SAU Community

Stagea M35 *looking To Buy*

Dreamah

Hi Guys, Might aswell introduce myself aswell. Im Blair from South oz.

Just recently started looking at starting my own business and thought well i'll buy a VZ commy station wagon dump it and work out the back of that. But the other day I saw a early Stagea cruize down the road and thought maybe I should look at something like that. I would be more interested in the later model M35, I dont think I could justify spending the extra 10g for a Autech though..

Basicly im just wondering are they reliable?

Fuel consumption through the roof?

(Doubt it would me any heavier on fuel then a VZ wagon)

Any renown problems?

Ive had abit of a look online and in the paper, Cant seem to come across any M35's in adelaide, But im thinking something along the lines of this would suit me:

http://carpoint.com.au/used-car/NISSAN/STA...csn5833956.aspx

Thanks in advance,

Cheers Blair

Edited by Dreamah

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

watch out for the turbo make sure you have an extended (worry free) warranty as repair is expensive as I found out

fortunately I didn't pay that much for my car - 13 grand only NZD plus shipping and otr (14 g's all up)

now goes like a dream and capable of getting 700 km's out of a tank

hi Blair

I have had aN M35 for about 4 months.

What a great car. Mine is a sport model cloth trim, three guages above standard size CD player.

Goes like a rocket with 3inch nismo exhaust system. The all wheel drive and hicas make for a very stable car at speed and amazing handling on wet winding roads. First auto I have owned and I have been suprised that is still an enjoyable car to drive. Yes it uses fuel mine is showing 8.6 km per litre at the moment. Best I have seen is 9.2km per litre.

Down side was a cracked rear sub frame you can see this area above the rear brake rotors on either side, (look through the wheel). I dont know if any others have had this problem. A new sub frame was ordered from Nissan Japan.

I could go on for ages about this great car, just look under at the running gear and you will want one.

Murray

Cheers Guys

Are they abit renownd for having a turbo problem Stag250?

Thanks bike nut, they are alot better on fuel then I thought they would have been.

Spose it depends on how hard your driving it though, There is a 2001 model C34

around the corner from me, going to go check it ou and see If I can sneak away

interstate in the next month or 2 and have a look at some M35's might even look

at importing aswell.

Once again thanks!

Edited by Dreamah

Cheers Guys

Are they abit renownd for having a turbo problem Stag250?

Thanks bike nut, they are alot better on fuel then I thought they would have been.

Spose it depends on how hard your driving it though, There is a 2001 model C34

around the corner from me, going to go check it ou and see If I can sneak away

interstate in the next month or 2 and have a look at some M35's might even look

at importing aswell.

Once again thanks!

HI, I have had my M35 now for about 9 months here in Adelaide, I have found the car to be great a all aspects, Fuel consumption has been around 7.5km per L around town and up to 9.9kM per L on the road.

I thought I had some turbo problems with mine as it was puffing a little smoke but it turned out to be on a valve stem seal. I wouldnt say that they are renowned for turbo problems as they us a very similar turbo the rb25neo engines but the problem is removing the turbo as it is in a difficult position. How much are you looking to spend ? Let me know if you have any other questions.

Dan

G'day Dan,

From what Ive seen you have to spend over 20k to get a M35, And every M35 ive seen are all very low on k's which either because Japans constant change over or they arnt genuine k's? I really have no idea? But I wouldnt want to spend anymore then 25k even thats getting up there.

When you say remove the turbo? Are you talking relocating or just losing it in general?

Also are you interested in selling?

Thanks for your help mate,

Cheers

Just bought an M35 Autech Axis - very smooth to drive, plenty of go (for what it is, my other car is a GTR with over 600hp!), quiet, not bad on the fuel economy, and it is very luxurious for the $$ with electric or automatic everything. All in all I am very happy with it

Andrew

G'day Dan,

When you say remove the turbo? Are you talking relocating or just losing it in general?

he's talking about removal for repair

the trouble is it is located just in front of the passenger's firewall and is very difficult to remove

in my case the mechanics got to the last bolt with a specially adapted tool but it had seized so engine and trans out it was

look for pics I posted in m35 info sticky above

HI, I have had my M35 now for about 9 months here in Adelaide, I have found the car to be great a all aspects, Fuel consumption has been around 7.5km per L around town and up to 9.9kM per L on the road.

I thought I had some turbo problems with mine as it was puffing a little smoke but it turned out to be on a valve stem seal. I wouldnt say that they are renowned for turbo problems as they us a very similar turbo the rb25neo engines but the problem is removing the turbo as it is in a difficult position. How much are you looking to spend ? Let me know if you have any other questions.

Dan

If only I could improve fuel consumption, Did anyone notice better or worse fuel consumption with the bigger exhaust...

Edited by Paramour

Thanks for the adivce guys ;)

Seems that if I go down the M35 path ill get someone to go right through the car, and even just check out how the turbo is holding up even though It might be a mamoth job.. Just to be on the safe side

The only thing that im a tad sceptical about is 1. The turbo 2. Fuel consumption (Considering im going to be doing anywhere from 20-60k a day) And 3. Reliability.

:D

Edited by Dreamah

Little more info for you.

I bought an AR-X with 72,000km's on it and it now has 102,000km's. I also have a complete exhaust and have had since I first got it. Just to let you know the boost is at about 15PSI(standard is 8PSI) and has been since the exhaust went on. I have had no Turbo problems at all and my car does get a hard time every now and again. If you run the correct fuels and keep it serviced you should have no turbo problems. However this does depend on like all cars, that it has been looked after properly in the past. As far as fuel consumption goes mine drinks about the same as a GENIII V8 Falcadore stationwagon....I have not put a piggy back ECU on it yet so it's also running very rich(PS They all run very rich)

P.S. Turbo is only $1,450 to rebuild with high flow setup and new steel impellers. Don't know about taking the turbo out but I am pretty sure(if I have no bolts ceased) that I can get it out from underneath.

Reliability - It's a NISSAN, what more can I say!

Edited by Jetwreck

Little more info for you.

I bought an AR-X with 72,000km's on it and it now has 102,000km's. I also have a complete exhaust and have had since I first got it. Just to let you know the boost is at about 15PSI(standard is 8PSI) and has been since the exhaust went on. I have had no Turbo problems at all and my car does get a hard time every now and again. If you run the correct fuels and keep it serviced you should have no turbo problems. However this does depend on like all cars, that it has been looked after properly in the past. As far as fuel consumption goes mine drinks about the same as a GENIII V8 Falcadore stationwagon....I have not put a piggy back ECU on it yet so it's also running very rich(PS They all run very rich)

P.S. Turbo is only $1,450 to rebuild with high flow setup and new steel impellers. Don't know about taking the turbo out but I am pretty sure(if I have no bolts ceased) that I can get it out from underneath.

Reliability - It's a NISSAN, what more can I say!

Thanks mate, That helps out. They do chew through it abit but damn they are a nice looking wagon..!

Ill keep reading up on them, and see what comes up in the near future.

Really appreciate the help guys.

Cheers,

Thanks mate, That helps out. They do chew through it abit but damn they are a nice looking wagon..!

Ill keep reading up on them, and see what comes up in the near future.

Really appreciate the help guys.

Cheers,

For the price you wont get a better spec'ed car, look after it and you shouldnt have any problems. If you are not mechanically minded at all and have to rely on mechanics / nissan for servicing and repairs then you might get taken for a ride. You will find that if you have any problems with your car there are many people here that will be able to lend a hand and reccomend you the right people for the job. I would be extremely dissapointed if you decided to buy a commondoor or falcoon since you know about the stageas.

Edited by danwatt

Cheers Dan, Yea I see Commy wagons Vz's And all for around 20k. You compair one of them to a Stagea and its chalk and cheese. You dont even get Leather in most commy's!! Got a mate who owns a Ultra-tune store so thats gives me the opportunity to get the car right before I really start putting some K's on it. Seems like the only thing to do now is head interstate in the next month or so and have a good look at a few and see what I think from there.

Well Im at it, Are the AR-X's better then just the plain RS-four??

Appreciate your advice and everyone elses

Cheers Blair

Edited by Dreamah

Hi Dreamah

just thought i give you a look at this as it just came into stock it should land and comply under 20k at the most

http://www.directimported.com/viewlisting.php?vid=359

As l live in japan i also drive a AXIS Stagea must admit they are probably the nicest car to drive i have found and fuel economy is not that bad im light footed in japan due to so much trafic and tend to get aroung 11lt/100klm so its not that bad.

hs been very reliable car and pleasant.

Cheers, Phil

Hey guys i am also new to the stagea scene.

I am looking at buying 1 but they all seem to be 4wd but what i want to know is can the you get them sideways? Like the GT-Rs they are 4wd but can still be somewhat drifted!

With the hard to reach turbo does that mean the is no room or to difficult to upgrade the turbo to a bigger unit?

And also what is involved in changing the dvd/sat nav/tv over to aus spec because i think the guy im looking to buy from is trying to rip me off, he said $500 for tv $900for the sat nav and $800 for the dvd

just sounds like alot of dosh.

And he also said that none of the m35's came out with cruise control?why not and how much and where to get it fitted.

If someone can answer all my questions that would be awsome

thanx guys

Pete

Hey guys i am also new to the stagea scene.

I am looking at buying 1 but they all seem to be 4wd but what i want to know is can the you get them sideways? Like the GT-Rs they are 4wd but can still be somewhat drifted!

With the hard to reach turbo does that mean the is no room or to difficult to upgrade the turbo to a bigger unit?

And also what is involved in changing the dvd/sat nav/tv over to aus spec because i think the guy im looking to buy from is trying to rip me off, he said $500 for tv $900for the sat nav and $800 for the dvd

just sounds like alot of dosh.

And he also said that none of the m35's came out with cruise control?why not and how much and where to get it fitted.

If someone can answer all my questions that would be awsome

thanx guys

Pete

mmm. lot's of questions but I'll answer what I can.

Can you get them sideways? I would say yes but I am not a drifter and don't look to get it sideways a lot. The ARX has standard a limited slip rear diff and the power mostly goes to the rear untill slip is detected and then sends more power to the front wheels. In the wet, it is easy to let the back step out but in the dry you have to work at it.

Not sure about the turbo.

Firstly, they do not have a DVD player as standard, they have a DVD rom that is used for the GPS maps and manages the other functions of the cars multi function computer.

You need to install an Australian TV tuner, Chook offers these for about $300 if you want to do it yourself. Read the attached link, http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/St...html&hl=v35.

Not sure about the sat nav, current version will not work untill compatible Australian maps are availble on DVD. Currwently none availavable and not too likely to ever be available. Talk to Chris Rogers and he can advise on the best GPS solution.

You can easily set up an AUX input to run a Ipod or similar, see link, http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/di...html&hl=m35.

The language on the pop up screen is all in Japanese, there is a company working on a language conversion to english that should be available around September. Cost is estimated at around $250 (but not confirmed) that will change all the Jap to English on everything but the GPS menu's. I already have a demo version that has convered the main menu + a couple of other titles to see that it is possible.

Be wary of the solutions offered for these things as they are very complicated and interrelated. Ie. you can not remove the DVD rom and keep all the other functions.

The M35 was offered with cruise control but is quite rare. It is a radar based system that will slow the car if a slow moving vehicle is detected in front of it and resume the speed once clear. They are obvious because they have a large black pannel where the nissin badge is in the front grill.

There is an aftermarket solution that fits very well on the steering wheel but is a $800 option. If you want the contact details of the company that installed mone send me a PM and I will send it to you.

Hope this helps. By the way, love the car.

Cheers

Andy

hey guys

its been great reading this thread! i had someone looking for an M35 for me and they have found a 250t RX Four in silver for me. looks like RXs are harder to find than RSs!

Anyway, after driving a heap and seeing whats out there with options, i decided that leather and tv/dvd were essentials! plus the mrs likes the heated seats!! looks like ill be throughly checking it out before i take delivery. im getting it via a dealer so 3 months warranty will cover me while im 'testing' it! i cant believe the torque these things put out!! not bad for a turbo V6. right now im driving a 4 door R33 while im waiting for delivery of my M35, and its slow compared to stageas ive driven

im happy to hear about the milage you guys are getting too! as will my wallet :woot:

one question, does anyone know if the english G35(or equivalent) satnav buttons will fit in and replace the japanese ones? id happily spend the money converting it! and with that language conversion for the electronics, things will look 'right'

one question, does anyone know if the english G35(or equivalent) satnav buttons will fit in and replace the japanese ones? id happily spend the money converting it! and with that language conversion for the electronics, things will look 'right'

I have seen Chris Rogers put in english buttons so yes, it is possible.

Cheers

Andy