SAU Community

Circuit Gtr, Which Intercooler?

Hi,

Just wondering if I could get people's opinions, especially those who have first hand experience, on what would be the better intercooler set-up for our mainly to be track / circuit driven r32 GTR...

The choice is between (1) A perfect condition r34 GTR v-spec intercooler, or (2) A good condition Trust 100mm thick tube and fin bolt in intercooler?

I have both coolers ready to go just tossing up which one to chuck on.

Factors to consider include:

- QLD heat - maybe up to 38 degree track days.

- Max 340rwkw power, with -5 garret turbos, maybe 1.4 bar boost.

- Any increased lag / worse throttle response and how much..

- decent 52mm alu radiator will also be installed

Any input is appreciated... Thanks in advance..

Cheers,

Aku

I would look at which one i could get the most money for and sell it and keep the other. The std cooler is meant to be a pretty good thing and on the circuit you always have plenty of airflow through it so heat soak isnt such a concern.

That all said i suspect the Trust jobbie would do the job slightly better :wacko:

standard

spend your money on ducting for your oil cooler and ducting to your brake setup

these will be far more important than what intercooler core to use

Yeh fair enough but what about the high intake temps from running around 20psi boost in like a 35degree day and the potential power loss / detonation / possible ring damage and more?

Wouldnt the trust unit hold the intake temps consistantly lower?

I read somewhere that someone running 1.2 bar through a 32gtr cooler (a cooler that apparently flows less but cools same as 34 gtr cooler) with upgraded turbos is always on the adge when it comes to detonation and intake temps on a hot type day here in QLD.

Thanks for the responses so far..

I would look at which one i could get the most money for and sell it and keep the other. The std cooler is meant to be a pretty good thing and on the circuit you always have plenty of airflow through it so heat soak isnt such a concern.

That all said i suspect the Trust jobbie would do the job slightly better :wacko:

Yeah I am considering this too... Should be able to get a fair bit more for the Trust unit..

where is are you going to mount your oil cooler?

I am running a HKS 3 layer intercooler (100mm), but my oil cooler sits behind the intercooler and in front of the radiator.

I would like to get some ducting for the oil cooler or relocate somewhere else as I am sure it could save 5-10 degrees oil temp not sitting behind thick intercooler...

michael

I am running a HKS 3 layer intercooler (100mm), but my oil cooler sits behind the intercooler and in front of the radiator.

I would like to get some ducting for the oil cooler or relocate somewhere else as I am sure it could save 5-10 degrees oil temp not sitting behind thick intercooler...

michael

Spot on mick, IDropped a lot of oil temp when i relocated from where your's is to under the front bar where it gets good airflow from the vent.

Edited by FineLine

michael

Yeah I'm not going to mount the oil cooler between intercooler and radiator.. Either looking what Fineline has said or then next to the gearbox (as suggested by Gavin Wood Autotech).. Havent really looked into the oil cooler part as much yet but will definitely run one..

I guess the key with the oil cooler is basically independent airflow through it just as with the intercooler so anywhere it can get 1st hand air so to speak..

What is your setup like Michael as I will be hitting QR aswell, I mean boost, inlet temps, water temps, oil temps etc?

Did you used to own an evo4 before?

Cheers,

Aku

Hey Aku,

Long time no see... Dont know if you heard yet.. Vinnie just bought an 04 m3, and a second set of race rims with semi's on them!!! We should all go to QR soon and have some fun!!!

P.s the 34 is heaps quicker than the M3!!!!!!! :wacko: .

Take care mate. glad your keeping the GTR.

Yeah I'm not going to mount the oil cooler between intercooler and radiator.. Either looking what Fineline has said or then next to the gearbox (as suggested by Gavin Wood Autotech).. Havent really looked into the oil cooler part as much yet but will definitely run one..

I guess the key with the oil cooler is basically independent airflow through it just as with the intercooler so anywhere it can get 1st hand air so to speak..

What is your setup like Michael as I will be hitting QR aswell, I mean boost, inlet temps, water temps, oil temps etc?

Did you used to own an evo4 before?

Cheers,

Aku

Just had a retro look at some of my temp figures before and after the location change of the oil cooler.

On the strteet With the cooler mounted up in front of the radiator the oil temp would steadily climb till it reached water temp (84%)

On the track water temp climbed to around 88/90% but the oil temp would go through 120%.

After i relocated the cooler to under the front bar the oil temp on the street ran a degree or2 higher than water temp but never went past 93% on the track on a hot day.

A marked improvement and well worth doing.

Hey Aku. Is the Vinny of whom you speak the guy with the red 32 gtr, That was a quick car. The bimmer will have its work cut out trying to match it.

Edited by FineLine

Hey Aku,

Long time no see... Dont know if you heard yet.. Vinnie just bought an 04 m3, and a second set of race rims with semi's on them!!! We should all go to QR soon and have some fun!!!

P.s the 34 is heaps quicker than the M3!!!!!!! :thumbsup: .

Take care mate. glad your keeping the GTR.

Hi Ben,

Good to hear from you.. No I haven't heard about Vin's M3.. I was supposed to meet up with him the other week but didnt end up happening.

Yeah Im with you all the way with the track fun stuff, I should be good to go for track in around 2 months and will then be keen as. Lakeside is definitely a go aswell. Probably a bit better than QR from what I have heard...and Hilly too!

Talk soon...

Just had a retro look at some of my temp figures before and after the location change of the oil cooler.

On the strteet With the cooler mounted up in front of the radiator the oil temp would steadily climb till it reached water temp (84%)

On the track water temp climbed to around 88/90% but the oil temp would go through 120%.

After i relocated the cooler to under the front bar the oil temp on the street ran a degree or2 higher than water temp but never went past 93% on the track on a hot day.

A marked improvement and well worth doing.

Hey Aku. Is the Vinny of whom you speak the guy with the red 32 gtr, That was a quick car. The bimmer will have its work cut out trying to match it.

Nah he used to have a black gtr. Must be a different guy.

Thanks for your feedback regarding temps etc, appreciate it!

Anyone got any more input...

Stock r34 gtr v-spec intercooler vs trust 100mm cooler for circuit use?

Stock will be fine. Also you don't need to go to that large a radiator. But if you do it would be worthwhile looking at an oil/water cooler for your engine oil rather than an oil/air cooler.

You can also do no end of good by ensuring the motor breathes cold air to start with. This can be difficult to arrange partiularly if you put an oil cooler in the usual position of the passenger side of the front air dam.

I did, before my silver r32 GTR.

I have been hunted down. lol

Have we met? Hopefully see you at QR soon. :)

cheers

Mick

A mate of mine test drove your evo4 when you were selling it. Just met you briefly I think. Somehow just though that was you, haha I was right!

Yeah will be at QR soon. Hopefully some Lakeside days too.. Just waiting on some free time so we can get bigger sump and oil cooler done before I get out there and blow the rest of the standard motor up :blink:

lol, cool :banana:

on the sump, I still have stock capacity sump, just keeping it overfull and have done a year worth of sprints at QR so far...

Hmm that's good to know. Yeah that's what i've been doing so far as well and has worked well but somehow i just feel as its a ticking timebomb and basically ive cut a deal to get it done without really costing anything so just thought id do it..

what intercooler do you run and whats the rest of your setup? seems like a good track package you have with those times etc.. and stock sump with the g-forces required to do 57's for a year is pretty impressive.. fresh engine though?

firstly sticking an oil cooler between the intercooler and radiator is a poor idea. waste of time. to do it properly you need to place it in one of the ducts and let it vent out the back of the guard lining. use some alloy sheet to seal it off so the air flows through the core properly.

personaly I say neither intercooler is "best" for circuit use. a nice light, good flowing ARC M079 would be the trick, with the fluted intakes, lightweight 70mm thick core. but since you have a trust one just use that. just be aware that that big thick intercooler is going to kill the air flow to your radiator so you intake temps and boost pressure drop may improve but your water temp will go up a fair bit. so then you need to upgrade the rad too. or you can stick with the stock intercooler and (since it allows more airflow through the core) and the stock radiator and use some smart ducting to improve their efficiencey. and do the duct mounted oil cooler too.

firstly sticking an oil cooler between the intercooler and radiator is a poor idea. waste of time. to do it properly you need to place it in one of the ducts and let it vent out the back of the guard lining. use some alloy sheet to seal it off so the air flows through the core properly.

personaly I say neither intercooler is "best" for circuit use. a nice light, good flowing ARC M079 would be the trick, with the fluted intakes, lightweight 70mm thick core. but since you have a trust one just use that. just be aware that that big thick intercooler is going to kill the air flow to your radiator so you intake temps and boost pressure drop may improve but your water temp will go up a fair bit. so then you need to upgrade the rad too. or you can stick with the stock intercooler and (since it allows more airflow through the core) and the stock radiator and use some smart ducting to improve their efficiencey. and do the duct mounted oil cooler too.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah im pretty aware of the temp issues and will have a decent radiator going in and will spend a lot of effort on ducting etc.. will do some more investigating on the oil cooler location etc but what you mentioned definitely seems like a goer.. just a bit worried about brake cooling if i was to mount it in one of the ducts but i suppose theres a way around that too..