SAU Community

Pulled Over For...eating

I've got a question,

A good mate of mine just called me saying she was given a 'warning' by a cop (btw in NSW) for eating while driving. Let's call it "eat driving" :)

Anyway, she's on her green P's and drives a Festiva. Hasn't had a fine yet. She was at a red light eating a sandwich, had been fasting for Lent and was starving. So that's why she was 'eat driving' :wave:

The cop pulled her over, told her off, scared the sh!t out of her, and let her off with a warning.

WTF? Is it a traffic offence to 'eat drive'?

What's next? "Mate, i'm giving you a fine for breathing. Don't do it next time."

:rant:

Edited by R338OY

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some cops man, i sware they pull over the P-platers like that just to scare them. im sorry sir but i saw you blinking, heres a 200$ fine

that being said there are some cool cops there, just not that many of them.

btw, its Adam from Livo KK's here

WTF are you serious? Maybe i could slightly understand it if you had like a coke in one hand and a buger in the other while doing 100 on the freeway, but taking a bite out of a sandwich at a red light? Cops seriously have nothing better to do than crap like this?

IANAL and I don't work for VicRoads but I believe anything other than the gear stick which would cause you to take 2 hands off the steering wheel is an offence in Victoria.

Check your local laws but it doesn't surprise me... even if it is a bit rediculous.

should clarify this one. if it isnt illegal she can tell the cop to climb a pole next time they pull her over for it. theres nothing when i did my learners about not being allowed to eat.

then again my mate was eating away from a chinese takeaway box in a manual. funny as, spoon rice mouth change gears steer spoon rice mouth....etc

worst offender i ever seen was a guy in traffic shaving while in traffic...No not with a portable electric type but with shaving cream and a razor...God knows how he was cleaning the razor in between swipes

theres nothing when i did my learners about not being allowed to eat.

The road user's manual also states that it doesn't cover every road rule out there, so just because you didn't cover it on your L's doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I'm pretty sure doing something like that, where you don't have both hands on a vehicle control because you're doing something distracting, would be illegal.

Ok, so having both hands off of the steering wheel and eating is an offecnce, i agree, however having one hand on the wheel and the other having a drink, smoke, eating something, scratching your nuts etc is fine, agreed?

Therefore we need to go back to the original post and ask, was the person eating the sandwich at the light using one hand or two? lol.

Edited by PM-R33

it's can be argued as negligent driving. so yeah, it can be illegal to eat/drink/smoke/wank/scrath yourself whilst operating a motor vehicle. I would assume the application of negligent driving law is up to the officer.

haha holy crap wish id known that earlier...

few weeks ago i finished work early and was driving to the shops while eating a sandwhich, pull up to lights and a cop pulls up next to me so i raise the sandwhich in a 'cheers' fashion and take off casually from the lights. Side note, im a P-plater in a Skyline.

Dam lucky or just awesome cops

its just like using a phone, altho it is less of a distraction, unless your eating on of those choco coated ice creams and go chasing the big bit of chocolate that broke off and fell down beside ur seat haha

Same thing as being on the phone.

You think you can do both tasks at once, but you all know how dangerous it gets.. Esp sms while driving lol..

But the cop probably thought she was hot, so he pulled her over :/

Just like on today tonight. The cop who stalked some model and pulled her over each time he saw her driving. Think she mentioned up to 20times by that same cop..

Anyone see it?

Edited by siddr20

I agree with the points you've raised guys, thanks for that.

It seems that leaving things like "don't eat drive" from the learner's manual but potentially booking you for it later on is illogical.

My bet is she got picked on for being on her P's. She almost cried :/

What's the lesson in all this?