SAU Community

Flange Or Vband

Nomad

Vband makes it quicker and easier to remove the turbo as you dont have to screw around with the nuts that can be hard to get off after a while

other than that I dont think there is any real benefit - looks cooler!

V-band is much better. easier to position, better sealing, does not leak when hot, ummm easier to take on and off. you should use them everywhere that is possible! even for your exhaust joints if you have the $$.

that is the only downside to B-band I know of. Cost. they are much more expensive than traditional flanges.

i find my vbands on my tial gate screamer pipe and one on the hks t04z turbo to exhuast both leak from looking at them when removed, i have one further down the exhuast and that doesnt leak, any ideas to stop them leaking? they fit up perfect so its not like the fitment of the exhuast isnt right.

they shouldnt leak unless they are warped badly or have high and lows somewhere along the rings that is stopping it from sealing completely. But normally v bands are an excellent and bulletproof way of joining pipes.

I love them! All turbos should have them for exhaust in and out, would make it so much easier to fit and remove...plus neatness!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
i find my vbands on my tial gate screamer pipe and one on the hks t04z turbo to exhuast both leak from looking at them when removed, i have one further down the exhuast and that doesnt leak, any ideas to stop them leaking? they fit up perfect so its not like the fitment of the exhuast isnt right.

Ever sorted out this issue bro???

I've heard they seize up after a while as well

Any reoccurring probs with vband style flanges??? My concern is with the sealing.

Ever sorted out this issue bro???

I've heard they seize up after a while as well

Any reoccurring probs with vband style flanges??? My concern is with the sealing.

i am assuming they are only leaking when cold and when warmed up are fine. I never hear a leaking noise or anything so it doesnt bother me. The car never got drivin often and was taken off the road shortly after so never really fixed it.

I've got the same thing...

I think The major advantage of V-Band connections off a turbo would be if ur dump goes straight into a bend... like mine...

I have nuts on mine and have to work the dump pipe off while i undo one of the nuts...

v bands are easier. the springy ones. the 2 piece ones are pretty fidly..

but flanges do allow for some missalignment if you much it up somewhere.

The 2 piece one ur referring to is this

post-42272-1262724612_thumb.jpg

And this is the springy one right

post-42272-1262724650_thumb.jpg

Are they interchangeable?

they are interchangeable just need the right diameter... not that expensive really i paid $10 each for the v band itself and the rings to weld to the pipework... my tial ext. gate, and 4 v bands on the exhaust...easier to take on and off and easier to work with in confined areas...

Speaking of v-bands...

Just been working on the exhaust system.

Unbolt the downpipe from the rest of the exhaust to get a piece of the exhaust out to weld the resonator into.

Hmm, the downpipe connection onto the turbo exhaust housing seems a bit loose or something.. *rattle* WTF the dump pipe just fell off the turbo! *takes the turbo 'beanie' off* WTF there's no v-band clamp on the v-band connection, IT HAD BEEN WELDED ON!! D: I have no idea how long it has been broken off like that for since the dump pipe connection to the rest of the exhaust would've been holding it in place, but it would've been leaking like mad and still is! Gonna organise a v-band clamp now, luckily the exhaust housing isn't broken! Only the weld.

In the pic, exhaust housing to the left, dump pipe hanging down on the right, you can see the broken weld on the turbo.

fnxpfu5o.jpg

Speaking of v-bands...

Just been working on the exhaust system.

Unbolt the downpipe from the rest of the exhaust to get a piece of the exhaust out to weld the resonator into.

Hmm, the downpipe connection onto the turbo exhaust housing seems a bit loose or something.. *rattle* WTF the dump pipe just fell off the turbo! *takes the turbo 'beanie' off* WTF there's no v-band clamp on the v-band connection, IT HAD BEEN WELDED ON!! D: I have no idea how long it has been broken off like that for since the dump pipe connection to the rest of the exhaust would've been holding it in place, but it would've been leaking like mad and still is! Gonna organise a v-band clamp now, luckily the exhaust housing isn't broken! Only the weld.

In the pic, exhaust housing to the left, dump pipe hanging down on the right, you can see the broken weld on the turbo.

How far back is ur 1st exhaust mount??

Could have been caused by having to much weight hanging off the turbo...