SAU Community

Pc Setup - Chat Thread

R31Nismoid

in that socket 1155 they make i5 and i7 to suit

also the i7 has 2mb more cache and 100mhz faster i have just done a simple OC and im pushing 4ghz on the 1333 sniper ram more than enough to play BF3 once they polish the game more i should get a few more frames

ati cards always have driver / game issues, which is why I avoid and don't reccomend them to people (apart for use in HTPC or other non gaming).

TBH if you're sticking with 7200rpm drives in a new build you should damn well make sure that you're buying the fastest one with the most cache etc you can afford. Got me stumped how people are willing to lash out on processors etc but leave their drives as the bottleneck! (unless your budget really is that tight)

EDIT: furthermore to this, we are starting to exclusively rollout Vertex 2 spec SSDs in the next batches of workstations we are getting at work because it's become THAT much of a bottleneck.

Edited by bozodos

Hmmm i have run ATi since my 9800pro i danced with the devil for 4days while owning a 6800gtx but it didn't perform as good as the top ATi back then if i recall was the x800xt pe i ended up with a x850xt pe 1gb and was very happy i have always been happy with the cards games and anything i throw it it

i don't really OC my gfx cards or my systems by much

had a lot of bad times with my 4830 all driver related, did overclock the shit out of it in the end though hahaha.

Catalyst always seems to break shit; we run ATi in our Dell Optiplex fleet due to there being a lack of a Nvidia option, and the only issues we have are again drivers. Kinda fanboyish I know, but I've never had a problem with compatability from owning a TNT2 onwards with Nvidia cards.

yeah i had a TNT2 that was great i hod the old pci version when AGP just came out used to play sof2 with it and get all of 20fps

i keep my drivers updated too

and i don't always buy games when they're at there peak price

i may preorder bf3 however

So I'm going to get a i7 2600k along with a Z68 mobo of some kind just wondering what is a good aftermarket cooler for it?

I currently have a Zalman for my Q6600, seem to work fine.

Also what is currently the best bang for buck SSD out? Looking at the $250 - $350 mark. Only need 60Gb or so as it is only to be a OS drive. I'm getting a 600GB raptor for my games & all my old HDDs will carry over as storage drives.

My current gen 1 SSD is starting to die I think (randomly windows will freeze up & upon reboot, windows disk checker will pick up & fix some random corrupted files on the main OS drive).

SNIP

mobo: gigabyte Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 $139 (you will want to know how many slots you want to use if using dual gfx you may loose the other pcie slot)

CPU: i7 2600 $285

Snip

i5 2500k will be more than enough for your intended purpose

I wouldnt bother with a locked 2600, an overclocked 2500k will surpass it with ease, as well as being about $75 cheaper.

With the money you save you can also get yourself a decent CPU cooler, or spend more on a GFX card :)

4.2ghz here with a 2500k and stock cooler :)

Main benefit of i7 is multiple threads per core but they don't really come into play with games (yet)

i am currently running 4.3ghz stock cooler and have read people getting 4.6ghz on a Coolmaster 212+ heatsink and fan combo

i can get 8.9sec in super pi 1.6 and just idling i get about 40deg and about 70 on 100% load

would be interested to see your superPI score so clean