SAU Community

Getting A Gtr

Hi all, im going to get a r32 gtr says 49km on it, I already saw it and test drove it, it seemed fine, but should I bring it to a mechanic and get a compression test ect? also are they prone to breaking down or quite reliable if you dont drive it like mad? I have acouple mechanic friends but they never worked on a skyline before is it pretty straight forward to do the timing belt and such?

I think you should always get it checked out by a mechanic that knows about them. Don't just get a mate to check it if they don't know about skylines. take it to a performance mechanic.

To my knowledge they are usually pretty reliable if looked after, also depends on what mods are done and how the previous owner looked after it.

That said it is a car and cars break down!!

Good luck with it, hope it treats you well!....

Thanks guys, so check oil and tranny oil, leakdown and compression test should do it?

rust and synchros are very common, so check them out.

GTR's are reliable as long as you perform maintenance in accordance with how you drive it...drive it hard=more maintenance and possible breakages. I dont drive mine as a daily driver but some guys do...I think they're too special to waste on the drudgery of work.

Get the car up on a hoist and check the underside, 49K sounds too low. Look for signs of wear and tear.

Good luck

Like what others have already suggested, don't pay so much attention on the km's as it is pretty much impossible to find a genuine example unless full log book has been provided. Otherwise, you just don't know the history of the car.

You should do a general overall body and chassis check 1st BEFORE even looking into the mechanical side of things as none of the other bits will help if the car has a bent or a "straightened" chassis. A majority of GTR's on the market will have some kinda of repair done to them, such as panel replacement...etc. This is fine, as long as the chassis alright.

For a general body check (BRING A GOOD FLASH LIGHT WITH YOU!!) and check the following:

- Look for uneven panel gaps around the bonnet, bumper, door, side skirts, rear bumper, rear boot lid, lights. Use your hand to feel the gap on both side of the car and see if they are the same.

- Look in the engine bay and see if there are any evidence of fresh/mismatching paint

- Check all the bolts (e.g. bonnet hinge bolt) and see if they've been turned

- Check the bog lines in the engine bay and see if they are consistant on both side of the car

- Check in the wheel arch with your flash light and see if there are any crack or RUST, or any inconsistancies.

- Check all around under the car with your flash light and see if there are any RUST, bent or damaged support rail or any inconsistancies.

- Check all around under the car for any sign of oil leak.

- Check in the boot, remove the carpet and spare wheel and see if there are any major rust (minor surface rust is ok).

- Stick your hand into behind both rear quarter panels (where the car jack are kept) and feel if it is damp or has water collecting in there or rusty.

One of the huge thing to look out for is RUST. Some surface rust is ok since its a 15 year old car, but deep rust with bits flaking off will need treatement urgently and you should stay away from such car. STAY AWAY from cars with a painted bottom (usually black), which maybe an attempt to hide repair marks, or even a 2 car in 1 or 3 car in 1. STAY AWAY from cars if there are clamp marks or unusual gashes on the bottom support rail (straightening machine mark). One thing that I found when I was shopping for my 32GTR is that you HAVE to look at at least a couple different cars and compare. This way, you'll have a better idea of the general condition and whats good and whats not.

I still recommend you getting it independantly inspected by a qualified mechanic if you are unsure.

Edited by __PhaseShiftDown

Hi all, im going to get a r32 gtr says 49km on it, I already saw it and test drove it, it seemed fine, but should I bring it to a mechanic and get a compression test ect? also are they prone to breaking down or quite reliable if you dont drive it like mad? I have acouple mechanic friends but they never worked on a skyline before is it pretty straight forward to do the timing belt and such?

Thats sounds way too low! Unless the previous owner drove it once a year... If not, its been winded back to a rediculous amount which is just stupid and no one would believe.

Has it got a 180km/h speedo (stock)? Only thing to judge by the K's being genuine (but still)

Check out the interior

Listen out for sounds, noises.

Check the gauges, take it for a test drive.

Check out the engine bay with your mechanic. (Prefferbley get a mechanic who works on performance cars)

Ask as many questions as you can, which will make you see how genuine the seller is.

Check for weld spots in the engine bay and get the chassis checked out thoroughly. You really want to make sure that if it has been in an accident that the repairs were done correctly (and lets face it; a much higher proportion of these cars have been in accidents than we actually realise).