SAU Community

Rb30e

ahh 33 s2

hey all

just bought my rb30e on the weekend and am almost certain its a series two block however there are a few little things that are warrying me. i have attached some photos so those in the now can hopefully put my mind at ease..

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a272/danp_87/side1.jpg

as you can see in this photo it has 2 of the 3 holes you would think it should have

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a272/danp_87/front.gif

and in this photo it appears to have the flat area above the water pump for the second tensioner location.

i havent pulled too much of it yet cos if it is the wrong motor it can go back in the quokka next week.

also on a totally unrelted thing. the 26 head has the same stud pattern as the 30 block just a thicker stud yeh??

thanks for all the help

dan

i cant see and oil drain

looks like a series one to me

every n/a block that i've seen that has the provisions for the turbo oil and coolant feed didnt have the oil drain

i wouldnt bet my left nut on it, but i would say its more than likely a series 2

yeah its a series one, from memory they had a bung in the side of the sump dont quote me on it,

however it isnt hard to get it put in , the flat round surface at the bottom of the block below where the word nissan is is where you can drill and tap a hole for a 3/4 inch fitting,

while your at it you could have a T fitting put in there so you can have a drain back for a catch can in the future...just thinking ahead.

ok im in doubt now, it may be a series one. can you get a better pic of where the oil drain is (if you know) or just a better pic of that same side of the block

^oil return is in the block, its that black area just to the bottom left of the '67S'. for the thread starter, this is what i wanted the pic of, does it have a big square in the midle of it like for a ratchet to fit into?

Edited by VB-

They have an oil feed, water feed, and an oil drain. All of which have bolts in them for NA purposes. It is just a matter of drilling and tapping the holes on a series 1 block.

thats why i am in some doubt. it has two out of the three holes and yes its missing the oil drain hole. however above the water pump it does have the flat section to bolt the tensioner to that a series 1 does not. that is the part i am more concerned about. drilling and tapping the oil drain hole isnt so much of an issue. its having the area for the tensioner to sit on that i am more concerned about

you obviously haven't seen many then

its got no oil drain which means its a series one, its pretty simple

ease up tiger, i just said what ive actually seen with my own two eyes, i never said i was right...

I didn't think that the s1 and s2 were any different above the water pump.

ps. definately series one engine............

I have a s2 in the shed and it has the oil drain in the block ready to go.

I didn't think that the s1 and s2 were any different above the water pump.

ps. definately series one engine............

I have a s2 in the shed and it has the oil drain in the block ready to go.

its mentioned alot in the major sticky. thats why i was/am concerned.

but i looked at the pdf and did some quick measurements and will have a spot for the tensioner so have started to pull her apart. now awaiting available 26 head.

Rb30 e series one and series two.

the only difference i have ever seen(ive owned 10 vl commodores 4 skylines and a patrol) is the drain back for the turbo as described above.

the fact that they are 3 litre blocks mean they ALL HAVE THE FLAT SURFACE ABOVE THE WATERPUMP!.

the water feed and return lines actually travell around the back of the block from the intake side of the engine

similar to that of the rb20det engines

the ports for these are located near the rear heater hose as it exits the block and also the rear of the thermostat housing on the series two or from the block on the series one.

post-50030-1212282911_thumb.jpg

post-50030-1212282952_thumb.jpg

They definately dont all have the flat area above the waterpump, and the series 1(at least some of them)dont have the oil feed hole drilled from the oil filter boss to the other side of the block.

Edited by Adriano