SAU Community

Pc Setup - Chat Thread

R31Nismoid

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my awesome mate doyl gave me his Q6600 because his motherboard died, I stuck a TRUE 120 on it and overclocked it to 3.2ghz. It's so much faster now that I'm not even going to bother upgrading (for now)!

Damn straight!

It's ok though, my new chip poos all over the 6600.

Currently sitting on 4022mhz ;)

^^ what chip and is that air

i have had my Q6600 @ 3.4 on air but during the middle of summer my computer room gets too hot and my computer does random restarts

what can the i7 2600's get up too 1155 socket

^^ what chip and is that air

i have had my Q6600 @ 3.4 on air but during the middle of summer my computer room gets too hot and my computer does random restarts

Q6600 on 3.2 was air with this http://www.overclock...p_se14_review/4

New chip is an i7 960 using an H70 to cool it. Kind of underwhelming really.

Want to get a proper water cooling setup again :P

As for the 2600 - 2600k thing, yes, an unlocked multiplier.

Apparently most overclocking is locked on the non-K chips, so if you want to overclock, best bet will be the 2500K or 2600K.

And yeah, they overclock like nothing else.

Edited by doyl

2600k have been doing 4.5ghz on air.

If you had a hotter room etc, just lap the CPU head and you'll get a few degrees out of it. I managed to drop 7 degrees lapping my E8400 - which has run @ 4.1-4.2ghz 24x7 on air for 3-4 years or so :)

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/Feature/135165,atomic-guide-to-cpu-lapping.aspx/1

Mine took me about 2 hours whilst i was watching TV.

If i actually paid attention im sure i could cut that time in half :)

A CPU heatsink is never perfectly flat as you'll see in the guide. You also use less thermal paste as a result after 'lapping'

But ye, i picked up a good 7 degree drop. Pretty impressive for a couple hours work. One of the best value modifications really if you intend to overclock as all it takes it about $10 and 2hrs. Some CPU's might get more, some might get less. All depends on how covex your CPU lid is from the manufacturer. My E8400 was TERRIBLE.

lol fark lapping it! maybe if it was really bad, but ive only seen 1-2 deg decreases, so not really worth it IMO.

Can't wait to set up my new i5 2500 workstation w/ Vertex 3 in the next week or so, shit is going to be SO cash!

yeah i don't think i will be going through that process

makes your CPU look shit house and if you do have to send it back for warranty er yeah good luck with that

yeah i don't think i will be going through that process

makes your CPU look shit house and if you do have to send it back for warranty er yeah good luck with that

You fry it due to OC, don't even bother with warranty attempt :P