SAU Community

Disappointing Results

I recently upgraded my turbo from a HKS GT2530 to HKS 2835 pro s with some disappointing results.

My mods include

HKS FMIC

HKS Pod + custom instake

Wolf v500 ECU

Turbo back 3" exhaust

Hi flo cat

Aftermarket intank fuel pump

Injectors and manifold are stock.

The 2530 was making 307rwhp. After removing 2530 and installing the 2835 and retune car is making 305rwhp @ 16psi!

The tuner states the problem is the engine and he suggests rebuild. He says thay had the car at a max 330rwhp at its absolute limit with the 2835. He tapered the hp back as it was an unsafe tune. The car has 101,000 (probably not realistic!) on the clock and has never missed a beat in the 12,000 kms I have driven it.

I am unsure of what to do. I am considering taking it to another tuner for a second opinion, before I start pulling engines apart and spening big $$!

Could anyone shed some light/advice on this?

PS. car had BP98 in it during tune and exhaust was tested to be fine (no restrictions or temp issues).

Edited by SkyDragon

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can you show us a dyno graph please?

looking for boost, AFR and power plot

this will help

if you max the injectors, the AFR should lean out off the planet, the tuner would have seen that and said holy crapsticks batman and backed off and told you injectors are maxing

so i suspect something else is holding it back. how is the dump pipe setup? what exhaust? what cat? what does the tune look like? does it ping/detonate?

1. It wont be the motor

because

2. As everyone else has said, stock injectors.

To suggest a rebuild is silly and unfounded as far as i see it. Take the car somewhere else.

Clearly they do not know what they are doing if they suggest a rebuild to fix a problem thats got nothing to do with the motor

Thanks for the responses. I will post the Dyno sheet once I get access to a scanner.

The tuner tells me the stock injectors can handle 400hp before replacement is needed. The duty cycle on them was apparently fine?

I purchased the pro s kit, hence I got the HKS dump/front. My existing dump pipe was modified to reach the cat from the HKS front/dump. Cat back the exhaust is 3" Kakimoto. He said he checked the exhaust for restriction and it all tested fine?

The engine began to ping at 330rwhp @ 1.2 bar. Hence the reason the tuner toned it down to be safe.

I immediately think exhaust restriction somewhere but he tells me its fine. The exhaust is a little chopped up now from refabrications I wouldn't think that would cause an issue unless there was a leak?

I do know another tuner who is apparently good with wolf ecu's, hence I am keen to see him for a 2nd opinion.

Rebuild.. By any chance have you mentioned your pay packet to your tuner? Sounds like thats what hes chasing rather than a power figure.

Yes thats exactly what I am thinking!! Hence looking for opinions.

I want to find out if its just negligent tuning/installing. To prove this I will have to go to another tuner.

Injectors though seemingly expensive are a must have , really should be next after the exhaust and computer much past the abilities of the std turbo .

I'd also think seriously about a fuel pump such as a good used 33 GTR one that falls in . If your std pump is a bit tired it is danger to you engine if it dies at the wrong moment .

My vote to pump and injectors and Z32 AFM if not MAP sensed .

A .

Hook a lappy and the software up to your own ECU, got for a blat and check the max inj duty :laugh:

Just went for a drive, got the below numbers.... injector duty highest reading was 85.2 at 13.4 psi. First time I have done this! I take it this could mean my injectors are the issue?

Packet Number0 32

Packet Size 32

RPM Decimal 5625

Load Decimal 74

Throttle Position 65.2

PSI Boost 13.4

Injector 1 Delivered 18.056

Injector 1 Acc Enrichment TICs 0

Injector 1 Duty Cycle 85.2

I recently upgraded my turbo from a HKS GT2530 to HKS 2835 pro s with some disappointing results.

My mods include

HKS FMIC

HKS Pod + custom instake

Wolf v500 ECU

Turbo back 3" exhaust

Hi flo cat

Aftermarket intank fuel pump

Injectors and manifold are stock.

The 2530 was making 307rwhp. After removing 2530 and installing the 2835 and retune car is making 305rwhp @ 16psi!

The tuner states the problem is the engine and he suggests rebuild. He says thay had the car at a max 330rwhp at its absolute limit with the 2835. He tapered the hp back as it was an unsafe tune. The car has 101,000 (probably not realistic!) on the clock and has never missed a beat in the 12,000 kms I have driven it.

I am unsure of what to do. I am considering taking it to another tuner for a second opinion, before I start pulling engines apart and spening big $$!

Could anyone shed some light/advice on this?

PS. car had BP98 in it during tune and exhaust was tested to be fine (no restrictions or temp issues).

take it to some one else