SAU Community

Ran My Gtr @ The Creek

Marko R1

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be your first 330' that is letting you down, compare that time with your mates XR6T.

good point - i'll find out & post it up

1 of my mates has got 2 MT's for his r33gtst - he offered that i can borrow these if i like (nice guy).

will it be an issue running MT's on the back with my 18's (or street 16's) on the front? im not sure if the difference in rolling diameter will damage the driveline in anyway.

the MT's are 255 profile on 16" rims.

Edited by Marko R1

yes i have ohlins struts with i think standard shocks - i was talking to a mate who has done a lot of runs on the 1/4...he analysed my numbers came to this conclusion:

1. his xr6 turbo did a 10.89 @ 124mph (his half track time @ 1000' was 6.9sec)

2. my gtr did a 11.4 @ 127mph (my half track time @ 1000' was 7.45sec)

so i have the mph as above which means my hp will take me to a 10sec pass - however my 1/2 track time is .55 sec slower.

this is where i need to make my gains, getting to half track quicker!

even if i added more power (say 30kw) it would only give me a higher mph but not necessarily give me a much better ET time, might give a 1/10 or so (i compared a pass where i did an 11.8 v's 11.3 & there was only .05 of a sec in it from 1000' to finish line, not even 1/10 of a sec)

from this my mate thinks i would get better gains putting in a set of matching shocks/springs (i.e. factory suspension or soft teins) as my car does not squat at all when i launch, the front would be lucky to lift 1-2 inches & it tramps when it gains traction at the top of 1st gear!

so i think i'll get some stock gtr struts & try that - if i can do a 1.7sec 60' with 18's i can also fit the 16's with street tyres which should give me my 1.6sec 60'.

if all goes right & i pick up my 1/2 track speed by a conservative .3sec (i.e. 7.45sec to 7.15sec) & another 1/10sec from my 60' (i.e. 1.7 to 1.6) i will achieve my 10sec 1/4mile!

In a 4WD try and keep the car reasonably level...our car used to madly squat and lift the front skyward. We were using stock springs and shocks with the fronts revalved 90/10 and the rears 40/60...good for a RWD car but not suited to 4WD. We put circuit HKS coilovers back in the car and set them to full soft all round with plenty of ride height and bingo! 60's went from 1.7-1.6 to 1.5-1.4...worked well. Just something to consider.

good point - i'll find out & post it up

1 of my mates has got 2 MT's for his r33gtst - he offered that i can borrow these if i like (nice guy).

will it be an issue running MT's on the back with my 18's (or street 16's) on the front? im not sure if the difference in rolling diameter will damage the driveline in anyway.

the MT's are 255 profile on 16" rims.

So the MT's are 255/50/16. What are the 18's?

Need to work out the tyre height.

im not sure of the exact tyre height so i'll check this...so if they are almost the same tyre height i can run the MT's on the rear & 18's on the front?

this would be better than 18's all round right?

It will be your first 330' that is letting you down, compare that time with your mates XR6T.

my mates xr6 with the 10.89 did a 4.47 330' whereas mine did a 4.70 330'.

his 60' was 1.53 & mine was 1.70

well i have 3 wheel combinations for the front which im hoping 1 set will closely match the MT's @ 255x55x16.

this is what i can run on the front:

- my brothers 16" factory rims with factroy tyres (nfi what the aspect ratio is)

- my 255x35x18

- my brothers 275x45x17

its probably best that i just put a tape measure on these wheels & see whats the closest fit for the MT's

my mates xr6 with the 10.89 did a 4.47 330' whereas mine did a 4.70 330'.

his 60' was 1.53 & mine was 1.70

So you were 0.17sec behind after the first 60' which is about 0.4 for a 1/4 so your 11.3sec minus 0.4 gives you a 10.9sec and your mate has done a 10.89sec

Get a set of R32 GTR standard rims with 255/50/16 MT Drag Radials and practice your launching.

i just need to know if i can run MT's on the rear with standard wheels on the front without hurting the 4wd system - has anyone done this with a gtr or is there any pics of quick gtr's with this setup?

otherwise i'll stick with the 16's all round with worn rubber

Edited by Marko R1

If the rolling diameter is the same its obviously o.k, other wise it is not advised.

you seriously would not consider doing it if someone on here told you it would be o.k,

they accept no liability for the damage they might occur and you are left with a repair bill.

also defeats the purpose of having an AWD car. just run it in RWD only. it is sixting slower than a RWD anyway,

otherwise run MTs all round, you will be stoked with the difference.

i just need to know if i can run MT's on the rear with standard wheels on the front without hurting the 4wd system - has anyone done this with a gtr or is there any pics of quick gtr's with this setup?

otherwise i'll stick with the 16's all round with worn rubber

i just measured the height of the MT's for the rear - they are 650mm.

my 18's on the front are 620mm so i highly doubt that my brothers 16's or 17's are going to match.

looks like i'll be running it in rwd on MT's - or should i go with the factory 16's all round on worn rubber in 4wd mode (they are almost slick).

I know i'm like the 10th person to say this. but why won't you just run the MTs all round? you seem to really be set on running MTs on the rear only, or worn 16s all round and just waiting for someone to say 'yeah, that's a good idea'. but it's not a good idea! the guys with the drag interest are saying 16inch MTs all round is the go and I would take their advice.

you're right - i think a no response means its not a good idea.

i'll be running the car next wed so i'll post my results :woot:

where is the best place to get MT's or nittos? someone mentioned rocketindustries are cheapest...

You will learn quickly with these cars that you can do things half arsed and get half a result or you can spend the cash and do it properly and not have to worry about it again.

In the end its cheaper to just pay the cash upfront and do it properly instead of constantly chasing you arse. Take a look at the www.HPI.com.au drag records to see what combo's are being used.

Im lending him my rims and tyres...he'll only need them for 1 pass...but has to come to Newy to pick them up and drop them back off.

paul - like i said YOU ARE A CHAMPION - LEGEND! :D

yes it will be 1 run i'd say as once u crack a 10 there are other requirements such as rollcage etc...what else do they ask for?

paul - like i said YOU ARE A CHAMPION - LEGEND! :D

yes it will be 1 run i'd say as once u crack a 10 there are other requirements such as rollcage etc...what else do they ask for?

mate you have always been one of the good guys on here...glad to help out. A case of Coopers red will acompany pick up and delivery. A small price to pay i think.