SAU Community

Are Std Rb26 And N1 Rods Interchangable?

I need to replace a rod in an N1 engine and need to know if a standard RB26 rod is exactly the same?]

Hey mate, from what i read i do believe they are, Daniel from Justjap sent me this (i was looking at the option of purchasing a brand new N1 instead of rebuilding...)

"The N1 engine is the stock R32-R33 Skyline GT-R motor. Was first developed by Nismo for Group A racing purposes. The standard RB26DETT, although known for its durability, proved to require too much maintenance for Group A racing conditions. The N1 engine is built from the standard N1 block. The water cooling channels in the block are enhanced for better flowing. The block, and internal components are also strengthened. The pistons have 1.2 mm (0.0 in) top rings, but otherwise as standard. The connecting rods are the same as standard, and the crankshaft is standard but balanced. The specifications of the camshafts were also improved for power. The N1 engine uses the same parallel twin turbocharger layout but with improved turbochargers. The N1 engine also received an upgraded oil pump and water pump, to improve the cooling and lubrication of the engine. The N1 engine is identified by its 24U number stamped on the block, as opposed to the 05U stamp on standard RB26DETT engines."

Hope this helps,

Big Mike