SAU Community

P - Plate Drivers' Night Ban To Curb Toll

Lucy in the Sky

These new laws are f**king stupid!!!

"Too many P-Platers are dying on our roads..." PROVE IT!!! Yeah us P-Platers are dying, but so is everyone else! You only hear of a handful of people who lose their lives on our road, but they always emphasise it when its a P-plater. I've had my license for 5 months, so I only have 1 month to go til they dont affect me any more. But would it stop me? f**k no!! Either buy some new plates (which I'll have to do anyway) or just take them down. No I'm not one of those stupid drivers who are always speeding and that, but its just easy. My mates finish at midnight sometimes, then we'll go out and play pool cos its the only time we get to catch up now that we're out of school. And I work with Ta-Rah, so I'm in the same vote.

In my opinion, these laws are EXACTLY like the hoon laws. They are put into place because this is how the media portrays us, this is how the public sees us, and so the f**king government does this to make it look like they are doing anything. ITS FOR THE VOTES, NOT THE LIVES!!! As an 18 P-Plater myself, the best thing to give us is education. Make AGH courses compusory. Get rid of the "Hazard Persesption Test" (I swear, if someone needs the instrustions repeated that many times, they dont deserve they're license! And if they fail they, they should be taken outside and shot!), and replace it with a Drivers Training Course. Teach them how to control slides, teach them how to drive in the wet, teach them how to drift... ok, maybe not THAT part.

Why hasnt this been done??? BECAUSE IT COSTS MONEY!!! The government doesnt want to SPEND the money! They wont afford the petrol on all those luxury boats they call cars! (yes, I know I drive an R33...) THIS WILL NOT WORK!

And I was told they are changing the plates to either green or black... I really hope its black, cos it'll match my cars theme :)

And... thats the end of my rant!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol! my bad ! must of mis read on the 08 / 09 thing

!! hahah rhys!! unlucky man!!

One night you can drive at night...THen the next night you cant! so dumb! they should make it only effect p platers who get their p plates after the 30th. Not effect the ones who already have it.

If i was you Rhys, i wouldnt give 2 sh!ts, i would just drive anyway.

But by the rant u just posted, im sure you got the exact same thinking as me. hahaha

ahhh the p platers... i remember those 2 years ago... good old times.

this could also mean that more imports (or any car that does not fit the mainstream) gets pulled over late at night, good excuse for the cops "just checking if your still on your P's, your not, well, whilst we're here, pop the bonnet"

Sad times are coming ;)

Rhys is right about more education, my wife is just about to get her P's (i can finally stop being a taxi ;) ), i wanted her to do the AHG driver safety thing, but discovered you can't till u have ur P's ?????

i thought that it would b a lot safer for her to learn about controlling the car before she is allowed to drive by herself (esp now with all the rain), but hey, that is just my ILLOGICAL WAY OF THINKING i guess, i wish i thought more like the people who make these GREAT rules......

Found this on the Office of Road & Safety site,

Young novice drivers are no more at risk of death or serious injury driving powerful cars than other drivers, a university of Western Australia study has found.

The research - the first in WA - shows that vehicle performance is unrelated to a novice driver's risk of crashing in the first two years of holding a licence.

That was from the 1st line about what they are doing. Link below....

Link

The link is more about Powerful Cars, still interesting...

phoned AHG Driving this morning, yep, you must be on your P's, and they prefer your have had them for a couple of months, i guess so you can get a couple of scratches/crashes under your belt before you think, maybe i should take some lesions to improve my driving.

They said they don't know of anywhere else that does before your get your P's, but i'm thinking there not going to promote another company that could take there business

phoned AHG Driving this morning, yep, you must be on your P's, and they prefer your have had them for a couple of months, i guess so you can get a couple of scratches/crashes under your belt before you think, maybe i should take some lesions to improve my driving.

I think it has more to do with insurance. If you were to have an accident your something along the lines. Insuring a p plater for their defensive driving course (which is quite full on, as ive done it before) would be high enough... let alone a L plater.

I would reccomend that you do it / your wife do it. Its not only educational! but dam fun!! haha.

:D

a couple of interesting links abt road statistics if any1's bored, all from the Office of Road & Safety WA

06 - 07 crashes wa

Older version 1995-2004

The last one's a bit outdated, still interesting

all you 30-39 year old drivers, look at the 2006 - 2007 pdf :D

still trying to find something that says what type of car they were driving, that would b very interesting to read

only P platers that die are the ones in Commodores/falcons.

even with cars that crash all up are mainly Commodores/falcons.

you hardly hear about jap cars crashing and that.

Rhys is right about more education, my wife is just about to get her P's (i can finally stop being a taxi :happy: ), i wanted her to do the AHG driver safety thing, but discovered you can't till u have ur P's ?????

i thought that it would b a lot safer for her to learn about controlling the car before she is allowed to drive by herself (esp now with all the rain), but hey, that is just my ILLOGICAL WAY OF THINKING i guess, i wish i thought more like the people who make these GREAT rules......

Found this on the Office of Road & Safety site,

That was from the 1st line about what they are doing. Link below....

Link

The link is more about Powerful Cars, still interesting...

They said they don't know of anywhere else that does before your get your P's, but i'm thinking there not going to promote another company that could take there business

When I first got my L's, I went to an industrial area with mum and I learnt basic stuff there with nothing around. But, cops watch malaga now so that's not really a good idea any more lol.

only P platers that die are the ones in Commodores/falcons.

even with cars that crash all up are mainly Commodores/falcons.

you hardly hear about jap cars crashing and that.

Dude think about it where in Australia where the Majority of cars on the road are falcons and commodores do the odds seriously? where just as bad as the rest of them

These new rules are pretty lame though. The only one I agree with is the introduction of extra log book hours

Tara i agree 100%

when a p-plater crashes they blow up the story "hoons driving highly modified cars were involved in a crash tonight"

but when its a full license driver it doesnt make the news or gets about 5 seconds of coverage.

when i went in to pay my licence again for another year a couple months ago they gave me a key ring promoting 120 hours for log books

i feel sorry for my brother who will be getting his L's soon

i wouldnt mind some different coloured P's for the last 6 months of my provisional licence

the red ones just stick out

12 and 5 am, i just dont get it?

the government is stupid.

we realised that when they banned p platers from driving turbo cars.

p-platers will go even more bezerk with turbos when they get their fulls.

Ok I might be sounding like an old man by saying this...

Alright so the majority of people get there P's when they turn 17. In 6 months time, you will still be 17. What the hell do you need to be out on the roads after midnight for? It's not like your capable of going to areas that require you to be 18 years or older. If your out cruising around in your car after midnight your either doing stupid shit like drag racing or speeding in the majority of cases. There are exceptions to this for people who have a genuine reason for being out but the majority of the time its technically true.

Thats my 2 cents.

Ok I might be sounding like an old man by saying this...

Alright so the majority of people get there P's when they turn 17. In 6 months time, you will still be 17. What the hell do you need to be out on the roads after midnight for? It's not like your capable of going to areas that require you to be 18 years or older. If your out cruising around in your car after midnight your either doing stupid shit like drag racing or speeding in the majority of cases. There are exceptions to this for people who have a genuine reason for being out but the majority of the time its technically true.

Thats my 2 cents.

and i think thats what the idea is

primarily to reduce underage drinking and reduce drug use and therefore the flow on is less drunk/drug driving

that and just being plain stupid at night

but how many people now do you know that cant drive for shit

i got my 2nd phase L's first go like 4 yrs ago now

ive got friends that did it about 1-2yrs ago and have failed about 3 times trying to do it

i know somebody who is almost of her P's and she still constantly stalls the car

i havent done that since about the 2nd week of my L's!!!!!!!!! (apart from the odd occasion when ive been in a random car, so maybe 3-5 times in 4 yrs)

The P Plater laws don't make sense.

Extended log books too 6 months?

That won't accomplish anything.

Some people will do there hours and then let their car gather dust.

Then how good will they be when they return to drive?

Time means nothing, its experience that counts.

As for the HPT, what a joke.

I remember doing it and laughing nearly the whole time.

There needs to be more emphasis on practical skills if they really want to "save lives"

A quick 20 min second phase test really doesn't prove if you have any ability.

Still think the Government are just trying to appear like they're doing something.

I know all my friends and I myself will just take down our P's or whatnot.

The 6 month law is in place so that there is a minimum 25 hours of driving done (or whatever the amount is these days). They have structured this so that they expect that kids will do there 25 hours of log bog driving and then continue driving to gain further experience by doing more hours outside of the hours they have logged for driving.

I agree I think the Hazard perception test is a waste of time but it's hilarious the amount of people who don't know there basic road rules. Until they find something to replace it, its seems like an ok test to have in place. So if you get fined for parking too close to a road sign (and all the other weird rules I can't remember) you can't whinge and complain because you should know the road rules. As for practical skills, what could possibly be a better way to develop your skills than spending more time driving under the supervision of a more experienced driver? Any introduction of mandatory defensive driving courses would see an outcry by the public for milking more money out of the public.

As for taking down your P's, you do know that cops run checks reguarily on number plates. The information they get corresponds to the people who own the cars. So if your driving after dark in your own car with your P plates down you will get pinged. Only way to get around this is to register your car in a business or your parents name, so that it wouldnt occur as regularily

i live in adelaide and ive just got my liscence back (last week) ive been given a cerfew for 12 months. i havnt had a liscence for 15 months and i can tell you ive learnt my lesson. i bought the gtr half way through the lsicence suspension and i baby it around! ive prepared it for track days and i know ill never slip up(be stupid) on the roads like i used to. but i think the cerfew is pointless. ive driven the family to coffs harbour from adelaide overnight twice. and racked up 100000 kms with a trailer on the back for work. this cerfew is a load of rubbish it means i have to leave gigs early and mates places early. soooo pointless ! especially for someone like me who has hundreds of thousands of kms experience