SAU Community

Rb20det ? What Turbo Should I Use

hey just got a high mount manifold and got 700cc injectors and

power fc and full 3in just trying to work out what turbo i should use

have been thinking of a gt30r with .63 rear housing but wat are ur appinions.

i dont want it to be to laggy but still want it to hi boost hard

sorta a street car and drift pig i'm going for

just let me know what u all think

thanks blocka

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well laggy +GT30 frame + RB20 = laggy no matter what you do mate. Thats how it is.

If you want it to hit boost hard, i suggest a older T3 bush bearing hi-flow. probably the best turbo to be....

It goes like this... nothing... nothing... nothing... HIT HARD BOOST VTEC yO!

However, if you want a decent setup that is responsive, makes the RB20 look like a reasonable motor etc

HKS 2530 is the winner of the battle, 220rwkw with as much of a 'broad' range as you'll get. Anything bigger and your not going to see anything before 4000rpm

Thats just my thoughts anyhow. Im a response setup person

hey just got a high mount manifold and got 700cc injectors and

power fc and full 3in just trying to work out what turbo i should use

have been thinking of a gt30r with .63 rear housing but wat are ur appinions.

i dont want it to be to laggy but still want it to hi boost hard

sorta a street car and drift pig i'm going for

just let me know what u all think

thanks blocka

+1 on the HKS 2530 setup.

If you want something a little different and you are willing to adapt, anything like a 2860RS, 2871R etc will do. Just need to adapt to the manifold and dump etc. Same as if you were going for the 30R.

With the right head setup, a 30R with a .6 rear will see 1 bar before 4500. There are a few better options for better response in that range though. External gated 3076R or 3071R, these are more responsive than the 30R due to the smaller turbine wheel but still retain a good sized compressor for overall hp.

Was that loaded on the dyno in 4th or on the street?

There is a big difference, especially if he is drifting which isnt neccesarily loaded up if your spinning the tyres in a lower gear

on the street it came on earlier.

lol

whats funny?

do you think the calibration on a dyno will always be accurate?

on my tacho on the street it was showing me i was making full boost just befor 4k, dyno showed it to be just after 4200 and the rev limit went to 7800 where the ecu was set to 7200.

3071 or 3076 with .63 rear externally gated sounds pretty good or wat about a 3037 with a .63 or .7 rear and a .6 front

i know that with the rb20 i wont get to much so i will eventually do a 25/30 combo but that wont happen for about a year

so how much would i be looking at and where can i get one

Edited by blockasR32

I had a GT30 0.63 sitting there for my 20.

Sold it and purchased a Trust TD06L2.

The guy who purchased the GT30 put it on a 20, made 240rwkw on 20psi.

I make 277rwkw on 18psi with heaps left in the thing.

that doesn't sound right for a GT3076R.

you must've had the smaller version GT3071R (with smaller/cropped turbine wheel) or the tune was bad.

that doesn't sound right for a GT3076R.

you must've had the smaller version GT3071R (with smaller/cropped turbine wheel) or the tune was bad.

It was not a 3076 or 71, it was the 3082, and I never used it.

The guy who bought it reckons his ecu he was using could not handle it......(strange for an aftermarket ecu :D, you are correct that something was holding it back however; my finger points at tune)

there are only two opitions in my mind for a rb20

1. 2530 GTRS

2. TD06LS

both excellent response with great power

if u want to do 25/30 save your money and do it properly stick with the stock turbo till u build it

1. 2530 GTRS

2. TD06LS

if u want to do 25/30 save your money and do it properly stick with the stock turbo till u build it

go the HKS 2530 i got a t04 on mine and is laggy as all hell

L2 is gods gift to RB20... end of story.

1. 2530 GTRS

2. TD06LS

Just so people dont get carried away with expectation....there is nothing excellent about the response of a TD06 or GT-RS on an RB20. The 2530 is marginally better through the lower rpm range but loses out big time up top.

So, I agree with the saving money for the 25/30, if you are not going to be happy with puinchy 200rwkws or laggier 250rwks odd and will end up going 30...then just save your coin.