SAU Community

Track Day Ready?

Duncan1

I have just sent off for my cams level 2 [speed] and affiliate club license applications in the mail, but i want to know what I/car will need to do a track day at qld raceway for instance....

Obviously helmet and so forth, but do i need anything done to my car, like extinguisher, tow sticker etc... All help would be greatly appreciated and would like some info on which clubs hire the raceway out on the weekends as thats the only time i can get off work to play.

Your help would be great :D

Yeah you'll need a fire extinguisher and perhaps a secondary bonnet restraint. And your cabin must be free of any loose items. Battery must be secure, etc.

Yeah you'll need a fire extinguisher and perhaps a secondary bonnet restraint. And your cabin must be free of any loose items. Battery must be secure, etc.

Thanks mate,

Seems like its pretty relaxed then, i thought that there would be officials going over the car etc,

Any ideas on which clubs hire the qr out on a frequent basis??

Edited by Duncan1

Sorry mate no idea ive never been to QR in my life. Im in Vic :thumbsup:

Yeah fair enough, sorry bout that, i didnt read your profile....

thanks for your help though.

Can anyone else offer any information about trackdays????? :D

Edited by Duncan1

Don't forget the triangle positioned where your battery is :D

ok thanks,,,

so i need

1x fire extinguisher

1x triangle where the battery is

1x tow sticker, or 2 or none?

1x helmet

1x set of full length clothes?

and nothing moving arounds the car.

and a leve 2 cams license?

I there anything else i should know?

Why do you need a triangle where the battery is? Ive never been to an open track day that needs tow stickers or anything. Unless you're competing then it may be a different story?

If you just want to do timeattack days or saturday afternoon sprints you don't need a CAMS licence or any additional safety equipment, although a fire extinguisher would be a good idea.

Licence wise for the abovementioned days at QR you need an AASA licence which you can organise on the day at the track or beforehand via electronic comms.

Safety wise you will need a helmet, long pants and sleeves (preferably cotton) and for your vehicle to be in a roadworthy state

If you just want to do timeattack days or saturday afternoon sprints you don't need a CAMS licence or any additional safety equipment, although a fire extinguisher would be a good idea.

Licence wise for the abovementioned days at QR you need an AASA licence which you can organise on the day at the track or beforehand via electronic comms.

Safety wise you will need a helmet, long pants and sleeves (preferably cotton) and for your vehicle to be in a roadworthy state

Thanks mate, appreciate your help.....hope to see you up there sometime.....

+1 for www.timeattack.com.au

The next Track Day Paul (mountainrunner) is running is the Nissan Time Attach Meeting, on the 8th July @ QR.

Should be a great day. (more details in my sign below)

BTW, Paul just ran his 2nd Lakeside Track day yesterday. a little rain, but was great to see the old track back in use!!!

Duncan1, Hope to see you one of the events!

Cheers

+1 for www.timeattack.com.au

The next Track Day Paul (mountainrunner) is running is the Nissan Time Attach Meeting, on the 8th July @ QR.

Should be a great day. (more details in my sign below)

BTW, Paul just ran his 2nd Lakeside Track day yesterday. a little rain, but was great to see the old track back in use!!!

Duncan1, Hope to see you one of the events!

Cheers

hehe i was there! :) was a nice rainy day..

i loved the 2x R32 GTR's :( the black one was hawt! and same with the other one..

Well done on deciding on getting out there Ben. +1 for the Timeattack days. Also look at the weekend events run by QR as they aren't too bad and have a lot of fairly normal cars running.

As stated you need very little up here to get out on QR or Lakeside or even Morgan Park for example. We have a relatively strong contingent of racers in Qld that get out there regularly so don't be afraid to walk up and say hello.

The only other thing you really need out there is to limit your expectations and drive sensibly. Build your speed through the day and try not to outbrake yourself into any corners just yet. Ignore the laptimes of everyone else as well as any rubbish anyone else might pile on you for maybe being slower than drivers in lesser cars. It will happen, it has happened to everyone that has gone onto a racetrack. You are doing more by taking a steady day out there and learning then most of the latte sippers around the place who are Gran Turismo experts :banana:

So enjoy and feel free to ask any questions you want. There are no stupid ones unless they are the ones you don't ask.