SAU Community

Cleaning The Inside Of The Headlight

and3_3

Hey all,

There is lots of moisture in my passenger side headlight and its not evaporating.

I've tried looking around but cannot find any threads on how to access this part of the headlight.

Could someone help me or point me in the right direction?

Thanks guys

You'll need to pull the whole unit apart, i remember this happened with my Soarer.

I had to put it in the open to break the seals, you might as well do both at the same time, polish it and refurbish all the parts, should cost under $1oo, it just takes time.

I can access the soarer guide to doing it if you wish, it might get you started.

i read somwhere that the easiest way is to actually put the light in the oven :s it softens the bonding stuff easier but i guess the better way would be using a heat gun to soften it up. i really need to do mine. cleaned the outside and it helped but theres dirt n shit inside them from moisture.

i read somwhere that the easiest way is to actually put the light in the oven :s it softens the bonding stuff easier but i guess the better way would be using a heat gun to soften it up. i really need to do mine. cleaned the outside and it helped but theres dirt n shit inside them from moisture.

a real heat gun should be enough but if it isnt i would put the oven on something low like 250 for about 8 minutes. the guys do their honda ones all the time to make them look like "CTR" headlights.

before i pulled them apart though, i would highspeed buff the outside with some compound and a sponge pad, just like you would do a dulling paint suface. makes them look like new again.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

before you stick your light in the oven, I've done a fair bit of research on this because my right HL is crystal clear and my other is foggy as anything with condensation inside. 200 degrees is Fahrenheit so put it in at 90-100 degrees Celsius until its warm to the touch. Once you're all done whack it back in the oven to warm the glue and take it out and clamp it together for a while to guarantee the seal.

Remember to also put something in the oven under your light to prevent it from melting to the oven rack. Use hardwood timber or something like that.

I'll try the hair dryer tomorrow but i think the damage has been done. I've also read that silica packets (from shoe boxes) are good to draw the water out.