SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

BW. Dont think Dunc has got it right either... I know of a few strokers out there, but like my experience with motorcycle racing - the cheaters are normally not the front runners. The fact that SG jumped in JVBs car at basky and did a time nearly identical to the HLCA IX on his first flyer has more to do with a special gift rather than stroke.

The guys that cheat are only kidding themselves. They are never going to win, so what if you finsih 35th instead of 39th.

And to give up the opportunity to race on = footing with the guns... that I dont get.

I am not sure about the whole water spray issue on your old car - maybe more to it. From my experience, most people who accuse others of cheating are more than likely cheating themselves.

As far as I'm concerned all the cars in Targa are legal.

TT

BW. Dont think Dunc has got it right either... I know of a few strokers out there, but like my experience with motorcycle racing - the cheaters are normally not the front runners. The fact that SG jumped in JVBs car at basky and did a time nearly identical to the HLCA IX on his first flyer has more to do with a special gift rather than stroke.

The guys that cheat are only kidding themselves. They are never going to win, so what if you finsih 35th instead of 39th.

And to give up the opportunity to race on = footing with the guns... that I dont get.

I am not sure about the whole water spray issue on your old car - maybe more to it. From my experience, most people who accuse others of cheating are more than likely cheating themselves.

As far as I'm concerned all the cars in Targa are legal.

TT

Yeah I'm totally with you on this one TT. Rumour and inuendo really gets out of hand in Oz, not to mention the tall poppy syndrome. And yes, it's always the slower talentless guys that run the cheat spec in an attempt to make up for lack of talent.

And I cannot agree more with your wish to compete on equal footing. To run a cheat spec is to only cheat yourself.

I liken it to the gamefishing tournaments I compete in. Winners are calculated on most Marlin tagged, not killed, but there's been many instances of crews just throwing tags over the side claiming to catch fish. They get caught in the end and are never welcome anywhere.

sorry I didn't mean to lead this thread down this path. I sleep fine at night and I'm sure the majority of other drivers do too :D I think you guys might have be thinking about the wrong car but in any case I'm only speculating, I'm not a scruitineer.

sorry I didn't mean to lead this thread down this path. I sleep fine at night and I'm sure the majority of other drivers do too :D I think you guys might have be thinking about the wrong car but in any case I'm only speculating, I'm not a scruitineer.

Yeah - Now mum is a nav (insert word) you sit at home bitter and twisted looking to upset everyone... LOL We know.

:banana:

TT

Yeah - Now mum is a nav (insert word) you sit at home bitter and twisted looking to upset everyone... LOL We know.

:sweat:

TT

hey my mum drives an evo like all the old girls do....can't get her mixed up with my gtr racing wife :P

But yeah its not farking fair....Kel has had 2 rounds already this year as the Donut Princess and I haven't even taken the race car out of the garage yet. Can't wait, the first round is in 2 weeks at Eastern Creek

Looks like I might be doing the AMSAG event on 4th April in a (GASP!!!) non-Skyline.

Running with a rookie- will post more details if I get sorted.

It's roadbook, not pacenotes, but I'm still keen for a bit more in-car experience (and events).

Fark roadbook events, too dangerous Kel, especially with a rookie. Sorry, thats my view, after east Coast Targa 2004 I'll NEVER do another roadbook event unless it's a gravel state round.

Fark roadbook events, too dangerous Kel, especially with a rookie. Sorry, thats my view, after east Coast Targa 2004 I'll NEVER do another roadbook event unless it's a gravel state round.

You sound just like Neil Benny :P

(hope he's not reading this thread).

Actually, I hear what you're saying and listen to & appreciate the advice.

I've done a bit of asking about and AMSAG seem to run pretty sensible events.

And the only reason I'm up for this one is it sounds like this guy is definitely not into playing for sheep stations (and he meets my criteria of only naving for blokes who have kids & actually like them). He's had experience, no crashes.

I figure I'll give it a go and see how it goes - I'll always try something once, twice if I like it ;)

Looks like I might be doing the AMSAG event on 4th April in a (GASP!!!) non-Skyline.

Running with a rookie- will post more details if I get sorted.

It's roadbook, not pacenotes, but I'm still keen for a bit more in-car experience (and events).

Whats AMSAG?

I can't believe something like that was roadbook'd!

I hate them give nav's nothing to do!

Wouldn't mind chatting to you in the next few weeks if you can spare some time Ben?

Not much (if any) tarmac in this event, but I'm keen to understand why you'll never do another a roadbook on tarmac so I know what to watch out for?

Just look at Targa NZ to see why roadbook/blind rallys are a bad idea. From what i've seen they have more and bigger crashes than pacenoted rallys I follow (Targa Tas, Rally Tas, Targa West....etc).

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you'll all be pleased to know there are no gravel roadbook rallies in my near future afterall :P

I've had to pull out of the rally at Jenolan caves due to work commitments.

Still keen to try some gravel though.

Well, you'll all be pleased to know there are no gravel roadbook rallies in my near future afterall :P

I've had to pull out of the rally at Jenolan caves due to work commitments.

Still keen to try some gravel though.

I don't see a huge benefit for navigators doing roadbook (blind) rallies, your could have a snooze between calls... there isn't even much detail on the ones that are in there!

I know its supposed to be a entry level type event, but how hard would it be to recce saturday and rally sunday?

I don't see a huge benefit for navigators doing roadbook (blind) rallies, your could have a snooze between calls... there isn't even much detail on the ones that are in there!

I know its supposed to be a entry level type event, but how hard would it be to recce saturday and rally sunday?

True - I guess though I'm just interested in giving it all a go to learn a bit more.

Plus I'm wondering if being able to call confidently from roadbook with a little bit of pace could save me if something ever happened to my notes during an event.

You sound just like Neil Benny :D

(hope he's not reading this thread).

Oh I'm reading it Kelly,,,

But hey,,,nothing I could say would change it,,,so I'll sit here very worried.

Neil.

• 2 weeks later...

Just like to thank GIANT for sending us an Intention to Enter in for the Mt Stuart Tarmak rally in Townsville. Thanks for the support Russ. We now have received 14 intentions from Cairns to Canberra and every thing is starting to fall into place for the 3rd annual event.

Also if anyone needs cars transported to townsville from Brisbane or anywhere in between we have struck up a deal with Coastline car carrying for entrants in the Event. Details can be found at Townsville City Autosports Club.

Edited by Evocoop

Has anyone ran earbuds for incar comms? My helmate dosn't have cavities around the ears, so after acouple of days the big plastic terrapone speakers get pretty uncomfertable.

these look alright, but not real cheep. I was thinking of just making some normal ones work, but these look like they fit in a helmate better.

http://www.philtronics.com.au/motorsport/e...c%20prices.html