SAU Community

Tyre Options, What Do You Recon?

Kujotk

im looking for new front tyres, my options are cheap no names for $200 a pair but guy recons they very good grip wise....

looking at federal 595's for 235/45/17 roughly $400 balanced, fitted and wheel alignment.

Goodyear eagle F1's about $500 for 2 balanced fitted, wheel alignment at parra road lichardt and Aus best

And Tempe said f**k both them tyres and go for Khumo for $370 balanced fitted and wheel algnment.

What im getting at is:

Is Tepmpe tyres correct by saying these Khomos are better and cheaper than the goodyears and the Federals??????

i dont know who to trust..... cheers

Depends what you're getting them for really.

From personal experience having tried Federals, Kumho's and Sava's on my Commodore, I'd go for Kumho's for handling (bearing in mind these are all cheap tyres) or Sava's for longevity.

Personally wouldn't go to Tempe though. Have you tried calling up a few other tyre shops nearby?

just replied in another thread.

I just got some Kumho 265/35/18 Ku31's from Tempe yesterday for $190 each. I've had good reports from them from others on this forum and also from tyre reviews online.

They are definately better than Nankangs, Nexens etc

I've used Goodyear eagle f1's(not the GSd3's) a few years ago, nothing special they still aquaplanned and were made in Thailand (NB: the latest Goodyear Eagle F1's GSd3's rated top of the list in the Wheels or Motor mag)

im looking for new front tyres, my options are cheap no names for $200 a pair but guy recons they very good grip wise....

looking at federal 595's for 235/45/17 roughly $400 balanced, fitted and wheel alignment.

Goodyear eagle F1's about $500 for 2 balanced fitted, wheel alignment at parra road lichardt and Aus best

And Tempe said f**k both them tyres and go for Khumo for $370 balanced fitted and wheel algnment.

What im getting at is:

Is Tepmpe tyres correct by saying these Khomos are better and cheaper than the goodyears and the Federals??????

i dont know who to trust..... cheers

If you have the money I would go with Dunlop SP3000's (Standard fitment on FPV's, Usually about 1g for all four fitted and balanced). They were excellent in both wet and dry on my commodore with absolutely no tyre noise. I have had nankangs (not NS2) on cars previous and made noise. R33 has NS2's on the rear and continentals on the front (Handles like u wouldnt believe in dry anyway).

I used Federals on my commodore previously as the guy from Tyreselect said they came of the same line as Dunlops and they were great but on my wifes impreza had tyre noise like a mofo.

Missus has MAXXIS(Bobjane brand they stock) on her line and they have been great in both wet and dry but you do get tyre noise every now and then.

Up to you......my parents swear by Kumho's......

Hope that makes it clear as mud :P

Yea kumho/Nexen are a great tyre for the cheaper price range, much better than any nankang/wanli/linglong or other chinese tyres that are being dumped on the market these days.

in reply to imtorqing. The dunlop OEM sp3000 are nice tyres, not the best, better than any of the lower end brands. Should cost well below $1000 a set, i can do these even cheaper than the $370 for the pair of kumhos you got quoted, (which does not sound right?)

end of the day make sure you get tyres that will match your needs(and budget).

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys.

I'm a Tyre Fitter are at a large retail tyre store. And we do sell the Egle F1's by Goodyear. Personally I wound't recommend any of those tyre but if i had to it would be the Egle F1. They got silica in them so you are going to get good grip in wet and dry. And far as KM's go, you should get around 50,000KM's or so if you look after them. Meaning balance, rotate and wheel align every 10,000km's or every 6 months. If you don't, mainly on the Egle F1 they tend to get stuffed real quick with uneven wear on them. Like any low profile tyre, you need to take care of them or you can end up wasting your money. Another good one is the Dunlop SP3000A. Highly recommend the Dunlop Sp SportsMaxx. (Made in Japan or Germeny) Not China. But they are EXPENSIVE.

I've got Kumho KU31's very happy with them. Kumho classify them as an Ultra-high performance tyre.

They contain Silica (or high dispersable silica to be exact), which most high performance tyres do.

You'll find lots of recommendations for them on this forum, i dont know anyone who is unhappy with their performance. I dont expect them to be a long-lasting tyre, there is always a trade-off between performance and economy.