SAU Community

R33 Shattered Pistons

Hey SAU, im new to the forum and wanted to get some advise... I have a head fk of a problem.... Ive "shattered a piston" as my mechanic just told me.... He said its either due to bad petrol or bad modding lol.... I havnt modded the car and always used Premium Unleaded.... Now im looking at a engine rebuild....

Does anyone know roughly how much it will cost off to get someone to pull engine apart and replace Piston/s...depends if theres more than one broken.... The mechanic said he will go half half with the costs because i did buy the car from them, and they have never encountered this problem before....

So ye, just some figures off the top of your head would be great, so i know how much im looking at....

Take Care

That sucks dude!

Cheapest option is to just buy another bottom end or complete motor slap it in there, I would only recommend doing that if you plan on keeping the car stock and will cost you less than $1000

If you plan on modding rebuild the current motor with forged pistons and new bearings - check out the trader section for some prices or click the link in my sig and get in contact Dan for pricing on parts

But its at this point where you have to say how long is a piece of string?

Good luck!

PS where are you located?

I just want it all stock for now.... Dont have the cash to get forged pistons n stuff.... lol i dont even have the cash to fix this problem haha..... The process he said he was gonna take was pull engine apart.... replace the pistons and then put it all back together..... So would that process also be approx under $1000

thanks for the info dano.... im still up for everyone elses feedback

thanks

I just want it all stock for now.... Dont have the cash to get forged pistons n stuff.... lol i dont even have the cash to fix this problem haha..... The process he said he was gonna take was pull engine apart.... replace the pistons and then put it all back together..... So would that process also be approx under $1000

thanks

nah I would think that would be well over $1000 to pull it all apart and start replacing pistons

Honestly your best bet is going to be look for another engine and drop it in probably about the $1000 dollar mark complete

Then sell all the good stuff from your current one should get $500 for the head alone

Make the mechanic drop it in for free in return yo buy/find the replacement motor hopefully you could get out of it $500 out of pocket

thanks

if you bought it from them being a car yard i assume? i would have thought it'd be covered under warranty, you'd be better off sourcing another motor from somewhere and sliding it straight in as pulling the motor apart and rebuilding it the way your mechanic wants to do it will rise well over 1000.. probaly closer to 4000 due to machining and labour of pulling the motor out and wat not.

much much cheaper to buy another motor and drop it in like dano said

farkkk..... Ofcourse the mechanic wants to go the long way.. bleed me of my cash..... im gonna tell the guy that im only going to put in a little bit of cash..... i just got the car 4 weeks ago, havnt done a thing to it except blitz exhaust system.... and he expects me to pay hahaha...... thanks heaps man...... if anyone has any engines for sale rb25det id prefer to do that..... rather than the longgg process....

They just told me there was oil on the cooler pipping and throttle body..... pretty much coming out of the turbo.... would that be cause by a fkt up piston/s

Yes.

It will cost you about $2500 or more to rebuild your engine with new pistons and put it back in.

If your going to keep the engine standard without forgies your only choice is to buy a second hand bottom end, i saw one in the for sale section for about $300

get your mechanic to pull the old engine out take the head out and put it on the new block and off you go, total cost about $1200 - $1500

They just told me there was oil on the cooler pipping and throttle body..... pretty much coming out of the turbo.... would that be cause by a fkt up piston/s

i tell you what.... im def not paying that much.... ill tell him ill take him to small claims haha if he wants to charge me anything over $1000 ahaha

if its only one piston can he just replace the one.... or does he have to do all of em...... soz man dunno too much of internals....

if its only one piston can he just replace the one.... or does he have to do all of em...... soz man dunno too much of internals....

Bad idea, replace all the pistons and rings, not just one.

If the engine is apart and the bottom end already torn down, replacing only one piston is a waste of time.

If you are really on a budget and only want to rebuild to standard specs, you could price up factory pistons and rings from Nissan.

That said, if you bought the car 4 weeks ago and you haven't done anything stupid like crank the boost up, I would demand that the dealer wear the entire bill.

Unless hes a car dealer i doubt there is any warranty.

But if you did buy it from a dealer then there is a good chance it is covered by a warranty, meaning you pay $0.

If its a private sale and he just happens to be a mechanic, then ur kinda on your own, your probably lucky he agreed to pay for half of your costs.

And a mechanic who works on skylines and has never encountered a broken pistion....please.

Lots of things can cause an engine to knock, and knock can shatter pistons, its not exactly a super rare problem.

If the guy you bought it from is going go fix it, what has he quoted you? He should be the first guy you ask about costs. If it doesnt fit with what the guys have said above, then its time to get suss.

best of luck mate, hope it all works out and you get back to enjoying ur new R33

ye thanks guys.... it is a dealer japcar in fawkner melb he said i cant expect him to wear all of if cos the car was ''perfect'' wen he sold it... wtf is that

ill pay a little but screw paying over 1000 esp when i should have warranty

ye thanks guys.... it is a dealer japcar in fawkner melb he said i cant expect him to wear all of if cos the car was ''perfect'' wen he sold it... wtf is that

i'd say its time for you to get a solicitor if he's not goin to play ball

i'd say its time for you to get a solicitor if he's not goin to play ball

Whoa, easy tiger - Don't get ahead of yourself.

Zeko: Did you question if there was any sort of warranty included with the vehicle when you bought it?

blitz : yer apparently only comes with one month dealer warranty and it ran out 2 nights before the problem occured. But he said he would still look after me but he is not going to wear all the costs as he claims the car was perfect when he sold it to me..... forgetting the fact that his ''soft sports clutch'' was a mass worn out standard clutch which ive also told him to replace.... But im gonna make sure i dont pay too much which is why i started this thred......

thanks everyone....keep the rough prices coming.... just to i get an average......

thanks

second hand warranties are not worth shyte, in the fine print you will probably see that they will pay for parts only, labour is not included, your best bet is to try to inflate the price of parts you are buying, even try to pick up a complete engine, if he is willing to pay for the engine alone then what you get back from selling all the other bits will probably pay for the mechanic to install it.

hmmm.... this last shit i need..... if he tries to spike me with bullshit ill take it further.... because afterall i didnt spend $14,000 on a car to be fkt up and pay another 4000 to fix.... if that was the case i would have kept the 14 and gotten more money and brought a 32 gtr lol.... thanks guys..... im waiting for a response from him now... they are checking it as we speak so ill keep yous updated with the problem/s and price.

Whilst your waiting for his reply get your paper work and read the fine print, that way you will know exactly what he has to do and not just have to go on his word.