SAU Community

Bicycle Thread

Mr Eps

it wasn't really the landing or the height it was more the speed

and i got it for $390 at half price + 10% off

the frame is tough as nails it's VERY sturdy but also very heavy.. that's beside the point, we're not talking about the rincon, we're talking about the future prospect of the alias / yukon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 for Farkin

Well for off road duties i have myself an 08 Yeti 575... X0/XTR build.. black, bling, light, strong. I love it.

Had a Giant Trance before that for a couple of years, but it was time to trade in the housewife for a supermodel :P

Road bike is a trusty 06 Giant OCR carbon frame with Ultegra bits bolted on to it. Saving up for a new TCR but the crap aussie dollar has hurt bike prices (and everything else) a lot.

Mr EPs : Yukon is an nice bike, my mate had one.

Definately recommended ... otehrwise if your budget can stretch look at the Talon, or even check out some 2nd hand XTC models - probably about the best bang for buck hardtail you'll be able to find IMO. there's always lots for sale on Farkin and bikeexchange

Edited by Beeble

not really interested in second hand... the conditions of purchasing my new bike will be either in september when the rincon's warranty runs out or if the shock explodes again

cos getting the shock repaired under warranty is taking 2 weeks

it's been 3 days without a bike now and it's KILLING me cos i ride everyday!!! i'm using spin bike at the gym to maintain fitness but it's not the same as going for a proper ride

the speed

the wind

the fact u beat traffic when they stop at traffic lights

the feeling of escape from reality

im addicted to all those feelings you get

arggghhhhh

just knowing i have at least another 9-10 working days without a bike is just murderrrrr i don't care if you guys think i've gone gaylove for my bike but since buying a decent bike (rincon) i've become consumed with everything i feel on a bike, and i want more!!! i honestly do love nothing more than riding at the moment!!

i also LOVE the colourway of the alias, black n green > blue n silver

ok so i took the alias for a ride today

fell in love at first ride

27 speed

the acceleration

the fact it weighs 14kg

hydro brakes

hydro gears

the riding position

the fact the top frame bar "dips" so it won't hit my knees

its perfect

so decided that im going to buy it asap - say in about 3 weeks so im gonna sell the rincon

anyone know what would be a wise thing to ask for it??

the guy in the bike shop said as it's only 4 months old + still in warranty + brand new shocks i could probably get 300 for it

is that fair??

Edited by Mr Eps

so you meant hydro forks? i wasn't being a smart arse, just asking the question to make sure you hadn't been told some bullshit, lol. but i sort of figured you knew enough about bike to not get told too much bullshit and just wanted to see if it was a cock up on your part

well

truth be told

i was drunk when i wrote that

not kidding

haha

found a TBE store that is willing to sell me the green livery for $1100

everyone else can get the blek one for $1100 but if i want green they hav to order it in for $1400

im putting it on layby now so that i dont hav to fork out huge amount of up-front cash

plus i beat any potential price increases as our dorra gets worse

• 4 weeks later...

ok UPDATE from me

rincon is a 25" frame, shock blew out, that was 4 weeks ago, now the end of the 5th week awaiting replacement part, - turns out they aren't sure where to source a 25" shock.. i said to the retailer FORGET IT just refund me the money for my bike and i'll buy a new one, took a few days but they realised that it's easier to do this than keep me waiting... i informed them i was getting annoyed that it's taken as long as it has

so

they're refunding wat a i paid for the rincon with a creditnote, sending the rincon back to giant as a faulty bike. letting them deal with it

then

selling me a 2009 green alias at costprice as a gesture of goodwill minus the creditnote

so

on saturday i pick up a giant alias for $590

WOOP

very happy about that

marc

i may make a tyre order soon, im thinking of maybe some silly coloured tyres?

hav you got any navy blue / red / purple tyres???

very interested in purple

semi slicks or BMX style, anything suitable for road use

=)

ummm, not really anything coloured for MTB wheels. could possibly see what i could get though.

and you ride a 25" frame??? holy fuck!!!!! that's epicly massive. unless you are 7' tall that is WAAAAAAAAY to big. i'm 6'3 and i'm only on a 20" frame, but could possibly be on a 22" but i find them a bit long.

and yes i know how queer some of that sounded

*waits for edited quote

no need to edit that quote, you gay'd it up on your own

plus i can't judge i'm chasing purple tyres!!!!

hahaha

seriously i have 100% seen purple bike tyres

i'll get them don't you worry

and yeah the alias is gonna be a 24" i rode a 22 but the guy in the shop said that it'd cause me epic back problems due to my long arms

=/

i personally thought it was fine in the test ride but he said it was not going to be noticable until i do a long ride

but i dunno

time shall tell i guess

cos like

yeah

the "xl" frame seemed fine to me

but they said i'd feel better on an xxl

i'll hav to give it a shot i guess

ps

purple tyres exist

michelin proraceII

granted they're not MTB Xcore

but

they DO exist

and i HAVE seen yellow / red / blue mtb tyres

i'll just rock the trans-cities i guess =)

can't wait to get the alias though!