SAU Community

Pc Setup - Chat Thread

R31Nismoid

WDS lol.

Is Ghost still around? prob be your best bet for consumer stuff, but in this day of high speed broadband I'm too lazy to create a base image (that and its usually getting new hardware anyway that necessitates it).

Only a complete noob would still be running 7200rpm disks in this brave new SSD world. Could not believe the speed difference between RAID 0 Velociraptors and my SATA 2 Samsung OEM SSD.

• 3 weeks later...

My Gaming Rig:

i7 980 CPU

CoolerMaster HAF X Case

XSPC Rasa 750 Water Cooler

ASUS RAMPAGE Extreme III Black Edition Motherboard

ASUS 27inch LED Widescreen Monitor

Gainward Phantom 580GTX 3GB SLi

Corsair AX1200 Gold PSU

Corsair Force Series GT 120GIG SSD

Corsair 12GIG Dominator GT Kit

Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB 64MB

Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

Razer Mamba Mouse

Logitech G19 Keyboard

Logitech Gamepad F710

LG Blu-Ray Drive

Sony Disc Drive x2

• 2 weeks later...

Just replaced my Sammy 2443BW with a S27A750D

173628259_SamsungS23A750DS27A750D.jpg

It's got 120hz and 3D with active glasses (1920x1080)

I gotta say, 120hz is freaking awesome! The difference it makes in FPS games is huge, everything just looks.. buttery.

I've had a play around with the 3D, and it's definitely cool, but I'm not entirely sold. It makes aiming in FPS games very hard. GTA4 was amazing, but I had to turn the graphics down a fair bit to make it playable. Might have to invest in a second GTX670 down the track ;)

I would recommend this monitor to anyone, with two caveats- it's still a large monitor with a 1080p output, so it's not the sharpest thing in the world, and secondly that you really need a bit of graphical horsepower to make it worthwhile.

• 3 weeks later...

I understand different meaninngs.

Got a bit carried away intel is a more efficent

chips etc but amd is bang for buck and helped

to drastically reduce my build price. 2 years later

my phenom is still relevant. Handles the latest games

couldnt justify the intels price atm.

pfft AMD ftw, cheaper and provides similiar and on par performance to costly intel processors.

No, just no. They certainly used to match Intel, dollar for dollar in performance stakes and even bettered Intel in some cases, but not anymore. AMD have dropped the ball on their processor range.

And really, I was just rib poking. TBH I'm not a CPU snob. While I can't see me buying AMD anytime soon (dollar/performance proposition doesn't add up IMO), if AMD works for you, so be it.

I understand different meaninngs.

Got a bit carried away intel is a more efficent

chips etc but amd is bang for buck and helped

to drastically reduce my build price. 2 years later

my phenom is still relevant. Handles the latest games

couldnt justify the intels price atm.

Yet my old C2D E8400 clocked to 4.2ghz, 4 years old, still relatively fine with most games. It only struggled on CPU intensive game moments and would go back to perfect soon as that passed.

Realistically AMD have no other market than the "value" one to be in given their performance.

It's actually quite a shame AMD have dropped the ball so much as Intel really have no competition in the desktop/workstation space.

The server work space is a different kettle of fish however with Ivy Bridge the power savings are even greater so it really does put even more heat on.

That all said Intel will run into problems with their Tick-Tock process when they get past 14nm, it's really going to get tough but that is a few years away yet

cowboy1600: how's dat dere Catleap going for ya?

Nice case Aljo, can't say I'm tempted with the $$$ of the Lian Lis though!

Also how does using a tv go for you, i always thought it would give severe eyestrain if used like a conventional monitor. Have you considered a Samsung or el cheapo korean 1440p 27?

I'd also read that there is no point in striping SSDs as you lose TRIM functionality (a mate has a very similar setup to yours albeit with a GTX670), does ATTO / Crystal Disk Mark show big increases in performance? I've seen with the RevoDrives, that whilst having amazing read writes / IOPS, they boot slower than even my lil ol sata 2 Samsung OEM SSD.

You could always go to 3 or 4tb drives btw

Also how does using a tv go for you, i always thought it would give severe eyestrain if used like a conventional monitor. Have you considered a Samsung or el cheapo korean 1440p 27?

I'd also read that there is no point in striping SSDs as you lose TRIM functionality (a mate has a very similar setup to yours albeit with a GTX670), does ATTO / Crystal Disk Mark show big increases in performance? I've seen with the RevoDrives, that whilst having amazing read writes / IOPS, they boot slower than even my lil ol sata 2 Samsung OEM SSD.

$97 for that case no PSU though oh I forgot to put PSU in Corsair HX850 v2 850W

HD 1080P TV so resolution is good for a big panel dot pitch is ok not perfect but ok.

I have a 23" HP 2311f and a Samsung SyncMaster 226BW as my extended displays the 42" is being used for a bit of a difference most likely go back to being a tv soon. I am a huge Samsung fanboy. I am not an el cheapo kind of person if I pay money it needs to be high end if not the best.

Yes, I have to say I have not noticed any speed increase with the them in raid and possibly may have taken a hit on the slower side I will be switching to a single 2 drive config 1 for OS other for gaming will prob do it when I move over to win 8 as I just built this system and was OCing and tweaking and wanted to do that on a 100% stable OS. I never take a persons word over anything, I hear the advise weigh up the pros and cons to seeing it for myself and more often than not I see if I can tweak or mod it to work before I come to agree with their advise. The Intel SSD drives I own are the fastest drives I have ever owned and I used to run 4 raptor drives in raid 0 but I have not compared them against many other drives as they were also bought for the 5 year warranty. I will do some benches before I go back to single drive setup to have a comparison. If I find the time.

Yeah I base my server data HDD purchase on $ / MB and the 2TB were the thing and the extra 2TB I have I will use in some second hand systems I have yet to build so no waste on them. I use Drive Bender to have the drive be a one drive pool without the risk of a raid setup. Very good piece of software.

Brilliant.

Still flawless and still impresses the shit out of me everytime I use it.

And you're right on the RAID of SSDs. Total waste of time. Not only do you lose TRIM, but at the end of the day there are other parts of your PC which are going to bottleneck 1Gb/s sequential read/write speeds. Even half that in random read/write is going to go to waste.

Edited by Cowboy1600

I use Drive Bender to have the drive be a one drive pool without the risk of a raid setup. Very good piece of software.

Reduce the risk of what? RAID0/1 is the only thing that really carries risk.

The whole point of RAID5 etc is the redundancy.

I

Hi all I am new to the forum and new proud owner of a 1990 R32 GTS4T RB20DET 4 Door but I am a long time gamer, PC enthusiast, Tech, IT consultant and all round techno geek.

Here is my rig setup/specs

Lian Li LanCool PC-K60 Black Case

Asus Sabertooth X79 Mobo

Intel Core i7 3930K with Corsair H80 watercooling and Noctua fans throughout OC'd to 4444MHz just on multiplier 44 & Bclk 101MHz will push further when I have time to waste

Take your pick Kingston HyperX 2133MHz DDR3 XMP 4x4GB (2 x 2x4GB Kits) watercooling kits or Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz DDR3 4x4GB

42" Samsung LCD TV HDMI connected 1920x1080 resolution. I want the Asus PB287Q 2560x1440 WQHD LED monitor when it comes out.

Gigabyte ATI HD7950 3GB GDDR5

2 x Intel 520S 240GB SATA3 SSD in raid 0 config and 1.5TB Seagate as backup and storage drive

Win7 Ultimate x64

Razer Nostromo, Nargunium notebook sized keyboard,Logitech MX518 mouse

I have 8x2TB drives - 4 Hatachis and 4 Seagates but only using 5 of them atm in my media server need to buy expansion SATA3 PCIE x1 card for the rest but no need of them yet 4TB free space on current setup.

I have returned the SSD's to single mode as I couldn't notice any speed improvements and wasn't happy with loosing TRIM I have 1 for OS and the other for games.

I also over clocked a little more without increasing the voltage 100% stable. CPU-4501.09=102.3x44 MEM-1909.8MHz 9-10-9-27-2T (timings could get a little tighter just needs extra time to test) bench tests return better results on some tests with MEM @ 2133 stock timings so will look at tweaking timings at 2133MHz and see how that goes. But I need to game a little and post here on the forum (actually use the system, hehe)