block cleaned and what ever else i should do u's could help in telling me what i should get done 2 the block.

then what i want is just to like rebuild it with stock new stock pistons and just shot peen the rods and upgrade all the other stuff..

i know that i need like bearings and stuff but like what else will i need to upgarde.

i dont want 2 much power was just thinking like 450hp or something like that.

the motor is going into a 180sx ive lost my licence for 6months and this is something i want to do to it.

umm yer just geting a block when i find one then then im going to pull it apart and just have it cleaned and build it up..

so if any of you's could like suggest what to do and things to get that would be great thanks to every one that can help me out...

450hp is considered not too much now-a-days? :)

Have you ever driven a 450hp car?

- Start with a set of cp pistons and spool rods, i believe Spoolup sells them at a great price

For the price you pay for NEW std pistons and shot-pinned rods, you may as well go for forged items.

Serious question:

Do you plan on using the standard bonnet or are you intending to get one fabricated?

I know the rb26 JUST fits into the bay and some nipping of the std bonnet frame is required to stop it rubbing. An rb30 block sits an inch taller, so you either have to customise engine mounts and cross-member, to lower engine, gearbox, etc. or you somehow get a new bonnet fabricated.

Having lost your license could also mean that you may be in the police "radar" when you get it back, thus being pulled over for "random" checks more often.

Just some things to consider before making the final decision to do such a huge conversion into a 180sx.

Do you plan on using the standard bonnet or are you intending to get one fabricated?

I know the rb26 JUST fits into the bay and some nipping of the std bonnet frame is required to stop it rubbing. An rb30 block sits an inch taller, so you either have to customise engine mounts and cross-member, to lower engine, gearbox, etc. or you somehow get a new bonnet fabricated.

BA XR8 bonnet bulge FTW :)

Findem on ebay in fibreglass

yer ive driving a 450hp car but that was awd gtr but yer lol..

yer i know she will be sitting bonnet will be made up i know theres no chance in getting it shut with the motor yer will get custom mounts and stuff its something that i want 2 do. im just one of them ppl that if they want to do something they will im sure theres a few ppl on here that a like that..

so ur saying forged would be better?

i didnt think getting all stock ones would be to much but it will be something ill have 2 think about..

cops pull me over coz i look 2 young 2 drive but im used 2 it when driving a import..

i just spent the last 15 mins trying to work out where the sticky went i had this horrible feeling it was somehow deleted!!! great new forum shoulda done it ages ago!

ive got a few noob qs regarding rb30 conversions (please dont flame me :P )

1. what is block is perferred de or det???

2. what is this vct???

3. are there any major advantages in using a 26 head instead of a 25 if only a mild build???

sorry for the noobness

all answers much apprietiated

Nick033,

The RB30 only comes in E and ET.. hence why people are doing the DET conversion. The RB30E motor is the one you want as it will have a good CR when bolting the DET head on (RB30ET block will cause a low CR).

VCT is variable cam timing.

The 26 head will always be better but the 25 will be fine for a mild build.

• 2 weeks later...

I think everybody with any kind of rb30 project should post their build thread here in this new rb30 forum

u dont have to expose your secrets if u dont want to

but I think it will be cool to see all kinds of rb30 related build !!

I didn't feel the need to be special and have my own thread, if you look through the sticky up the top you'll find a lot of peoples build info in there.

Might be an idea to have a single thread that people can post there build details in 1 post inside the thread but I guess people usualy do that in the Dyno results thread

• 6 months later...

hey everyone. first of all love the RB30 disscussion. :)

I have an R32 gtst running rb20det with link ecu with map sensor,gtr injectors,and GT400 turbo. 200rwkw. But i want more.!!! :banana:

so ive read all the threads/PDF and decided to go with 25/30 r32 head. Im after 300rwkw.

Just wondering is it a must to get all the rods and pistons balanced along with the crank..???

if i bought spool rods and CP pistons do i still need to get them ballenced..?

will be starting the build soon. any help would be great. Thanks.

I have an R32 gtst running rb20det with link ecu with map sensor,gtr injectors,and GT400 turbo. 200rwkw. But i want more.!!! :banana:

so ive read all the threads/PDF and decided to go with 25/30 r32 head. Im after 300rwkw.

Just wondering is it a must to get all the rods and pistons balanced along with the crank..???

yes and yes - your engine builder can answer that - if your building yourself, speak to your machinist about their recommendations.

as a few ppl say all the up and down round and round parts should always be balanced. so yes defently the crank and standard rods. however im not 100% sure when using the spool piston rod package, but going out on a limb going to say no, but not to sure, still the crank defenitly. some one else will be able to better answer