SAU Community

Painting My Rims

chef_stagea

hey guys im thinking of painting my gold racing hart rims black.. just getting over it :) what do u guys think and would it be hard to do?? obviously want a decent job haha put up sum pics so u can sus cheers.

post-47249-1208694120_thumb.jpg

post-47249-1208694284_thumb.jpg

Edited by chef_stagea

Hmmmm: I'm about to do the same: R34 GTR rims to be painted really dark grey, almost black, but with heaps of metallic, and plenty of clear... I love the Dark rims look!

so u rekn i should do it? whats the best way to go about it?

to paint your rims you will first have to clean them with thinners to remove all dirt/crap. then sand them with 400wet and dry. then apply a good undercoat once it has dried sand again with 400 wet and dry remember to apply water to the rims. leave it to dry completely. now your ready to paint have your chosen paint ready to use. apply several lite complete coats to achieve a good result. and finish with a coat or to of clear. hope that helps :)

i had my rims (now on kylies stagea) powder coated gloss black, cost me $40 a rim, and came out perfect!

i'll likely be getting kylies old 18's (that are on my legnum :3some:) powder coated a gunmetal grey too.

painting has more options, however i'm lead to believe powder coating is a stronger coating.

painting has more options, however i'm lead to believe powder coating is a stronger coating.

Yeah me too, powder coating is the way to go I think, $40/rim is a bargain :3some: wish there were places that cheap in Adelaide

well I can't talk for R338OY but I say... yes.

and be sure to let us know when you get your 'stagea art' published in a magazine :3some:

where should i start looking to get it done in adelaide?? oi im a maddd man with 'paint' :)

i work in a factory in regency park and am the powder coater there. i dont have sand blasting at my disposal but i can paint anything u want. dont have all the colours under the sun but i can assure u of a good job.done a few sets in my time plus other engine parts etc. i will just leave clear coating to u guys (spray can will do fine) or i can buy clear powder finish at an extra cost but that just depends on how many people want parts done as it will leave the finish in better condition for a longer time. i dont like to advertise that i do this as a job much cause everybody wants something done but im glad to help out everynow and then.

paint them shadow chrome - best colour in the world for rims imo

its like a polished version of gunmetal, and it looks wicked on a silver car!

PS here's a great DIY i found whole searching for V35 stuff: http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php...ight=paint+rims

it also shows you the shadow chrome look in all its glory!

Edited by WazR32GTSt

paint them shadow chrome - best colour in the world for rims imo

its like a polished version of gunmetal, and it looks wicked on a silver car!

PS here's a great DIY i found whole searching for V35 stuff: http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php...ight=paint+rims

it also shows you the shadow chrome look in all its glory!

Thats a great DIY tutorial might have to give it a go... i love my R34 GTR rims as they are but my stock Autech rims really could do with a bit of flare and as i am going to be putting them on soon as my winter rims i might just have to get painting... Mind you they are a multi thousand spoke type wheel not like these ones this guy was doing... may be a touch harder. Still worth a shot, i like the shadow chrome look and that paint he got looked excellent had a real sparkle 2 it.

well I can't talk for R338OY but I say... yes.

and be sure to let us know when you get your 'stagea art' published in a magazine :)

Keep watching HPI.

I've been pissing in Mr Round's pocket for a while now.

i gotmy rims painted gloss black with gold glitter and heaps of clear looks mad best thing i ever got done .painter hated me as it took him hours to get the rims clean as tire shine soaks into the alloy which i never knew but yeh .