SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

I know the person who got the fine, and they bought it over from Victoria, cost him

about $2.35, including getting it to the service area's, it's criminal to charge $4.00 a litre for E85!!..

and it was not Targa's E85 so they pinned him for running higher octane unleaded, even when he

said, "it's not unleaded, it's E85"..

The point of difference between the event E85 and E85 from the other mainland suppliers is that the event supplied E85 is straight from CSR and is therefore a guaranteed fresh and consistent product, it’s a 98RON based blend (as per the V8 Supercars product) and importantly also has a corrosion inhibitor. The CSR E85 produced for V8s is Green, or Red for Targa.

The $4.00 a litre E85 is delivered into the field with distribution managed by a licensed team for you to simply and safely pull-up next to, top up and take off.

$2.35 p/l is an awesome price to get E85 at, particularly when you factor in Bass Straight freight, the fuelling, feeding drinking and accommodating of a service crew etc etc... the only drama in my mind is that if the E85 is that cheap and it was a retail price, it’s most likely a basic 91RON based blend, as the only suppliers in Victoria that I know who were talking to Targa entrants were offering green V8 Supercar 98RON based E85 at a discounted price of $2.50 a litre, and that was being offered for a limited time due to an oversupply in stock.

As for the entrant at TWP that was fined, they weren't penalised for higher octane, they was simply penalised for using non-event E85. They’re E85 was clear, and if it were event E85 it would have been red. I don’t have data at hand to know if the clear product had the CSR standard 0.9 mg/l corrosion inhibitor or not.

The penalty was $500.00, or an end E85 price of $4.85 based on Bergz’s figure for that team... or it could have simply been ordered without the infield delivery service which obviously makes it cheaper :D

Awesome vid Kel, that moment looks very similar to one we had on Woodbridge 1. Ours wasn't quite as colse though, we stayed on the black stuff :happy:

pfft it's not a moment unless your tyres get dirty.

and for my 2c...x3

1/ cutting corners on a tarmac rally is bullshit. it is bad for the competitor's car, bad for the competitors that follow the cheat, and bad for tarmac rallies as a whole because of the damage it does to the road

2/ the price for fuel is outrageous, and so is single approved fuel suppliers. $4/l for e85 from the event provider, or .99c at my local united. It's not up to the organisers to protect the competitors from poor quality or inconsistent fuel, that is the competitor's responsibility. ANDRA used exactly the same excuse to ban e85 until recently when the VP fuels distributor resigned as fuel checker. I'm sure there are no conflicts of interest anywhere. Not just that....at Mt Buller I had to pay $30 to leave my jerry cans under the "official" fuel tent.

3/ finally....the different regs between aasa and cams, and the extreme freedoms allowed under aasa will kill rallies if they not kept in check. I know reallies are going through growth atm, but that will dissappear in a year or 2 when competitors see what other people are getting away with. There has been way too much open talk about cheating lately but tony quinn is about the only high profile name that the organisers have actually hit. Adherance to technical regs at Mt Buller was a joke. And continually changing and upgrading cars is very expensive, not to mention that nothing will kill tarmac rallies quicker than big accidents from super quick cars. We all know it is only a matter of time, all of the top 5-10 cars in any tarmac rally these days are running harder than the 80-90% that most people consider safe, as proven by their crash out rate.

very negative....but I love this sport and want to see it around in 20 years, let alone 10.

Jesus, some whingers out there! :)

If you want to see some committed corner cutting, should re-wind to 94 or 95, a certain Celica having somewhat more than a wheel off the road might convince people how well off comparatively they are in the scene now.

Fuel, meh, no one's holding a gun to anyone's head to go E85.

Cheats (and rumours of cheats!), inequalities in car classing/categories has been around since the inception......few will admit it's the nut behind the wheel and the risks they're prepared to take, which will determine the outcome for 99% of the field.

That's Paradise (ironicly :) )

Merslylea was awful this year, the road was like that for the last 2-3 kw from memory.

And pissing counsels off is by far the biggest issue from corner cutting, as the rally can't run if the counsels don't let it. They don't like paying lots of people to lean on shovels after the event

corner cutters make baby jesus cry

aside from peeing off the councils, they make things dangerous for people following them through

some corners are hard enough to get through without having to deal with unexpected but avoidable crap all over the road

anyone know of anyone looking for a nav for rally tas btw?

turns out im now available :(

corner cutters make baby jesus cry

aside from peeing off the councils, they make things dangerous for people following them through

some corners are hard enough to get through without having to deal with unexpected but avoidable crap all over the road

anyone know of anyone looking for a nav for rally tas btw?

turns out im now available :)

Oooh what happened Kel???

Maybe run the Might March??? I know someone that might sit in the sill seat lol! :(

Oooh what happened Kel???

Maybe run the Might March??? I know someone that might sit in the sill seat lol! :D

now the march would be a bit of fun!

long story short- I was entered with someone back in october

wires got crossed apparently and they thought i was unavailable and organised someone else

shame because we scored a decent result at rally tas last year (top 5) and it would have been good to have another crack at it

even worse because i had someone else ask if i was available a while back and i ofcourse said no because i thought i had the seat organised!

ah well, shite happens as they say

Find it hard to believe a council is going to send a road crew out to sweep up a few pebbles - will never happen in this fine State, they'll let a few cars do that. If you want evidence of that, the yearly resurface of certain stages a week or two prior, will have kilometres of newly laid bitumen complete with marbles....usually accumulating on corners for good measure.

Gotta say Dunc, I agree with everything you've said mate........

I can't say I enjoy driving through grotty shit like this;

8TT3106.jpg

harden up guys, its a rally... As a stage safety officer on the Suncoast Classic up here a couple of years ago I got numerous complaints about rocks/loose gravel/dirt on the road. Got sick of explaining to competitors that those are the kind of changeable conditions you experience in a rally that no amount of pacenoting, let alone a roadbook, can comment on.

Same as ruts and loose stuff on the outside of a corner in forest rallying will never be in your roadbook or notes. No one like driving in ruts either, but its part-and-parcel of forest rallying.

Now hang on a minute.

What I'm having a whinge about is following rules Harry, the RULES mate, something that you are always quick to correct people on.

Now, the rules state that cutting corners is PROHIBITED.

I follow the rules, the rules are discussed at length at the crew briefings. I don't deliberately cut corners, but I know full well that seconds per kilometre can be made up on many stages if you Do deliberately cut corners. I don't. Because again, it's the rules.

It is disappointing to know that many crews choose to cut corners regardless, therefore breaking the RULES. Harry, the rules.

Now, I'm no fairy and can cop whatever the road conditions throw at me, and if the rules state you can cut the fck out of the corner then I'm happy to mow the fking guide posts down if it will improve my time, but the rules state (and just as importantly respect for the following competitors) that cutting is in essence against the spirit of Tarmac rallying.