SAU Community

How Much Can Stock R32 Gtr Turbos Handle?

fandango

hi guys I have had my r33 gtst for 4 months now and have started looking at r32 gtrs. I have raced a few.... well tried to race and im sick of getting left behind, way behind. I want something a faster and this is the logical next step.

just wondering how many psi gtr stock turbos can handle, and how many KW's they are good for at the wheels. Mainly interested in how many KW's they can make on a safe everyday tune. i know they are getting old, and i dont want stupid 400 kw power, but i just want to know their limits. i have searched but could really find the conclusive answer i was after.

thanks guys

if they are in good condition (and it's impossible to tell, so just a gamble really) then they are good for around 260rwkw @ 1 bar. much more than that and they are spinning pretty fast and getting pretty hot for 20yo turbos. and at this age they could fail at any time. conversely they may live happily for years.

my advice, look for a GTR that has a nice set of small, direct replacement turbos already fitted. Like HKS GT-SS, or Nissan R34 N1s or the generic garret equivalents.

Although a little contraversial I think a set of dialed in cams for stock turbos are good for enhancing their power delivery.

You get bottom end like an RB30 and the driving experience is a fantastic improvement. You also don't need as much boost, timing or aggressice AFR to make the same power or greater. I had only one dyno printout retained from one initial tune (the lowest starting point) and it shows as much or even a little more power at 3,000 rpm than peoples Rb30 hybrids including stock turbo ones.

I am a few months away from doing the Tomie Cam / stock turbo combo again, so I can replicate the results I got last time. I will be doing a step by step on it and giving the cam timing settings and hopefully timing map info I wind up with to share, as setting up cams for people and lots of tuners is more 'magic' than science sometimes. So it's goos to have some info kicking about.

If anyone has a set of Tomei 260's they want to donate I'm happy to guinea pig them :yucky:

R32 motor - i wouldnt push past 12psi.

The motors/turbos are on borrowed time as it is. Running 1bar the chance of shitting a turbo, and then consequentally killing the motor is a likely result

I'd buy nothing less than a R33 GTR if your going to get into GTR's. 32's are just too far gone and clapped out.

And those that are not, are fetching prices that R33's sell for.

Other than that, GTR turbos, outputs/limitations have all been covered 100's of times now with much more detail.

If your that keen on finding out - the search is the place

Same as what Ash said 12 Psi = +0.8 Bar, +0.1 bar over standard.

Don't push the Ceramic turbos too hard.

R32, 33 or 34 GTR's, either way they will have to be rebuilt or replaced.

These cars from Japan are not treated as nicely as you think.

If you want a R32, just be prepared to fix things.

If you want a R33, just be prepared to fix things, maybe a year or 2 later.

Same goes for the R34.

if they are in good condition (and it's impossible to tell, so just a gamble really) then they are good for around 260rwkw @ 1 bar. much more than that and they are spinning pretty fast and getting pretty hot for 20yo turbos. and at this age they could fail at any time. conversely they may live happily for years.

Tune is also important as it effect exhaust temperature. So with old ceramic turbos its probably best to run a little richer that you otherwise might, to put less heat stress on the turbos. The factory rebuild period for the turbos is 100,000kms, and i'm sure that avoiding this maintenance is part of the problem with them letting go.

FWIW i'm running 13.5psi at 270kw, but while my midrange mixtures are 11.8, my high ends 12.2, so i'll get that brought down to 11.8 (and loose a little power) before i give the car any serious right foot encouragement.

It is a gamble really. bought a R33 GTR bout six months ago, an was told the wheels in the turbos had been replaced (and they hadn't) an was running 17 PSI for bout six months 12,000km with plenty of time spent at redline an never had any problems, till i did some more back ground research on the car and found the wheels hadn't bn. so just got some new garrets. but yer i dont suggest that much boost. if the wheels are okay i think 1 bar should be fine.

i run 13psi i wouldnt push much pass that 262rwkw 12.0 on the 1/4 mile

they will break at some time.... and remember a engine rebuild is easy 10g start doing turbos pfc ect ect add more to that!

hi guys I have had my r33 gtst for 4 months now and have started looking at r32 gtrs. I have raced a few.... well tried to race and im sick of getting left behind, way behind. I want something a faster and this is the logical next step.

just wondering how many psi gtr stock turbos can handle, and how many KW's they are good for at the wheels. Mainly interested in how many KW's they can make on a safe everyday tune. i know they are getting old, and i dont want stupid 400 kw power, but i just want to know their limits. i have searched but could really find the conclusive answer i was after.

thanks guys

hey mate im running stock r32 engine and turbos all i have are pod filters and exhaust and my output is 230rwkw luck of the draw i guess unless it was tuned up before it was imported but as far as i know thats stock for my car (that said there is a TOP SECRET tuning house sticker in the engine bay from japan). dont know how much harder you would want it to go but its my daily driver and i haven't been left behind yet.