SAU Community

Pc Setup - Chat Thread

R31Nismoid

Manage to swap my 4 month old 1/2 dying WD green drive for a new one at MSY.

Whole process went much smoother than I originally thought, after all the "MSY refund horror stories" I kept on hearing, got me all prepared for the possibility of a lengthy argument for nothing.

Just walked in with the drive, told them the problem & they just offered to replace it on the spot without even bother to test it or anything.

Now I just need to buy some external drives to back up my 1.5 TB anime collection.

• 3 weeks later...

i have found that the windforce cards aren't much chop for SLI, was awesome when I had 1x GTX 460 though.

Might go MSI for the 670, only because they always seem to clock a bit harder than the Gigabyte for much the same price, but time will tell.

whats the performance like from the 6950 to the 670? can you notice it in actual gameplay?

Looking to upgrade my 5870 but still maxing out games. Buy now or wait one more round of cards?

• 1 month later...

CORRECT!

Start from a fresh install, clean it up, install all the apps you want and configure it all - Then image that. I always remove a bucket load of stuff from Windows that I don't want, different for other users perhaps.

Then it'll always be clean every time you ship it over (do it once every 6 months, you'd be surprised how much improvement it can make).

I guess i was more interested if that was a good price and quality SDD and big enough size?

sorry - could have worded it better.

But yes, idea was to copy data off that I want to keep - download all of the apps I need to a external drive, reinstall errytinks then use all of the 1tb OS drive for storage.

Jas I thought it was ok and bought 1 as well Intel have a very good reputation for fast SSD and for that they put a premium on their drives

I will be coming from a 64gb patriot pyro as my is drive I'm sure I paid about $125 for it

But due to the install size of windows 7 64bit and few other programs I couldn't keep bf3 on it, this will cure what ails me ;)

I've higlighted sustained in the intel stats, the Kingston says 535 but that is proberly burst either was both would be good upgrade options over a platter HDD

Intel

Technical Specifications (330 Series):

• Model Name: Intel® Solid-State Drive 330 Series
  • Capacity: 120GB
  • NAND Flash Memory 25nm Intel NAND Flash Memory Multi-Level Cell (MLC)
  • Sustained Sequential Reads up to: 500 MB/s
  • Sustained Sequential Writes up to: 450 MB/s
  • Random I/O Operations per
  • Second (4KB IOPS)
  • Reads up to: 22,500 IOPS
  • Writes up to: 33,000 IOPS
  • Interface SATA 6Gb/s, compatible with SATA 3Gb/s
  • Form Factor, Height and Weight
  • Form Factor Height / Weight
  • 2.5 inch 9.5mm / up to 80 grams
  • Life Expectancy: 1.2 million hours Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF)
  • Power Consumption Active: 850 mW Typical
  • Power Consumption Idle: 600 mW Typical
  • Operating Temperature 0°C to 70°C

Kingston

Product Specifications

Form factor: 2.5"

Interface: SATA Rev 3.0 (6Gb/s) , SATA Rev 2.0 (3Gb/s)

Sequential reads

SATA Rev. 3.0: 535MB/s

SATA Rev. 2.0: 280MB/s

Sustained Random 4k Read/Write

60GB: 12,000/47,000 IOPS

90GB: 20,000/47,000 IOPS

120GB: 20,000/44,000 IOPS

240GB: 36,000/43,000 IOPS

480GB: 43,000/30,000 IOPS

Max Random 4k Read/Write

60GB: 85,000/60,000 IOPS

90GB: 85,000/57,000 IOPS