SAU Community

Bicycle Thread

Mr Eps

thinking of getting some 5 spoke mage to put on my alias...make it look even more 90's than it already does. - marc would these go on to a bike with disc brakes and gears???

they look like they'd only be suitable for fixies with vbrakes...

BlackWheels_1.gif

also

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marc, my 07 Alias has the hayes sole brakes. They keep popping the seal out the front and losing the fuild. Apparently there is a Shimano lever assembly that fixes the problem. Are you aware of these? PM me a price buddy.

kenny, i had a pm ready to go but the computer chucked a shit and shut it. i will redo it shortly but the general idea was:

shimano levers and hayes levers are not compatiable due to shimano using mineral oil and hayes using dot fluid. the dot fluid will eat out the seals in the shimano levers.

your best bet will be to replace the whole system with a twin piston setup which will set you back about $120 to $130 rrp per end (will pm you better prices later) for a twin piston setup from brands like shimano or tektro which will give you better braking.

bahahahahhahaha

another avenue to look at ken is hitting up giant for a warranty replacement - see if they don't have the parts on hand and if they don't have a cry and say you want an upgrade - buttttt

i like marc, so i reckon it's better give him money anyways

so marc - the wheels - what's the go? are you aware of a 26" that will fit discs n shit?

i was thikning lastnight while i was swimming... if you have 30 thin spokes then as your wheel spins then the force is distributed over those 30 thin weightless spokes

but 5 thick fat spokes means more weight is pushed to the outside of the wheel, creating less rolling resistance and making me go really really super fast

is my assumption correct? i think it makes sense =/

giant would just instruct the shop to get a lever from dirtworks (australian distributor of hayes) and it would be something they keep in stock.

um, no. the whole reason for less spokes in wheels is for aerodynamics. as far as weight distribution goes, it will all be pretty much equal. instead of having the weight distributed evenly over the wheel it will be concentrated in only a few spots. so as i said it will even out.

rolling resistance is usually determined by tyre width, tread design and pressure. less spoked wheels are also more prone to buckling and warping and are much harder to straighten as you can't use spoke tension to straighten it.

as for price, what a decent set of multi-spoke wheels will cost you for your bike, you could buy a road bike to use on the road and go faster than a mtb with slick tyres. and trying to find some to suit your bike is going to be near impossible. pretty much no one makes them for 26".

although unrelated, i thoroughly recommend people watch this video

^ That vid is sick! Saw it a couple of weeks ago. The guy is unreal!!!

Sole are rubbish. Tektro arent that good either.

You cant go wrong with Hayes Nine or Shimano XT or high end Avids. Even the basic shimanos are good.

Dirtjerks are the biggest pain in the arse to deal with...and quite expensive too.

As much as all bike shop owners hate it...Pro Bike Kit!

Rowan, I was told that Giant arent warranting the brakes on the 07 (way out of wassers now anywho). Marco, shoot me a price brah on whatever you thinks best, f**ked if I know I just need to tow junior in the buggy.

^ That vid is sick! Saw it a couple of weeks ago. The guy is unreal!!!

Sole are rubbish. Tektro arent that good either.

You cant go wrong with Hayes Nine or Shimano XT or high end Avids. Even the basic shimanos are good.

Dirtjerks are the biggest pain in the arse to deal with...and quite expensive too.

As much as all bike shop owners hate it...Pro Bike Kit!

i've never had much of an issue with dirtworks in the 8 years i have been dealing with them. some of their prices can be a bit high though, but no different to 99% of all the other suppliers though. i know of plenty much worse suppliers to deal with that sell much more high end stuff and are jerks simply because they know that if people want the stuff they have to deal with it. and because the customers are uneducated they still want the stuff despite the fact that they could get better stuff from other brands for less money but won't because the other brand doesn't have the wank factor.

as for pro bike kit, people who buy stuff from overseas sites are only making prices of bike parts through australian distributors more expensive. plus you are also making service costs more expensive. also warranty issues for stuff bought outside australia must be dealt with through who you bought it off. so while you may save money buying stuff overseas, if you need to claim warranty on it it may end up costing you a heap more.

kenny, pm coming

ah that's a shame - and FYI my bike happily keeps up with car traffic and easilly beats my mate on his CRX-2

=)

i'm extremely proud of my ride yo

also

while we're on this topic - i'm waatchiing this on frdiay night with a mate - can't wait!!!

ok youtube isn't working at my work

but it's called MashSF

basically it's a bunch of dude hammering the CRAP out of fixeys in SF traffic

highway traffic banked back and these guys are doing about 60kmh ducking n weaving in n out of lanes

wait

working now

ps WORD to skitching off a V35

They're lighter than the Marz 888 VF2's I had on the last bike. :P

I've found that the compression control makes it a lot easier to pedal up hills too because it acts like a lock out. :)