SAU Community

Turbo Help

Alright sorry if this has been talked about before but I have done a search found some info but not what I’m after.

1st of all My car is not a skyline its a lancer

Anyway to the question what is Wrong with a gt3040? I have been advised it is a miss matched turbo how so and how does this effect Power/Lag and so on? As im trying to decided a turbo for my car and I was thinking a gt3040 .63AR (gt3082) would be best for what I want but after reading that it has put me off a bit.

I have also read that a GT3076R-15 .82AR Is rated at the Same power as a GT3040 but has less Lag does this mean also less power up top? And last on the list anyone using a GT3240?

The Engine mods on my car include

HKS 2.3L stroker (been advised by HKS it will REV to a max of 9500rpms with head mods) my RPM limit will be set at 9000rpms MAX but more at the 8500 mark

HKS kansai intake manifold

Cams? Unknown what ones yet looking at 270s maybe 280s depends on turbo choice

Plus a list of other mods but there the main big ones

And the car is being built for Tarmac rally’s / super lap / Track events

Sorry if it such a noob question it just I have read about 8 different forums in regards to these turbos and have not really gotten anywhere other then getting confused to what turbo I should buy

thanks in advanced

id go looking at evolutionm.net to be honest

its a dedicated evo forum, more info than you can poke a stick at on the evo

i would go for a turbo that retains the split pulse setup too

Alright

look at it this way its a R33 GTST

whats the diff between the turbos i have listed is there anything wrong with the GT3040

i have read evom lancer registry and evooz the turbos techsport get are FP 20g wheel there good if you want around 260kw at all fours im not after what turbo is best for my car Just after info inregards to

GT3076R-15 .82AR << will this turbo still make boost at 8500rpms? anyone running this on there R33 GTST? or even R32GTST?

GT3040 What is this miss matched turbo i keep reading about what makes this a "bad" turbo

and GT3240 Is anyone running this at all?

there the choice in the turbos im going i just want to know if people can give me info in regards to the turbo not if it good for my car or not

hope that clears things up a bit?

And i may be going a twin scroll kit But been told they drop off up in the rev range so reading inregards to this as i may get a full race turbo kit setup

R33 is 10 years old at best :)

Evo's use split pulse manifold, therefore keep with that and go a split pulse turbo.

Garrett dont make a split pulse housing that small i believe so you'll need something that does.

So again, something out of the US (where they are frantic about EVO's) or something from someone like Techsport (who've just recently released a new turbo, and are right into EVO motorsport here in Vic)

Twin scroll does not drop off. Its a turbo, its just running outta puff, a single scroll would too.

evo 6 is a 9 years old, omg makes them sound crappy

i have been reading more lancer registry stuff then evoM, as evoM every one seems to be into drag evos and running gt35s or bigger where as LR seem to be track racers and rally people i dont care about i have read all forums i have spent hours on each one reading there turbo sections and searching info

all i wanted info on was the turbos them self as who cares what car it is on just want a bit more info on the 3 turbos i listed

And i wouldt go to techsport if they where the last mechanics on earth mods may want to edit that as i dont know if i can say that or not

As far as modern turbo's go, a 30/40 is a bad combo, too small hot side compared to the compressor gives it poor throtle response, then choked the top end. What power are you looking at making? About to undertake doing up an evo V11 for a mate, and the stock turbo/s are good for 240awkw, above that and i would just be getting a big 16G or 20G

Anyway to the question what is Wrong with a gt3040? I have been advised it is a miss matched turbo how so and how does this effect Power/Lag and so on? As im trying to decided a turbo for my car and I was thinking a gt3040 .63AR (gt3082) would be best for what I want but after reading that it has put me off a bit.

I have also read that a GT3076R-15 .82AR Is rated at the Same power as a GT3040 but has less Lag does this mean also less power up top? And last on the list anyone using a GT3240?

HKS 2.3L stroker (been advised by HKS it will REV to a max of 9500rpms with head mods) my RPM limit will be set at 9000rpms MAX but more at the 8500 mark

HKS kansai intake manifold

Cams? Unknown what ones yet looking at 270s maybe 280s depends on turbo choice

Plus a list of other mods but there the main big ones

And the car is being built for Tarmac rally’s / super lap / Track events

OK one of my mates has an EVO 2 which in an earlier stage of its life was running a .82a/r GT3040 (GT3082R they're called these days) on a 2litre 4G63 which he ended up changing up to a .82a/r GT3582R. I never went in the car with the GT3082R but the GT3582R is surprisingly useable and he believes he should have just gone straight to that - definitely never looked back. He uses the car for track and hillclimb events and is always at the very pointy end of the field. The car feels quite NAish up to around 3000rpm but after that it starts piling on boost quite quickly and by 4500rpm it is fair honking along. It currently uses a 272/280 Kelford cam combination and makes good power up to ~8500rpm.

If you want to make good power up to those revs I'd be inclined to think a GT3582R is really what the doctor ordered for you too, almost everyone in NZ seem to go for those and again - the fastest time attack EVOs in NZ (and there are a LOT of hard tuned EVOs here) are running GT3582Rs, the fastest one I know of took out the two "Superlap" events we've had here and did that on an HKS 2.3litre :)

The GT3076R will make really good power, in my opinion go either a GT3076R or a GT3582R - a GT3082R is a pointless in between which isn't sure of what it wants to be.

Thanks for the help from what im lead to believe the HKS GT3240 is just that a GT3582R thanks for the info guys and thanks for giving me the info on the GT3040 :) i have made the choice and a nice big turbo is on the shopping list and i guess i will run prob run the hks 272cams maybe push it up to 280s we will see

and in response to the big 16g evo 4 and above came out with a big 16g stock i believe well i have a big 16g on at the moment and it maxed out at 242 at all fours the next step is 20g and that maxes out at about 260 - 270 unless on race fuel and huge boost then you can look at 300kw

thanks for the help in regards to the Turbo’s them self as that is all i needed to know not really how well they would be on a evo but that was a bonus

All the turbos above come in a kit for the evo

you can even get a BOLT on gt35kit that will use stock manifold

you can also get Twin scroll GT30 and GT35 kits for the evo from full race

evo%20ts%20engine%20bay.jpg

the only downside to there kit well I think it is a downside is the whole Twin Wastegate setup

There is everything out for the evo in kit form You name the turbo good chance you can buy it in a kit as like i said USA = DRAG RACERS and euro RALLY CARS and JAPAN curcuit

GT3240 is used on the HKS Carbon fiber evo CT230 i think the cars name is (was all carbon running a 3076 now all red running a 3240)

i think i have narrowed the choice down to a 3240 and a 3582 the 3240 from HKS as a kit Or i will go the 3582 From fullrace or BR racing (br racing only use one wastegate)