SAU Community

Positive Dilemma...

hey all! Im a Melb kid almost off my P's and was lookin to source a R34 asap to replace my current car that is almost about to choke...

So i had a look around and saw this R34 GT-T up for grabs but the only issue is that i m still on my Ps now and if i buy it now i would'nt be able to drive it for a few good month so... this other day a R34 GT came up so my dilemma is dat should i wait until im off my Ps and go for the extra T or get the GtT now and not drive it or worst case get the non turbo.......... =.= the point is that my current car is almost dead so i really need a car now...

another thing i was worried about is that i ve been on auto ever since i got my Ps so i have never driven an manu car b4... so i if i get the R34 GTT auto it would be like gettin nachos without the cheese.... so please all u skyline pros plz help me make the right decision...!

-lol these forum has answered more questions for me in a hour then all of my lame research in the last 2 months... awsome site!

Cheers !!

lol, tis a dilemma, i say dont waste your time on the non-turbo, if its only a few months it gives u a little while longer to A. save more money, and B. scout out the best condition GTT you can.

Unless you want to go down the NA path, wait out the few months and get the turbo, im sure youll love hitting boost more and more each time you drive it :laugh:

Steve

get turbo and drive granny for a few months, try to avoid cops :3some: it's worked for me for almost 2 months :P

and get manual too, i was in same situation (only auto) and i picked it up in no time.

:laugh:

I'm confused. If your nearly off your P's that means you got your license before June 2007? i think the new laws came in. So if you got your license before the new laws then why would you not be able to drive a turbo? I've seen alot of topics like this on the forum and I'm rather confused about it. It might be different in other states but as far as I know and I've confirmed this with QLD Transport. If you got your license before the laws banning P platers from owning high powered/turbo cars then the new laws don't apply to you.

I am on my 2nd year of P's now but I got my license in September 2006.

Have I missed something? Can someone clear this up for me?

as far as i see it the R34 GTT's engine to weight ratio is over the specification of a "high powered" vehicle, i dont think it has anything to do with the new rules of Green Ps... 125 kw per tonne is the ratio

but from wat their website denotes, it doesnt matter if it is turbo or not as long as the engine to weight ratio is breached u can drive it... http://gls.arrivealive.vic.gov.au/pplates/...ehicles_ps.html sort of doesnt make sense...c below

accordin to their site : "Nominated vehicles with low powered turbocharged or supercharged engines including Suzuki Cappucino 2D Cabriolet Turbo 3 cylinder 698cc, Daihatsu Copen L880 2D Convertible 4 cylinder 659cc (are not restricted)" not that u d want to drive any of those... but u get the point turbo ok as long as engine to weight ratio is not surpassed... but if u got ur Ps after 1/07/08 then there is more restrictions on engine mods... check out the site...

this if for Vic... so other rules may apply interstate...

yeah just drive your shitter for the remaining months. give the keys to your parents so your not tempted. oh and take out fuses and stuff so theyre not tempted..ha

hahaha no fuses.... lov it!

go one better

lol imagine dad sneakin into the garage at night with a tool box and the next day i try sneak a drive when no ones around, ignites the engine, unleashes the beast only to find the steering wheel gone...XD now dat is nasty...

Ok just noticed your in Vic so thats probably where the power/weight comes into it. I don't think we have anything like that in QLD :)

On topic. Buy the car and ride the bus or just drive the shitter for the extra month or so and hope it doesnt die.

A bit of practice in another manual wouldnt hurt in the mean time.

Could be interesting learning how to use a clutch and a gear stick for the first time with a 206kw turbo 6 infront of you.

Get the manual, autos are for the weak, but practice driving a manual in a less powerful car so u dont kill urself or someone else.

Good luck with the purchase, and maybe have a look at the cost of insurance aswell....its the only reason im not driving a turbo skyline.

I'm confused. If your nearly off your P's that means you got your license before June 2007? i think the new laws came in. So if you got your license before the new laws then why would you not be able to drive a turbo? I've seen alot of topics like this on the forum and I'm rather confused about it. It might be different in other states but as far as I know and I've confirmed this with QLD Transport. If you got your license before the laws banning P platers from owning high powered/turbo cars then the new laws don't apply to you.

I am on my 2nd year of P's now but I got my license in September 2006.

Have I missed something? Can someone clear this up for me?

Correct, i got my P's b4 those laws came in about driving turbo powered vehicles etc (last july i think) and i drove around for several months in my gtt on my P's pulled over for breath tests etc... and never had an issue, Im now happily on my opens Woot!

so to answer the question, if u got ur P's b4 the laws came in u are fine to drive a turbo etc... car

Steve