SAU Community

Risk Of Turbo For Green Platers

my mate is driving a xr6 turbo atm and hes still on he's p's. I asked him whats the go with he's insurance and he has full comprehensive on the car and he's insurance company didn't even ask him whether or not he's allowed to drive turbo'd cars.

Like somebody else mentioned they dont care what you drive whilst you are paying them money. But when its claim time they sure will ask.

Just like the Just Cars "unlimited mods" policy. You can have big wheels, big brakes, atmo BOV, high mount turbo, a/m ecu, bodykits, coilovers etc etc and for each extra mods they will raise your premiums.

But the same policies terms and conditions will also state that a claim will be rejected if the car is not legally allowed on the road which with the above mods it isnt.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I'm agreeing or disagreeing with the law, but boost can be killer, from what I've been told anyway. At least with a dirty great thumping V8 you know what your car will do.

Yeah, of course! Turbo cars just "suddenly hit boost" and the world ends!! */end sarcasm*

If you don't know what your car is going to do (turbo, V8, anything) when you accelerate you shouldn't be driving it, period.

my mate is driving a xr6 turbo atm and hes still on he's p's. I asked him whats the go with he's insurance and he has full comprehensive on the car and he's insurance company didn't even ask him whether or not he's allowed to drive turbo'd cars.

Thats cause they are happy to take a fools money. It is up to the individual to declare everything they reasonably know that will effect their policy when getting insurance. He is not licensed for that catagory of vehicle, insurance will be denied full stop. So if it gets stolen or something he is out what $30K? The risk isn't worth it.

Thats cause they are happy to take a fools money. It is up to the individual to declare everything they reasonably know that will effect their policy when getting insurance. He is not licensed for that catagory of vehicle, insurance will be denied full stop. So if it gets stolen or something he is out what $30K? The risk isn't worth it.

Lol if a car gets stolen how are they ever going to tell it was a turbo if it never gets recovered ?

Lol if a car gets stolen how are they ever going to tell it was a turbo if it never gets recovered ?

Because its registered as a turbo. Insurance and RTA already have these details in the above example. Are you suggesting you insure an XR6T as just an XR6? Trust me they can tell the difference. If its never recovered then your only going to get a payout of what an XR6 non turbo is worth which is significantly less than a turbo model in the second hand market (not to mention fraud which carries jail time if they do ever recover it)...

i live in melbourne and these new laws are pathetic, the rules here is if you didnt obtain your probationary license by july 1st 2007 you arnt allowed to drive a turbo charged vehicle or any super charged or v8... ( made me get an na) and now after july 1st 2008 theres gonna be another law with passengers. i think its like only 1 passenger after a certain time. its getting ridiculous. i under stand that once the car starts boosting it can get out of control but any car can freak out eg in the wet. like people were saying before its to much risk to drive a trubo on grreen ps. as soon as they see its a skyline on green ps you will get pulled over straight away

and insurance also doesnt cover it

Thank God these laws haven't made it to WA,

yet...

I can whine about WA for a whole bunch of crap (Poor TPG ADSL 2+ support, expensive computer parts etc etc).

But this fact makes it all much better :)

so my mate has a turbo car and he is on his green ps. he is in debt for buying the car. and its also a 4L 6cyl turbo.....

does anyone know if the cops pulled him over and releasied the car is turbo what would happen?

they take it and what happens next?

thanks heaps.... i wanna know so i can tell him how stupid he is hahaa

If he got his red P's before the 14th of July, 2005 in NSW (meaning he is on his green P's now), then he has nothing to worry about. The restriction rules don't apply to him. No need to tell him how stupid he is if he's not doing anything wrong.

Edited by maz3

Some laws are a little grey.. Like this no turbo one, it was just a bandaid on a broken leg.. There have been more fatalities for P platers since these laws came in.. The government just caved in to the media..

If Person X is driving his daddy's BMW something something 2007 model pushing out 190kw's+

There's a good reason for that.

I think they should just ban anyone under 18 having a license. :)

You're not allowed to vote under 18, your not allowed to smoke or drink so why should you be able to hold other peoples lives in the hands of a car.

More then 15,000 p-platers lose license

Car get's impounded. He will get several fines including unlicensed driving, etc.... The number plates will be put on the register so if that cars on the road again it'll get picked on. And also with queensland now having the 1 strike your out for the first year of your p's he will loose his license.

Also the qld government is now trying to introduce restrictions so p's can only drive 4cyl's....

But thats the queensland laws

Car get's impounded. He will get several fines including unlicensed driving, etc.... The number plates will be put on the register so if that cars on the road again it'll get picked on. And also with queensland now having the 1 strike your out for the first year of your p's he will loose his license.

Also the qld government is now trying to introduce restrictions so p's can only drive 4cyl's....

But thats the queensland laws

VTec yo!

Queensland wants to stop its P platers from driving Falcodores?

That sounds like political suicide.

• 4 weeks later...

What really Pisses me off with the new Qld laws is the time which p platers have to hold there licence for. I am unable to get my opens till 25 but in other states its 21, now the restriction of power isnt that big of a deal but to hold a licence for an extra 4 years is rediculous. They should of made it that the whole of 2007 had to abide by the rules or no-one at all, u cant devide the population, its just asking for the rules to be broken...This topic really F$%ken shits me!!!!!!

p plater laws help our car prices, initially dropping them(car prices) but once those suckers get there blacks they will be hunting down a nice skyrine to drop the vtec peice of shiza (can be say "shit" any more? or am i guna get banned?) honda (unless they are zippin round in a nsx lol)

So are kids getting smart and buying rotaries? porting them and pushing a old rx7 way past the speed a skyline could get to in 400m?

Edited by DECIM8

Its a complete loss of licence.. for at least 3 months..

In NSW anyways..

Wouldn't the price of NA skylines go up?

Edited by GTS4WD

My mate got done driving his WRX engine'd Liberty. They issued him with a fine (think it was like $318) which carries 7 points. In other words its a loss of licence. I was a passenger in the car and they got me to drive it home. I too am a green P plater but I got my licence pre ban so I am all good. I had to feel sorry for my mate, we were driving along doing the speed limit and nothing illegal, we just got pulled into an RBT and they did him. There is like 3-4 months between us as to when we got our P's yet I am allowed to drive turbo's and he is not. Seems kinda silly to me.

You're not allowed to vote under 18, your not allowed to smoke or drink so why should you be able to hold other peoples lives in the hands of a car.

When put like that, that actually makes some sense imo

And as to QLD wanting to restrict to 4cyl that's crazy. I'd rather be in a crash in a Statesman (v6 or v8) then in a Getz.

depends on the copper that pulls your mate over too...

if its hwp he's screwed.. he could try dodging the cops for a yr or two.. but i dunno how successful he'll be lol..