SAU Community

Race Fuel

Hey guys, just a quick question about where can i purchase race fuel or fuel with a high octane rating? how much is it per litre or per drum/barrel etc?

the reason i ask is that i hardly ever drive my r34 GTR and would prefer to run nothing but race fuel so i can run a more aggressive tune safely without any detonation.

thanks in advance

-Johnny

you'll be looking at about $10 a litre for race fuel if you buy retail.

be careful when using avgas, as its leaded (from memory...) and will destroy your cat. this applies to heaps of race fuels aswell. also you technically need a pilots licence to buy avgas, i think a cams licence may be good too, cant remember now

as for mixing avgas, i've heard of people doing it, cant see any issue with it, but there may be, maybe someone else on here can confirm?

Edited by VB-

you'll be looking at about $10 a litre for race fuel if you buy retail.

be careful when using avgas, as its leaded (from memory...) and will destroy your cat. this applies to heaps of race fuels aswell. also you technically need a pilots licence to buy avgas, i think a cams licence may be good too, cant remember now

as for mixing avgas, i've heard of people doing it, cant see any issue with it, but there may be, maybe someone else on here can confirm?

i thought u could get unleaded avgas these days but u have to order it from overseas

VPW in Thomastown stock Sunoco and other fuels.

Martini/Elf and a few others can also be had from their respective stockist here in Vic...

Its a waste of money, 20litres was over $120 retail a drum last i purchased and this was 3 years ago (Sunoco)

You'll never be able to utilise such an aggressive tune on the street, plus fuels like Sunoco are illegal to use on the street as they contain lead (from memory). With Shell 100 these days you can run a pretty damn decent tune as it is

Avgas is a bad choice

i have always wondered about mixing avgas with premium unleaded to up the octane, anyone tryed it?

Yeah I used to do that about 15-20yrs back I was running a bb charger, I'd put about .5 of a litre per half tank...very nice.

It was readily available back then and cheap, but as stated in posts above it wouldn't be recomended for an unleaded car.

jeeeesus i had no idea it was that expensive! i think ill stick with shell v-power 98 or the ethanol 100 stuff.

my main concern is that with the amount of driving i do, the tankof fuel i have now in the car is over 2weeks old and im not sure of the petrols 'shelf life'

i mean any organic carbon based fuel will break down over time and effect the octane rating which may lead to detonation etc.

jeeeesus i had no idea it was that expensive! i think ill stick with shell v-power 98 or the ethanol 100 stuff.

my main concern is that with the amount of driving i do, the tankof fuel i have now in the car is over 2weeks old and im not sure of the petrols 'shelf life'

i mean any organic carbon based fuel will break down over time and effect the octane rating which may lead to detonation etc.

couple of weeks ago i bought a 60ltr drum of Sunoco...$600...thats $10 a litre...OUCH!!

its just attracted another 'carbon tax' due to it being leaded fuel.

Try mixing your own tolulene blend...it works well

Johnny, the way I see it is, When your car came to AUS it would have been tuned for 98 RON.

So you putting in Race fuel and Shell Optimax 100 RON is just a waste of time and money IMO.

Use 98 RON and put some injector cleaner every 6 months / once a year and your car should be fine.

you can buy a 'fuel conditioner' adative thing that you add to ur tank of fuel to prolong shelf life

i use something like that in the lawnmower jerrycan :lol: but it works well, cause if fuel is not used in 2 weeks it starts to go 'off'

2 weeks shelf life for fuel... Are you serious...?

Race fuel isnt going to have any more of a shelf life, if thats what you were thinking.

How long from the production plant, to servo, to tank do you think it takes?

Its more than 1 day? :happy:

You could get away with months before it goes off.

Forget crazy ideas of race fuel on the street and stick to your local bowser.

okay i meant 2 months, not 2 weeks

from what i understand if its sitting stagnant like in a fuel tank or jerry can fuel can go 'off' quicker

if its sloshing around it oxygenates and stays fresher longer...

but anway - i would just stick to ur normal 98 or 100 and fill it up as needed

i see, im glad to see shelf life is better than what i expected so i guess im being paranoid about the whole 2-4week thing lolz.

i will stick to 98oct but unfortunately my car wasnt tuned for 98, it actually has one of those impul remap ecu's which is tuned for japanese fuel. Im getting a power fc tune asap but am struggling to choose a workshop :-(

LOL you can also get something from supercheap. I'll confirm it tomorrow but its in a 5L tin, costs about 30 bucks. Forget what it's called.

f-10 additive

its actually really good....

i see, im glad to see shelf life is better than what i expected so i guess im being paranoid about the whole 2-4week thing lolz.

i will stick to 98oct but unfortunately my car wasnt tuned for 98, it actually has one of those impul remap ecu's which is tuned for japanese fuel. Im getting a power fc tune asap but am struggling to choose a workshop :-(

Ah ok well then that explains it.

You tried the usual, Race Pace, RE Customs?

I take my car to Le Mans Automotive and Shane is great at what he does.