SAU Community

Pc Setup - Chat Thread

R31Nismoid

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a MSI ATI Radeon 5550, a SATA 2 PCI Express Adapter to chuck the old HDD and DVD ROM on, and a 60gb Corsair Force SSD for work.

IT is taking forever to get me a faster PC so I'm just gonna use the marketing department expenditures account to upgrade the PC. This will be all stealth so as far as they're concerned it's still the same PC, but I'll just be running the OS and apps off SSD :D Should make things a fair bit faster hopefully.

doubt you're going to see dramatic speed improvements on a 60gb SSD tbh

compared to 5400rpm HDD thats 2 years old running at a max throughput of 500Mbips? lol u sure?

It's more about the load time of apps for me anyway. That plus moving the video to a dedicated card instead of shared RAM used by onboard should make a huge difference.

lol not like its my money anyway :P

lol what kind of shite do you use at work?!

was thinking moreso that for the price of a low end arse 60gb SSD and looow end video card that you could get some fairly decent stuff for not much more $$$!

5400rpm HDD what are you using, a fkn laptop!?

ye several of the guys at work have put Ibis / Vertex 3 / Revodrives in their games rigs, I like those, but spending 650 odd dollars on 240gb of storage is too much for me when i could be spending it on my car!

the only other real use for them I can see is as a replacement for laptop hard drives

lol what kind of shite do you use at work?!

was thinking moreso that for the price of a low end arse 60gb SSD and looow end video card that you could get some fairly decent stuff for not much more $$$!

5400rpm HDD what are you using, a fkn laptop!?

corporate machines yo. I have a Mac Pro for my app and web development, but I still have an oldish PC for testing and PC related stuffs... like email and all that.

Picked up a Corsair 800D and have some measuring and what not to do before deciding what sort of cooling will go in it. Then migrate my system to it, add some HDDs, maybe a 980x if I feel stupid.

Massive case, should fit everything.

righto, looking at upgrading the server case before summer hits again. currently running a thermaltake M9D.

i was looking at the lan li TYR PC-X2000B. but after killing 2HDD and 2 GPU's from heat. i need something that has good cooling properties.

at the moment there is a 40mm fan under each HDD for cooling ( 5.25 bay with a bracket) so i'm after something that has ~10x 5.25 drive bays to have enough room for the fan setup's.

suggestions?

haha, i would of loved to get my hands on the Thermaltake Xpressar RSC100. but it had pretty piss poor cooling from the reviews that i read.

if i could still get the thermaltake SwordM with LCS. i would. but they are hard to find these days :(

(i like thermaltake stuff :turned: )

Just did a quick test, copied a 1GB file between my two SSD's. Took about 5 seconds :thumbsup:

post-24834-0-00831800-1306308927_thumb.j

My 5TB RAID5 array does arond 150mb/s - SSD's can blow me ATM.

Still not decently priced and SI/SII SSD's are no good unless you have 120gb min :(

My 5TB RAID5 array does arond 150mb/s - SSD's can blow me ATM.

Still not decently priced and SI/SII SSD's are no good unless you have 120gb min :(

I have 2 x 120GB :nyaanyaa:

Plus 2 x 1TB drives for movies and shiznit

EDIT: Should also add, that conventional HDD's fall into a serious hole when it comes to small files/lots of random read/write, due to physical limitations. SSD's poop on normal drives in this situation, RAID or no RAID.

Edited by SoFreshSoClean

righto, looking at upgrading the server case before summer hits again. currently running a thermaltake M9D.

i was looking at the lan li TYR PC-X2000B. but after killing 2HDD and 2 GPU's from heat. i need something that has good cooling properties.

at the moment there is a 40mm fan under each HDD for cooling ( 5.25 bay with a bracket) so i'm after something that has ~10x 5.25 drive bays to have enough room for the fan setup's.

suggestions?

Just get a generic full tower and pickup 3 of the CM 4 in 3 HDD holders. Hold 4 HDDs each and have a fan on the front.

haha CM stacker FTW as a server.

Ash: have fun configuring a RAID5 with a P67 ICH controller, much lulz has been had in our office the past few weeks with RAID5, P67 and Caviar Greens :D

funky: nothing we have run here for the past 10 years has had 5400rpm drives, and about 5 years for laptops, also every single pc in our fleet has discrete graphics, glad I don't have to manage stuff like that - the limitations of having only one 7200rpm drive in a workstation are all to apparent these days...

Unfortunately the Dell SSD option are STILL too much extra to start rolling SSD's into our fleet, that and in 3 years they will be stuffed, as we have seen on our trial run of laptops.

I was looking at getting 2x Velociraptors as the pain of not having a 500mb r/w SSD is getting to me, but then it seems kind of pointless these days!