SAU Community

The Goods On Oils

PHaT MR30

Motul turbolite 10w40 is just a Semi-Syn oil, I would recommend at least a fully synthetic for turbo cleanliness and high temp protection. A wide spread 10w40 type semi-syn is not really a good idea for ring cleanliness i would think. Choose Mobil 0w40 or Delvac 5w40, whichever is cheaper. those are good oil at reasonable prices.

Theres a lot of speculation about what to get lately, is this because of summer?

I am running Mobil 1 5W50 at the moment and was gunna put Motul 10W40 in next month for my routine oil change but your saying its no good for ring cleanliness being semi-synth.

So Delvac 5W40 (If I can find it for sale) or Mobil 0W40 would be better and cost less?

Theres a lot of speculation about what to get lately, is this because of summer?

I am running Mobil 1 5W50 at the moment and was gunna put Motul 10W40 in next month for my routine oil change but your saying its no good for ring cleanliness being semi-synth.

So Delvac 5W40 (If I can find it for sale) or Mobil 0W40 would be better and cost less?

Ok, a wide spread oil like 10w40 Semi-Syn are going to contain loads of VII (viscosity index improver), these VII polymer are weak in nature and will form deposit under high heat & shearing condition. That's not really a good ideal for a hot & fast spinning turbo, do we...

That's why a good Synthetic (naturally multi-grade thus also eliminating the use of VII) with mostly group IV (PAO) or V (polyol ester) base oil will have a performance advantage over any Semi-Syn or mineral oil out there.

Delvac 1 are rumors to be group IV/V blend while Mobil 1 0w40 are PAO/AN blend thus the value.

Edited by Trex101

Motul Turbolight is OK for the money. Some places charge >$40 for a bottle and thats a rip off for a pretty ordinary oil semisynthetic. People get all excited because it has the word "Turbo" in the name and assume its a good oil for turbo based cars. Judging by its OEM/API certifications, its pretty ordinary.

Hello all, im about to do another oil change dropping the 0w-40 castrol edge.

Im leaning towards the motul but which one for the high horse power RB25.

MOTUL 300v chrono 10w-40

MOTUL 300v power 5w-40 or the 5w-30

Busky2k helped me out alot last time with advice, what do you think.

Busky2k knows his stuff like trex.

They might suggest the 10W40 300V from that selection. The a general all rounder and favoured in Oz.

If its street car, daily driver I would be leaning towards a 5w30 300V as like the redline is HTHS and film strength is quite high for a 30wt which better cold start cSt ratings for engine protection.

But ppl in Oz are scared of the "thin" oils...even though most ppl are not clear on what their requirements really are. The US OEM of choice for new cars these days is like 20wt!

If ur car sees any tracks...at least the 40wt IMO.

im using formular R 10w-60 on my GTR and been thinking of going 5w-30 or similar.. havent had problems with the 10w-60 but the price of $55 for a bottle is a bit exy.. just wondering if anyone reckons the swap will be noticable? better fuel economy as its thinner.? GTR doesnt chew oil.. A1 condition.. ;)

0w-40 should cope with heat better than the 5w-30.

the GTR sees no track and is realy a commuter so the 10w-60 is a waste i think..

thanks

mark.

Edited by markimak

im using formular R 10w-60 on my GTR and been thinking of going 5w-30 or similar.. havent had problems with the 10w-60 but the price of $55 for a bottle is a bit exy.. just wondering if anyone reckons the swap will be noticable? better fuel economy as its thinner.? GTR doesnt chew oil.. A1 condition.. :happy:

0w-40 should cope with heat better than the 5w-30.

the GTR sees no track and is realy a commuter so the 10w-60 is a waste i think..

thanks

mark.

I would suggest GC 0w30 for both fuel economy gain & protection but do check for fuel dilution (UOA) if you are running rich AFR.

Edited by Trex101

im using penrite SIn 10w70 in my r32 gtst its ok but after the cars warm and you start it again it seems to get average oil pressure. ill be changing to motul crono 10w40 next oil change the warm ups for that oil could be exciting though... having close neighbours.. and going to work at 5am they'll love the loud rb rumble!

warming a car up by letting it idle is an absolute waste of time. start it, wait 10-15 seconds for the oil to circulate and then drive off gently.

not only that, long idle peroids is bad on ur cyls also. Glazing I think is the correct term.

is german castrol same as castrol.?

would i notice a difference switching from 10w-60 to 5w-30 castrol EDGE?

can someone give some hard evidence on pros and cons on warming it up. im a firm believer of warming the GTR and GTT up. having ceramic turbos and all. saves ur rings. gets the oil closer into the heat range

can someone give some hard evidence on pros and cons on warming it up. im a firm believer of warming the GTR and GTT up. having ceramic turbos and all. saves ur rings. gets the oil closer into the heat range

I noticed the difference when i went from a 10w 60 edge to the 0w 40 edge motor ran cooler and it felt like better acleration.

It's amazing how many placebo feelers there are. Some of you guys have siad it makes the motor run smoother, idles better, turbo spools faster, etc.

Does it make your radio run smoother too? does it make your seat more comfortable?

Honestly, any difference in feel would be hardly able to be felt. It'd be interesting to see if the oil was changed wihtout them knowing what oil is actually in there to see if htey can feel it.

no.

check the link in the origional post.