SAU Community

Pc Setup - Chat Thread

R31Nismoid

haha Ash, thats why I found people buying SSD's and putting games on spindle drives to be complete idiots!!

one of my workmates got an OCZ Ibis drive today with the propietary interface (uses a seperate PCI-E card which is included), initial results look quite promising, loaded Win7 Ent x64 even quicker than striped Velociraptors or a Vertex 2!

That said, it's still 800 bucks on a freaking drive!

• 2 weeks later...

I think my SSD is starting to die, windows would freeze up randomly during start up & the HDD active light on my case will be permantly on & its not my other drives since it has no noise.

It is one of the 1st gen SSDs without TRIM support that I had for about 3 or so years.

FML I can't afford another one atm after I just below tons of $$$ on fixing up the car's cooling system... :(

• 2 weeks later...

So. Gonna upgrade soon:

Core i5 2500K (not overclocking though)

GA-P67X-UD3R

8Gb RAM (prolly some decent Corsair 1600mhz) (2x4Gb)

Asus CU II 570. Was looking at the 6970 but I'm swinging back to the CU II.

Currently running C2D E8500 + 4870 512Mb, and it's pretty fine for almost everything I throw at it. Running TRUE on the CPU to keep it cool and QUIET, and the TRAD2 on the 4870 (plus 2x 92mm fans, again, cool and quiet). Biggest thing is quiet. If anyone can suggest why a 6970 will be quieter and cooler than a 570 I'll listen :)

Suggestions? Don't wanna blow the bank, got major service on the liner to do. Got all the HDDs I need, etc.

So. Gonna upgrade soon:

GA-P67X-UD3R

Currently running C2D E8500 + 4870 512Mb, and it's pretty fine for almost everything I throw at it. Running TRUE on the CPU to keep it cool and QUIET, and the TRAD2 on the 4870 (plus 2x 92mm fans, again, cool and quiet). Biggest thing is quiet. If anyone can suggest why a 6970 will be quieter and cooler than a 570 I'll listen :)

Suggestions? Don't wanna blow the bank, got major service on the liner to do. Got all the HDDs I need, etc.

Pretty similar setup you are running to what i have. Except i have a 5850 TopCU - it still makes mince meat of all games.

I'd suggest holding out to be honest. The next update to architecture is due in 6 months or so

i5 will also be dead not soon after that if memory serves me correct and hence you'd be better off going i7 2600k if you wanted to update, least you have an upgrade path.

So. Gonna upgrade soon:

GA-P67X-UD3R

Don't get p67. Z68 is about to come out. (I already have one as some stores are already supplying). So I'd get a ga-z68x-ud3r.

And go i7 2600 if u like however if your REALLY penny PINCHING go i5 2500. Either way both sandy bridges use 1155 socket.

But for the minor extra cost. U can get the 2600k and just up multiplier to 40-45x. Done. Safe OC. 30% increase in performance.

I personally would wait for next gen of cards. Gtx590 and 6990 are the end of this gen if you follow previous gens framework. (dual gpu, single slot have been end of gen usually)

Ram is fine. 8th more than enough. 1600. Get something at 1.5v if you can. Not too vital.

Would you consider a small SSd just for windows etc? Really speeds things up lol.

What PSU u gonna use?

Also I personally wouldnt wait for the next architecture change. The VERY next change is to IVY BRIDGE. Wich still uses 1155 socket. So no point waiting.

Next socket change is LGA2011 (as it's called so far. Might change) but it will be same price point as the 980x etc are now. Be prepared to pay alot more. 1000$ etc.

Edited by ShiftyTys

z68 is only useful if you are going to use Quick Sync. Were I to upgrade (happy with the i5 I have, ill just overclock for now), I'd be all over P67 + NF200 (for teh SLI)

Small SSD + data on spindle drives are impractical and self defeating for gaming for obvious reasons. I'd be inclined to get a 240 gig SSD if anything other than Raptors.

There is no real reason to go for a 2600 if you're gaming and not running a bunch of multithreaded workstation apps (hyperthreading being the main difference); the price / performance ratio drops right off between the 2500 and the 2600 (2600 is still great value though!) Don't bother with a multiplier unlocked CPU if not overclocking though lol.

The dual GPU cards are a waste of time and for those who are scared of SLI which is faster for the same price or at times even less. I haven't had any issues at all with mine, despite a lot of naysayers still being convinced things still are like they were during the time of the 8xxx series.

AFAIK, LGA2011 will be the uber expensive 'enthusiast' chipset and processors (given Intel's usual "tick tock" product releases). Overpriced to the max.

Go for more RAM speed over latency (I'm a Gskill fan myself), most people I know myself included are running 8 gig these days.

z68 is only useful if you are going to use Quick Sync. Were I to upgrade (happy with the i5 I have, ill just overclock for now), I'd be all over P67 + NF200 (for teh SLI)

Small SSD + data on spindle drives are impractical and self defeating for gaming for obvious reasons. I'd be inclined to get a 240 gig SSD if anything other than Raptors.

There is no real reason to go for a 2600 if you're gaming and not running a bunch of multithreaded workstation apps (hyperthreading being the main difference); the price / performance ratio drops right off between the 2500 and the 2600 (2600 is still great value though!) Don't bother with a multiplier unlocked CPU if not overclocking though lol.

The dual GPU cards are a waste of time and for those who are scared of SLI which is faster for the same price or at times even less. I haven't had any issues at all with mine, despite a lot of naysayers still being convinced things still are like they were during the time of the 8xxx series.

AFAIK, LGA2011 will be the uber expensive 'enthusiast' chipset and processors (given Intel's usual "tick tock" product releases). Overpriced to the max.

Go for more RAM speed over latency (I'm a Gskill fan myself), most people I know myself included are running 8 gig these days.

z68 is out. And has more features. SSd caching efi bios unlocked overclocking FSB overclocking. AND heaps of stability improvements over p67 (I know because I went through 4 p67 gigabyte boards that ALL had power cycling on boot and reset issues.

While waiting for my RMA to come through. Again. Z68 came out. So far. Zero issues.

I won't use SSd caching or prob even the efi bios. But it seems silly to me you would buy something gigabyte isn't even making anymore. and that other manufacturers also had heaps of issues on (asus had random bsod) esspecially at the same price.

Edited by ShiftyTys

Was looking at Antec Truepower 750W. Running a Basiq 550 at the moment; always had a good run with Antec.

Was half-toying with a 60Gb Vertex 2 just for OS and applications; I'll install all my games and shit on my 2Tb WD Black. I won't be overclocking; I just wanna put it in the case, have it run, and be cool and quiet (hence the extra ~250 on cooling for GPU and CPU currently in my PC), but the 2500K is $10 more than the 2500 so meh.

Image below for what I was thinking (PCCaseGear):

AwWoH.png

Hadn't 100% decided on RAM yet, not too fussed even if I get 1600. ~$150 for 2x4Gb sounds about right.

Plans might actually be going on back shelf at the mo; working out what's more important, new PC when mine works fine enough, or trip to Europe with the missus and her not having the shits with me. Sliding towards the second... Not like I have all the time in the world to game anymore :(

You dont need a 750w PSU for that GPU or setup IMO.

Get a Corsair HX650 or similar. No need for bigger PSU and you wanna aim for the sweet spot anyway.

I've used Corsairs in all my builds and my own runs a 650 and has 24x7 for 3.5 years now almost :)

Are those Corsairs modular? That's my biggest tick in the box; Got an Antec P180 case, and thoroughly enjoying using as little cabling as possible :P

EDIT::

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_354&products_id=12918

oh goodie, modular!

And yeah, I knew 750 was a bit over the top... Apparently I'll be fine with the 550 but I'll keep it with the older components and make it a spare box :)

http://www.antec.outervision.com/

I run SLI and 4 drives on a 700w lol, though I'll likely up it to an 850 just to be on the safe side

I got an 850 to be safe lol. Hx850 modular corsair.

Running 2tb caviar black. 2 tb samsung, 1tb WD, 120gb SSd. gtx285 (takes 2x6 pins for power). Bluray rom/DVD burner. And an OC CPU.

Oh yeh. Running 3 x 23cm fans and a 12cm fan. And both massive fans (12cm and 14cm) for my CPU cooler. Love my HAF932 and Noctua d14. :)

But yeah. I wanted to be completely safe and future system proof so I went the 850. Plus I was overclocking so I'd rather be safe. Too many issues caused by a shonky psu.

Hmm, Why not,

Case: Lian Li X-900

Motherboard: MSI P67 Big Bang Marshal B3

CPU & CPU Cooler: i5 2500K @ 4Ghz, Cooled with a CM V6GT

RAM: 8GB Corsair Dominator GT

Monitor: 2 x dell U3011, Mmmm Dual 30" goodness

Graphics Card: 2 x Gainward GTX 580

HDD(s): Corsair Force Series 120GB + 18TB on my server

OS Used: Windows 7 Ultimate

Peripherals: : Logitech G15 & G9x

Cost me a good 6ish K, wishing I had saved it up for the car (Didn't have it at the time) :angry:

I think it's time to sell it off.

EDIT: Like k1netic I know a LOT more about PC's then cars, didn't know this place had a PC section lol.

That's not alot of pc for 6k lol. I'm assuming a good 4k went towards the 2 monitors and 18tb worth of storage lol.

That's not alot of pc for 6k lol. I'm assuming a good 4k went towards the 2 monitors and 18tb worth of storage lol.

Monitors cost about 2.6K alone and another 1.3K for the 2 x 580's, that's pretty much where all the money went too. :thumbsup:

Already had the 18TB worth of HDD's, have been building it up over the past year.

Edited by Converge

Monitors cost about 2.6K alone and another 1.3K for the 2 x 580's, that's pretty much where all the money went too. :thumbsup:

Already had the 18TB worth of HDD's, have been building it up over the past year.

Lol. Nice. Bloody expensive monitors :O

There expensive cause by themselves they do like a 2560xcrazy resolution

EDIT

30" (76cm) display with 2560x1600 resolution and 16:10 aspect ratio for clear images and exceptional multitasking

Source