SAU Community

Who is able to get me a discount on HU?

MRK25T

My double din cd/md/tuner is on the way out, so i'm after a head unit to replace it. Apparently it was an expensive $2k unit when new (probably about 3 or so year old now).

I have splits at my place somewhere for the front, and 6" (or whatever size) for the rear.

I dont plan on having a sub in the boot again so no need for fancy features i'll never use. Something that costs less than $500.

I'm after a lower end of the market mp3 (single din) head unit and have been quoted $499 for a JVC KD-SX995 and $379 for the JVC KD-S895 from a local car audio place.

Recommendations on what to get or places to shop will be helpful.

Mark

Hi MRK25T,

I have a http://www.soundmaster.com.au/DEH3550.htm.

These guys will install it for $399 whereas I paid $380 from MOTOQUIPE in Hornsby and put it in myself. Plays MP3's really well. Buttons on the right, UP/DOWN scrolls thru folders and LEFT/RIGHT thru tracks in the folders.

My only gripe is that when FFWDing or RVRSing, it stutters.

Hornsby has one on display so you can check it out.

Good luck!

Birnie

Thanks for the help Birnie and deorbit.

I knew the place I went to for the quote was not going to be the cheapest... You were able to knock off $100 (1/5 of the price) from what I was quoted.

What is e-bay like with car radios? worth having a look?

Mark

MRK25T - I went and had a quick squizz at some HU's for my car the other day because I've finally decided to replace my dead stacker/dying tape Sony combo (it's only been 3 years...).

I was shown an Alpine CDA-9807, and compared it to Pioneer and Panasonic HU's (all with MP3, but can't remember the model numbers, although they were all within $50 of each other), and the Alpine blew them both away for clarity. I went back again the other day just to make sure the EQ's were all set flat, and they were. It's costing me $549 (plus the $50 for fitting), so it's up to you if you want to stretch the extra $50 or so, but I thought it was worth it. I'll probably carry the deck over when I buy my next wheels (if ever).

This was at Lifestyle Store in Parramatta, but JB Hi-Fi always have good deals too. Might be worth the hike over to this side of town...

Nick T

Thanks for the advice goldZilla. dont be fooled by my location information - I've since moved out with my GF and live relatively close to Parramatta.

Do you think any of the stores will be open on Sunday? (I might be able to make it late Saturday after work too).

Do all MP3 units allow you to navigate the same way? or are there different styles from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Mark

NOOOOOOOooooooooooo - don't tell me that!!!

I'm gonna ring Albert's tomorrow, and if it's true I'm gonna go in there tomorrow and have a big whinge!!!

Both Lifestyle Store and JB Hi-Fi are open on Sundays, and JB is open till 9pm during the week...

If you want a better deal than retailers can offer, go straight to the importer. www.hagemeyer.com.au will have the contact details for Hagemeyer Australia - agents for JVC. They sell "repacks" which are mainly last years stock (still new) at silly, silly prices. Give them a call & you'll see what I mean.

Thats what I wanted to hear BigDatto, I dont care if its last years stock - they all sound basicly the same to me.

I'll give that place a call and report back here about the JVC mp3 hu prices after lunch.

Nick, did you give Alberts a call yet? what did they say?

Mark

Hi Mark,

was the unit you were quoted on a new item or a repack ?

Only reason I ask is that unless you mention the word "repack" you might be getting quoted a higher price than they can offer.

Just out of curiosity....