SAU Community

Rb20det ? What Turbo Should I Use

Are we talking with the 8.0cm2 Exhaust Housing or the 6.0cm2?

as we were comparing the GT2530 i was talking 6cm (dont expect over 220-240rwkw though) (i probably should have made that clear ROY, sorry)

Wheezys is killer (my favorite RB20 setup to date) but is a 8cm and is my weapon of choice with a 4.3 diff ratio it literally laughed out at 270rwkw run :rolleyes: i reckon with some serious head work it would crack 300rwkw easy.. (not the kind of setup that comes close to the GT2530 for comparison)

In this comparo though i reckon the 6cm would be a wild ride, with any ratio. same response as the 2530 and a much steeper / broader power and torque curve.

It would need to be special order, ive done a few 6cm on SR's and CA's and they punch so hard. Dont get me wrong though the GT2530 is a good turbo and is impossible to beat for VALUE but seat of the pants L2 is GOD.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked at the 6cm when i changed from 10cm to 8cm. The 6cm is bloody small. I think the 6cm is definitely 1.5L territory and for use on twin turbo 6 cylinder setups. I was tempted to try one until i physically held one in my hand. Tiny is the word i think i used.

I looked at the 6cm when i changed from 10cm to 8cm. The 6cm is bloody small. I think the 6cm is definitely 1.5L territory and for use on twin turbo 6 cylinder setups. I was tempted to try one until i physically held one in my hand. Tiny is the word i think i used.

yeah they are small but like the 8cm they just seem to be able to stretch further than they should (on theSR20's anyway), i had a pair put aside for our next RB26 project (superlap) but i think i will swap the #7 housing on the k5 to the #9 and see what it goes like... if im not happy then expect twin L2's 6cm strapped to the side :D

I reckon some form of 2530/GT2860RS/GT2871R (in 48T only) on HKS's T3 flanged GT28 IW turbine housing is probably the place to be for a reasonable useful power range .

That last one ie the GT2871R in 48T is basically a GTRS but with a 48T vs 52T compressor wheel . It would give a few more Lbs of air than a 2530 or 2860RS so possibly another 30 odd horses power potential .

A .

well i am very happy with the response this thread is getting......

i am liking the sound of this TD06LS with a 8cm rear housing and a 52t now how much and where do i get one

are they internally gated or external

well i am very happy with the response this thread is getting......

+1. Although I'm more inclined towards the 6cm rear housing, just after a responsive 200rwkw.

But I'm also interested to know what is included in the 8cm turbo kit? i.e. manifold, ext gate etc?

Personally, its overkill to use the TD06 with the 6cm housing and choke it up for only 200rwkws. Far better to get a bolt on TD05-18G, be a much nicer option with better transient response etc. But then you are talking an eqiv turbo to a 2530 etc so why put up with a oil cooled plain bearing turbo if you can get a water cooled, ball bearing turbo that has been proven to work well on a 2L...ie 2530?!?!?!

The GT-RS is an option and has shown that they have some potential for 250rwkws on an RB20, best of all they are almost bolt on internal gate. So far more convenient then a full TD06 setup

so if some one can help me out on where to get this trust td06sl2 set up from that would be great

see i will buy this turbo and will build my other engine in the mean while

it would be good to get a great price for this

yeah i would go the trust TD06 cause they make fairly big power and are not laggy on a rb20 which is good cause going anything bigger on a rb20 is crap for pick up, i went to big on mine and it was crap, power figure was good but just real laggy

as i said before i was keen on the TD06SL2 20g 8cm rear not the 6cm rear so that it dosent 'chock it up' and should still be good for around 240rwkw

i would expect minimum 250rwkw.

thanks alot guys

is there any other places that i can get it they seem pretty good for price

sold a fair few, out of stock ATM but expect $4200-4300, alot of coin but it is a killer kit. If your after a simple bolt on you can save alot of coin....

yeah i was expexting bout that price and that covers the whole kit and kaboodal right

i was looking for the turbo and all i could find was the triangle flange type

so u sell the kits do u........... are they straight bolt on

i'll send pm if so

In the early 3,000rpm it start to ramp onto boost. Depending on the tune, the mods, the gear you are in etc, expect 18psi by 4,500rpm at the absolute worst. More like about 4,200rpm i think

Here is a plot of my turbo and a GT-RS on very similar RB20s.

med_gallery_462_50_171164.jpg

The revs may be a little bit out depending on tyre diam, but its looks about right, if not a bit optimistic

No time ATM but that TD06SL2 turbine is bit of a special and supposed to be a Trust spec item , the Evo crowd really like them in reverse rotation twin scroll form - with the "Right" compressor .

Will get back later but there are some interesting possibilities with the larger TD04 turbines - TD04HL and TE04H , and some of the I think Volvo or Saabs had a 7cm housing and a sort of T3 style flange .

Later , A .