SAU Community

R34 Bottom End

hi guys just a few questions,

unfortunately it turns out my r34 needs a new bottom end to get it back on the road. the head is fine. ive heard u can replace r33 bottom ends with VL bottom ends, is this the same case or are the 34 engines different?

i really just need to know where i can get a r34 bottom end or somthing that i can substitute it for. is there any dealers i could go through that sell engines or watever or am i going to just have to look around for somone selling 1?

and any idea on a rough price for the part?

thanks

putting a vl bottom end in your car would be stroking the engine to 3.0L which is what i done.

10x better then using the standard bottom ends, quicker spool, more power, everything.

it comes at a cost though......and a very expensive one at that.

if your lookn at just replacing everything, and not building the motor to handle more power.

just look around wreckers and on the forums for complete/bottom end motors.

should be ablt to get a complete for around 4k and a bottom end for about 1-2k

Decide what you want to do with the car first, and what your budget is.

If you dont want to get above 270rwkw, then get another stock bottom end. CHEAPEST 2-3k

Up to 370rwkw i would use a forged rb25 bottom end. 5k+

Above 370rwkw (if you can afford it) go the forged RB30 10K+

All prices are drive in drive out, you can save cash if you DIY.

there are alot of workshops that have these kits for under $4k with a std bottom end and using an rb25 head which you supply (usually ripped off your motor). id still rather a standard rb30 bottom end than a standard rb25 bottom end - go the rb30 if you've got the choice.

blew my 25 bottom end about a year and a half ago, did the rb30 conversion myself, got the bottom end with 160,xxx on it for $90, used the timing belt from a 96 model vw something for $99 new, had an oil return welded into the sump for $10 and engine crane rental for the weekend was like $60 from memory.. so all up around $300, it's really not rocket science, definently check out the rb30 conversion thread at the top of this page.

engine is still running strong pushing 250rwkw + 30,000km later and it's not had an easy life :D