SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

No. They were installed in each vehicle at Targa this year as a tester.

They are Tassie designed, and WRC is apparently also looking closely at their implementation.

I agree they were awsome, they poor guys supporting them didn't get much sleep leading up or during the event.

It's good to know that if you're 500m off in the shrubbery/dam. someone will know where you are, and that you're in trouble.

yep, that's pretty much how we found Garwood, SOS flashed as we went by so we slammed the anchors, to only then see the member of the public casually holding their SOS board nearby.

Yeh damn good product and we only used a 10th of its capabilities, they are going to make a shit load out of it for sure!

I still like to have a terratrip (good for accurate distances/if you get lost etc), but I have figured out how to route the course (in google maps) accurately and upload it to my GPS, giving me complete turn by turn guidance for the entire day.

Regards the meters, I had the GPS unit that snowy had, but the missus found it was pretty laggy at high speed.....maybe I just drive faster than Snowy. :) Its upside was it was very easy to swap into your recci car and use to find the starts of the stages and gather some distances for your notes at recci pace....but no guarantee they would correlate at race pace. landmarks are still definately the win for that aspect of noting.

We ended up fitting a monit. Nice bit of kit and well priced. (And light lol)

The Rallysafe is a great bit if kit and I can imagine if it is embraced by the organisers and fully enabled, it will pretty much make the terratrip/monit redundant.

Its worth noting that the old faithful Terratrip is, contrary to what it looks like, very light.

I actually broke my Terratrip probe, does anyone know the best place to buy a new one?

^^^^ Yep, I had checked them and they are light....just very retro looking.:)All the gear and no idea!!! Thats how I roll!!

Re the monit, was a piece of piss to set up and calibrate. Grab a speed pulse from your ECU (plus a +ive and earth) , then have a known length of raod to drive, press one button, drive the set distance, tell it how far you just drove (couple of button presses), press one more button and job done.

Its worth noting that the old faithful Terratrip is, contrary to what it looks like, very light.

I actually broke my Terratrip probe, does anyone know the best place to buy a new one?

Wheel probe or gearbox?

BSM Sport benny, that's where I get my terra gear from. Only about $50 I think...

http://www.bsmsport.com.au/ecommerce/index.php?categoryID=42

Thanks Pete, ordered and on its way :)

Was going to toss one in with your sticks... never mind. You are sorted?

We used to smash ours often - actually ran two for safety. If I was to use wheel probe again a teflon scraper to stop the 14mm bluemetal between the probe and bolt syndrome would be the go.

TT

Gee thanks Greg, and yeah it came today mate. That's a good idea, run another on the other side wire run ready to plug in I guess?!

I think we rooted it at Mt Stuart, we didn't need the Ttrip do didn't notice it was broke til now.

Gee thanks Greg, and yeah it came today mate. That's a good idea, run another on the other side wire run ready to plug in I guess?!

I think we rooted it at Mt Stuart, we didn't need the Ttrip do didn't notice it was broke til now.

No need to have it ready to plug in Benny, all Terra trip's are designed to run 2 probe's anyway, just have a quick look on the back of your unit

the plug is marked Probe 1 and Probe 2, all you do is wire it in, and press the Probe button to scroll between them..

yet more idea's from the gravel making there way into Tarmac...:thumbsup:

opinions....can you have a well setup targa 33 gtr which is a weapon in circuit events? hoping for a car that can do low 2:20's (on slicks) at bathurst this year but want it to fit within the targa rules.

or do i give up and buy an evo and forget about the circuit stuff? (sorry to mention the e word on here)

Edited by tk80