SAU Community

Non-turbo Supra To 32gts-t

Hey guys,

Just looking for a bit of input here. I own a 94' non-turbo Supra which I'm looking at selling to get something cheaper, with a greater scope for modification. Ideally, it'd be a TT Supra but it's just out of my price range and I wouldn't mind a bit of a change of pace.

Anyway, has anyone gone from a non-turbo Supra to a GTS-T (even a 33)? How did you find it? I'd expect a mildy modded 32 to really wipe the floor with a non-turbo Supra through the twisties and still give it a fair beating in a straight line, is this what you guys find?

What I'm looking for from a 32 is something around 10K with basic mods (cat back, fmic, boost), prepared to spend more if it's got a few more mods or is in great nick. The car will really be a weekender/hills car and I'd like to put down ~200rwkw reliably, eventually. Do you think I'd get what I'm looking for in a 32? I should mention I'm really trying to avoid a 33. Just don't like the looks or stigma around them. (No offense if you drive one.)

Also, any particular problems with reliability/running costs with the older Skylines?

Thanks.

PS. If anyone is interested in swaps + cash my way for my Supra, give me a shout! :P I'm in SA.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

Just looking for a bit of input here. I own a 94' non-turbo Supra which I'm looking at selling to get something cheaper, with a greater scope for modification. Ideally, it'd be a TT Supra but it's just out of my price range and I wouldn't mind a bit of a change of pace.

Anyway, has anyone gone from a non-turbo Supra to a GTS-T (even a 33)? How did you find it? I'd expect a mildy modded 32 to really wipe the floor with a non-turbo Supra through the twisties and still give it a fair beating in a straight line, is this what you guys find?

What I'm looking for from a 32 is something around 10K with basic mods (cat back, fmic, boost), prepared to spend more if it's got a few more mods or is in great nick. The car will really be a weekender/hills car and I'd like to put down ~200rwkw reliably, eventually. Do you think I'd get what I'm looking for in a 32? I should mention I'm really trying to avoid a 33. Just don't like the looks or stigma around them. (No offense if you drive one.)

Also, any particular problems with reliability/running costs with the older Skylines?

Thanks.

PS. If anyone is interested in swaps + cash my way for my Supra, give me a shout! :P I'm in SA.

hi there

i know how you feel.

i once owned a SZ-R non-turbo supra 1996'

it was a factory special model with the TT 6-speed Getrag gearbox & the Automatic aerodynamic spoiler lip that dropped down when the car hit 80km/h

it was OK at first, i got it when the first Fast and furious movie came out...that was the movie that made the car famous...everyone loved the car...

but the fun ended when WRX, 200sxs, 180sxs & v8s put me to shame....then i got depressed with it & felt ashamed of a "non-turbo".

the problem with the car is that its too heavy for the power output & torque.

then one day i lined up with a porche boxter, which I'm pretty sure back then was non-turbo 6cyl. it f**king beat me.............

that was the LAST straw!!!!!!!!!! i got rid of it.

then i purchased a 1997' RZ TT supra.

i immediately, cranked the boost, changed the Filter, exhaust and intercooler....replaced ECU.

the car ran like a dream! i got revenge on all the WRXs, 200sxs, 180sxs & v8s that once put me to shame!

but the fun ended there when a guy in a Hiace T-boned me at an intersection.

at least i got paid out by his insurance, i bought a house.........ten saved over the years..so now I'm gonna buy an R34 GT-R V-spec II when i find the right one.

anyways...my advice, don't bother with R32 GTS-T......a R33 GTS-T is the best bang for your bucks......

but make sure you put the priority of a TT supra before the R33 GTS-T.

u will not be disappointed in TT supra....to many its a better car than the GTR.......but then thats all speculation...

if you cant afford the TT supra yet.........then WAIT!................save up till you do .....rather than buying something that isn't the best and regretting it later.

hey mate,

while I dont like hearing people say they dont like the 33's, which surprisingly enough happens quite often

(guess they havent seen a really neat GTR version)... but me personally I dont really like the supra's looks to be honest... so to each his own :P

I think that eeiko321 is right.

really wait for the car you want. it will make the world of difference when you buy it and will be so much more appreciative of it... you have a functioning car now, that still looks good to you... just not enough balls....

might I add... they dont allow talk of illegal racing on here... so I hope your meaning on a drag strip ;) but imagine how much better you will feel when you beat the rest of the cars in your baby, the one you really wanted.

wait wait wait... I waited a year to find the right skyline.

gl with it!

Adam

hey mate,

while I dont like hearing people say they dont like the 33's, which surprisingly enough happens quite often

(guess they havent seen a really neat GTR version)... but me personally I dont really like the supra's looks to be honest... so to each his own ;)

really wait for the car you want. it will make the world of difference when you buy it and will be so much more appreciative of it... you have a functioning car now, that still looks good to you... just not enough balls....

might I add... they dont allow talk of illegal racing on here... so I hope your meaning on a drag strip :D but imagine how much better you will feel when you beat the rest of the cars in your baby, the one you really wanted.

gl with it!

Adam

Some more great advice. And yes, I'm only talking theoretical 0-100times and estimated lap times here. :P

Don't get me wrong, I still really respect a well kept 33, especially GTRs. I just would rather avoid owning one. No arguments that the Supras looks are love or hate, either.

I think I may have put my point across about a TT being the dream car a little strongly. I would love one, but not necessarily above a really well kept 32 putting out a butt load of power. I've done the Supra thing, I'm ready to move on I think. It wouldn't be a matter of compromise. I just see a 32 (or 180, s13) as being something of a more sensible option for me.

Thanks for the input so far, very thought provoking!

bah, you know your dream car, its ok to say it...... mine would be a highly modified 33 gtr :P which funnily enouh isnt that expensive...

but by the sounds of it you want some convincing to come to nissan's side?

mmmm... maybe have a look on youtube for skylines vs supras or just look up some modified 32 gtsts doing the strip or some drifts... I think that will convince you!

Adam

bah, you know your dream car, its ok to say it...... mine would be a highly modified 33 gtr :P which funnily enouh isnt that expensive...

but by the sounds of it you want some convincing to come to nissan's side?

mmmm... maybe have a look on youtube for skylines vs supras or just look up some modified 32 gtsts doing the strip or some drifts... I think that will convince you!

Adam

Haha. Yeah, perhaps. I dunno though, there's something not so glamorous about Supra ownership though. The idea of a bit of a drift pig appeals after having to be so meticulous with paintwork and constantly worrying about where you park the car. Think I'd just like to try something different. After all, I do highly regard all the 90's Jap coupes.

A BPU TT Supra really is completely out of the price range though, at least the rest of my uni years anyway, so I think its a prime oppurtunity to try something else. Guess there's nothing for it but to go check out a few 32s and take it from there.

Don't you worry, I've been scrolling youtube perfusely. ;)

hey mate,

(guess they havent seen a really neat GTR version)... but me personally I dont really like the supra's looks to be honest... so to each his own :D

might I add... they dont allow talk of illegal racing on here... so I hope your meaning on a drag strip :) but imagine how much better you will feel when you beat the rest of the cars in your baby, the one you really wanted.

gl with it!

Adam

yo

to be honest, i dont hate R33.......

i just dont like R32 GTS or R33/R32 GTS-T or R33 GTS25-t or even R34 GT-T

to me they feel cheap. but thats just my opinion.

i probbaly upset people by saying that, but to me...i just feel GT-R is a totally different car than GTS-T/GT-T

i love GT-Rs with a complete PASSION!

all the way from R32 - R35

to me....GT-R is gods GIFT to man...........

yo

to be honest, i dont hate R33.......

i just dont like R32 GTS or R33/R32 GTS-T or R33 GTS25-t or even R34 GT-T

to me they feel cheap. but thats just my opinion.

i probbaly upset people by saying that, but to me...i just feel GT-R is a totally different car than GTS-T/GT-T

i love GT-Rs with a complete PASSION!

all the way from R32 - R35

to me....GT-R is gods GIFT to man...........

Would that happen to be because they are much cheaper cars then the GTR? just maybe?

Is it maybe the fact you really dont wanna be grouped with all those tools who only went out and bought Supra's because of the Fast and Furious movie? I wouldnt want to be grouped with those guys either. Supras have that Stigmas about them now and so do some lancers thanks to Paul walker and his crew. Please god let the new Fast and Furious movie screw up skylines for all of us.

Would that happen to be because they are much cheaper cars then the GTR? just maybe?

nope, to me

the GTR is a totally different car!

different: Turbos, Intercooler, engine, gearbox, drivetrain, interior, exterior, wheels & most of all... DIFFERENT performance!!!

i hate it when people imitate the GTR with their GTS-t by sticking on fake badges & putting GTR exterior parts.

its just like a tacky lancer with fake evo products.... is the standard lancer anything like the EVO? NO! the only thing thats lancer about the evo is just the name "Lancer"

same goes for fake clubsports....fake BMW M3s....

I'm just really glad this day that Nissan decided to split the name "Skyline" from GT-R...and made Skylines into the Infinity, V & G series 35s.......

and the GT-R just "Nissan GT-R" or "Nissan R35 GT-R".

apparently Nissan decided to change the name due to the GTR is not sharing the same Chassis as the V & G series. (thank god for that!!! :D )

anyhow thats just my personal opinion....theres no wrong or right on personal preferance.....

yeah on that same note, lancer is nothing like a 'line

i personally find nothing wrong with putting GT-R parts on a lower model if it looks better.

however, a 33 GT-R like that one from Race Pace would be awesome.

garage saurus parts ftw!

yeah on that same note, lancer is nothing like a 'line

i personally find nothing wrong with putting GT-R parts on a lower model if it looks better.

however, a 33 GT-R like that one from Race Pace would be awesome.

garage saurus parts ftw!

well true to some extent......like a 1994 Skyline GTS-25t stock exterior looks horrific!

but its wrong to stick GT-R badges on.

as you can see with the R34...its alot harder to imitate, due to different bonnet and grill.

slightly different headlights as well......

thats why you dont see many cheap imitation GT-Ts out there.....

Not to slag out Supras, a mate of mine owns one. Having driven a mates 97 SZ-R 6 Speed n/a Supra and having owned an R33 GTST, Stock for stock the 33 leaves it for dead all day every day. The R32 being lighter with similar power output but less torque than the Supra would be on par with the JZA80 but would handle better. I went into driving my mates Supra with great expectations and left with great disappointment, it felt torquey but if felt like something was lacking in the top end, It looked like I was driving a sports car - but I felt I was driving a Falcon XR6 or Commodore S! (same power to weight ratio) If it went as well as it looked it'd beat a Ferrari! My stock 240k old 1991 MR2 used to hold the JZA80 off in a straight line

Dont discount the R33 GTST as well you will get better gains from modding an RB25DET over the RB20DET, unless you plan to put one in an R32! If u want handling go the R32, you want power go the 33.

You talk about the stigma of owning a 33. What about the stigma of owning a Supra?