SAU Community

Venting Some Frustration

Terminal

Just filled up. $4.20, not happy jan, last time I filled up the scooter it cost $4.05, and that only gets me ~200kms........ what will I do.....................

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

petrol to go to work

parking in city car park

morgage

thats 47.5% of my before-tax wage

and around 60% of my after tax wage

cost of living, and cost of working, is a joke, compared to wage received

Hey lets put our army to some proper use...let it take over the oil companies.. and turn them into non profit organisations..I for one am sick of profit being made from stuff that gets taken out of the ground that belongs to everyone..same goes for mining..what the hell has the average aussie got from the mining boom..jack!..

One more thing..the petrol engine is pretty basic technology...you watch the alternitave fuels come out of the woodwork once oil is no longer profitable...dog poo would be my fuel of choice...dam muts seem to shit three times as much mass as I feed them!

ps..I forgot...the oil companies tell the army what to do.

Hey Boys,

Just received an interesting email (below) going around about this topic - Whata ya's think???

=====================================

Some of you have fuel cards with other companies so you think that none of this applies to you.

Well it sure as hell does !!! When fuel costs go up, ALL goods and services increase in price.

When this feeds into inflation, the Reserve Bank increases interest rates !!!

Forward this to as many people that you can and lets make them take notice.

-----------------------------------------------------------

LET'S JUST DO IT ! ! !

THIS IS NOT THE 'DON'T BUY' PETROL FOR ONE DAY, BUT IT WILL SHOW YOU HOW WE CAN GET PETROL BACK DOWN TO $1.00 PER Litre....hopefully

This was originally sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. If you are tired of the gas prices going up AND they will continue to rise this winter, take time to read this PLEASE.

Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day' campaign that was going around last April or May!

It's worth your consideration. Join the resistance!!!!

We are going to hit $ 2.00 a litre and it might go higher!! Want petrol prices to come down?

We need to take some intelligent, united action. The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to 'hurt' ourselves by refusing to buy petrol.

It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can Really work. Please read on and join with us!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a liter of gas is CHEAP at $1.50, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace...not sellers.

With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action.

The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their petrol! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying petrol.

But we CAN have an impact on petrol prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from BP

Australia the biggest price up driver company.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of BP Australia petrol buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to 20 people. If each of us s end it to at least ten more (20 x 10 = 200) .. And those 200 send it to at least ten more (200 x 10 = 2000 ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over TWO MILLION consumers.

If those get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 20 million people will have been contacted!

If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... TWO HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all!

I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you!

Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO BELOW THE $1.50 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.

Simple – send the message along to other and do not buy petrol from BP Australia.

=================================================

Just thought I'd share it here.............

DID YOU SEE 7 news tonight? The CEO of Caltex said they only make 2C/l on petrol.

After the news item I believe his nose grew 175mm.

He is now trying to change his name by Deed Poll. PIN...Pin......ooo????

Damn! I just lost my entire reply... but it went a little like this (just much longer),

Changi -

1. The consequences of soaring fuel costs are that the governments and private enterprise will fund the development and implementation of cheaper alternative fuels much sooner. The benefit to this is that most alternative fuels which are relatively cheap are also much cleaner.

2. I didn't claim Brazil did it for the planet, I clearly stated Brazil did it for economic benefit. Although bio-fuels do have greener credentials than petrol - that is a side benefit for Brazil.

3. Not all alternative fuels are created equal, an electric vehicle in Australia is not necessarily a good idea... even an efficient electric vehicle. When you consider that Australian electricity is primarily sourced from coal burning plants, 1kWh of electricity generates approximately .99kg of carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions (unless you're on 100% green accredited electricity like me!). Petrol emits approximately 2.3kg of CO2 per Litre so your emissions depend on the fuel efficiency of your vehicle. An electric car (Wrightspeed X1) emits 12.375kg of CO2 per 100kms, by comparison a petrol/electric hybrid like the Toyota Prius emits approximately 10.1kg of CO2 per 100kms. So a petrol /electric car can be cleaner than a petrol only car in Australia. I realise these are different spec vehicles, but I couldn't find too many electric only cars to compare.

FULOCK -

This is just another email scam designed to make you forward the email to as many people as possible. You're basically becoming the virus that sends the email to your entire address book.

Don't so it.... it won't work. There are too many reasons why it won't work.

Some other points:

- Car companies are torn between technologies at this stage and will continue to produce vehicles using a diverse range of fuels until the courtiers of the world (probably China, India and the US) decide on one or two sources of fuel as a replacement. The sooner governments force a direction for the car companies to take the cheaper the manufacture of these cars becomes as productions increases.

- Rising petrol prices is a fact of life. Simple. Deal with it. We have known this for a very long time. Oil is a finite resource that is a demand globally and it is a basic economic principal of supply and demand. It's another really good reason to consider green renewable resources when deciding on our next choice of fuel.

Damn! I just lost my entire reply... but it went a little like this (just much longer),

Changi -

1. The consequences of soaring fuel costs are that the governments and private enterprise will fund the development and implementation of cheaper alternative fuels much sooner. The benefit to this is that most alternative fuels which are relatively cheap are also much cleaner.

2. I didn't claim Brazil did it for the planet, I clearly stated Brazil did it for economic benefit. Although bio-fuels do have greener credentials than petrol - that is a side benefit for Brazil.

3. Not all alternative fuels are created equal, an electric vehicle in Australia is not necessarily a good idea... even an efficient electric vehicle. When you consider that Australian electricity is primarily sourced from coal burning plants, 1kWh of electricity generates approximately .99kg of carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions (unless you're on 100% green accredited electricity like me!). Petrol emits approximately 2.3kg of CO2 per Litre so your emissions depend on the fuel efficiency of your vehicle. An electric car (Wrightspeed X1) emits 12.375kg of CO2 per 100kms, by comparison a petrol/electric hybrid like the Toyota Prius emits approximately 10.1kg of CO2 per 100kms. So a petrol /electric car can be cleaner than a petrol only car in Australia. I realise these are different spec vehicles, but I couldn't find too many electric only cars to compare.

FULOCK -

This is just another email scam designed to make you forward the email to as many people as possible. You're basically becoming the virus that sends the email to your entire address book.

Some other points:

- Car companies are torn between technologies at this stage and will continue to produce vehicles using a diverse range of fuels until the courtiers of the world (probably China, India and the US) decide on one or two sources of fuel as a replacement. The sooner governments force a direction for the car companies to take the cheaper the manufacture of these cars becomes as productions increases.

- Rising petrol prices is a fact of life. Simple. Deal with it. We have known this for a very long time. Oil is a finite resource that is a demand globally and it is a basic economic principal of supply and demand. It's another really good reason to consider green renewable resources when deciding on our next choice of fuel.

well now you have me confused. you wrote that Brazil was the "glory country" in regard to proving the economics of biofuel production. how so? are they going to leave their huge oil reserves in the ground?. are they going to give up their position as one of the world's two biggest coal exporters?. I don't think so. you also say that biofuels are more efficient and cheaper; clearly not the case, ...yet. if they were, economics would have ensured them a greater share of the market; considering the technology to produce these fuels has been there for decades.

my point on "saving the planet" is that with the increased production of biofuels, the world price of grain has soared . prices are so high, that poorer governments/aid agencies of the world can no longer afford to feed the starving. put simply, the world does not have the ability to both, feed 6 billion people, and to fill fuel tanks with biofuels. the biofuel lobby has obviously forgotten the hungry.

one other point, you write that supply and demand come into play and we need to deal withit. I don't have aproblem with that except that there isn't a supply problem. there is plenty of oil out there in the market and the exporters are nowhere near full production. what is new in the oil market is a great increase in "speculators". they are not refiners, they act like middle men. that increases the price. so, why should we all pay a "tax" so greedy traders and oil producers can milk the world dry.

Changi -

FULOCK -

Some other points:

interesting point on where we source our power from. i was having this exact debate on another forum, im very pro-electric cars, theyre suitable for so many people. in australia we really waste a lot of natural power sources primarly the sun. we have an enormous amount of sunlight and solar energy falling on this country, we should use it.

Thats very much true, we have some of the best exposure to sunlight across the globe, but regarding the fuel tax, i saw something on 7 news in the morn saying something about reviewing the fuel tax . Maybe a win for drivers is just over the hill ?

I wish they get rid of this ridiculous tax.

MRXTCZ

the problem with sunlight exposure is that the best areas to absorb it is in northern WA and western NT. not a lot of people live up there, and getting solar power generated up there really wouldn't help where the majority of people live on the east coast. that said you can generate solar energy everywhere, however it's more efficient in areas with larger solar exposure.

petrol RETAILERS do not make sweet FA off selling fuel. This is why they are all starting to be bought out by large retailers such as woolies and coles. They are the only companies who can make it work and not run at a loss, by cross-selling groceries etc.

Wanna know why 'pay at the pump' was canned, and why we still pay for fuel AFTER filling, and not before? because the retailer goes backwards. The only area they make enough money to open their doors is by cross selling in store. When people pay for fuel first, or pay at the pump, they dont make a dime cos the customer doesnt walk in the store.

Ive worked in petrol stations, and work in one now, and have a parent who recently resigned as South QLD manager for a petrol retailer. ive seen p/l reports.

The government excise is 38.1c/L, and then there is gst on top of that (tax on a tax). When they lower that it will help, but that is a LOT of dollars nationwide that the government would just get from us in another way.

Wind Powa.

Way to go. There is enough hot air at all levels of government.

Put lots of wind generators in Canberra, at all state Parliaments and especially local government offices.

Problem solved.

I wonder how you can boost an electricmobile?

The government excise is 38.1c/L, and then there is gst on top of that (tax on a tax). When they lower that it will help, but that is a LOT of dollars nationwide that the government would just get from us in another way.

True. I also think its funny how everyone thinks petrol prices may go down, because the Govt is reviewing its tax on fuel.

Who's to say they're not looking at increasing fuel taxes, considering there are other countries with higher taxes on fuel!?!

And who's to say if the tax falls that the petrol retailers won't offset this drop for profits in their pockets?

Fuel is only going up guys ... and its only going up because some fool says "Fuel will hit $1.65 by the end of the week". Think about it.

:woot:

The idea of boycoting individual petrol companies is a great idea...I came up with it about a year ago ..when the dumb idea of not buying petrol for a day was thunk up by some the sphincter of the universe...It is a viable way for "people power" to work....the thought of mister sevice staiont man sitting all day...not collecting any money...really makes me feel good..spread the word and decide on the first oil company and a start date.

ps. I really do want the glory for this one when it goes down.

I don't think there's a lot the government can do. Oil is expensive, which makes petrol expensive. it's expensive all over the world, there's not a lot the australian government can do to reduce the price by any substantial amount. any reductions are just bandaid solutions. bring on higher fuel costs, it makes renewable technologies more feasable.

Wind Powa.

Way to go. There is enough hot air at all levels of government.

Put lots of wind generators in Canberra, at all state Parliaments and especially local government offices.

Problem solved.

I wonder how you can boost an electricmobile?

well just pump up the juice going into the motor. more voltage. the thing is when electric motors are rated, they have to be rated at a power level they can sustain indefinitely. if its rated at 30kw then it has to be able to remain at that power level without heat issues. you can increase the voltage for short bursts and run the motor over its rated power level. obviously there would be more wear but thats no different to a IC engine. ie cars dont run around on full throttle all the time, increasing boost in an engine reduces total lifespan etc