SAU Community

Pc Setup - Chat Thread

R31Nismoid

I use to have a Hybrid CrossfireX setup on my PC a while ago (Radeon 5770 + GeForce GT220). The Radeon for graphics and the GT220 for dedicated PhysX...It wasn't too bad but It could be better with a better nvidia card and a more powerful PSU (I've only got 620W in mine currently)

I know that the 6970 has the Lucid Hydra Chip onboard so you can run this card and virturally any other card (AMD or nVidia) together. There is some teething problems drivers wise and scaling issues..and the some of there testing I have seen doesn't look too good but you have to remember this is very new and raw so it will take some refinement

Edited by BigDirtyJase

thats where the extra money from a 2500k to a 2600k is

still a good score but not quite as fast, are you still running 4.3ghz

Just put on my cpu cooler and o/c'ed to 4.7

Super PI dropped to 8.03s

3Dmark11 was 5650, so got a little improvement :)

3DMark Results

Apparently my PC is now comparable to similiar systems, heh.

Edited by SoFreshSoClean

awesome what cooler was that again

i have been toying with the idea of getting this

http://www.mwave.com.au/sku-18030281-Antec_KUHLER_H2O_920_CPU_Cooler_Compatible_with_Intel_Sockets_LGA_1366_1155_1156

EDIT ^^ those links are gay and you have to click it twice, open page shut page open page

EDIT just saw in the other thread a Thermalright TRUE 120 cooler

yeah true and i had a big cooler and don't want such a big cooler in my case and im hoping its a little more quiet

a friend has another similar cooler and said it was good i forget which brand

Wow, I gotta get me a second GFX card :)

not sure if you're being sarcastic...

will probably lean on the cards a bit more, but given that I'm sitting on the edge of PSU output as it is, I might hold off

Edited by bozodos

here's a result with the latest drivers; for some reason I can't push the cores any further or 3dmark freezes, strange given that could get the first card up to 950mhz :/

also swapped in a pair of Sata 2 Velociraptors in a 128k stripe :D

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1670000;jsessionid=5hzujouc0u8l?show_ads=true&page=%2F3dm11%2F1670000%3Fkey%3Dbn39BVvDMH7dx

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone ever used a phase change cooler? I used one for about a week, until the moisture fried my mobo because i had the heater hooked up incorrectly :angry:

I was running 4.8ghz with an i7 920, fully loaded on prime 95 temps were less than 10 degrees.

Quick question I'm hoping someone can help me with; my asus P8Z68-V has 2 switches on it. One activates TPU (auto overclock) and the other activates EPU (a power saving feature). Does anyone have any experience with these features or know anything about them? Not sure if I should switch them on or not.

Quick question I'm hoping someone can help me with; my asus P8Z68-V has 2 switches on it. One activates TPU (auto overclock) and the other activates EPU (a power saving feature). Does anyone have any experience with these features or know anything about them? Not sure if I should switch them on or not.

I've a similar board (P8Z68-Deluxe), I presonally don't bother with using them.

OC is best done manually anyway (espeically if you have got a i5/i7 unlocked CPU since its super easy) & as for the power saving thing... to me thats like saying I'm buying a Skyline to save petrol. LOL

• 1 month later...

question for the nerds.

currently running a 8TB server in a Thermaltake M9D chassis. but i have managed to clear a bit of space in this room for a rack mount server.

however, i do not know a great deal about rack mount setups.

What i would like to do is transfer all the gear out of the M9D into a rack. is this possible? or would i be looking at having to buy a server board, and going from there?

I personally wouldn't recommend a rack case in a home environment. Their cooling is typically designed for an enclosed rack environment in a datacenter with cool air at the front, exhaust at the rear. They often used very small high-speed fans to facilitate their cooling - and these fans are usually very very loud.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

I personally wouldn't recommend a rack case in a home environment. Their cooling is typically designed for an enclosed rack environment in a datacenter with cool air at the front, exhaust at the rear. They often used very small high-speed fans to facilitate their cooling - and these fans are usually very very loud.

exactly

It's a pity though, we have a heap of old 1 and 2 RU Xeon servers that are sitting under benches for this very reason - they are outdated but impractical to sell, and not able to be used in a home environment (without a lot of stuffing around with racks, cooling, soundproofing etc)

IMG_6203.jpg

need more desk space, and i've never been keen on putting the towers on the ground

but if its not fiesable, then its not fiesable :). just curious to see if it was possible, as i could just mount it to the wall

Yeah rack really isn’t an option. My tower sits on carpet mate, and has for quite some time. I mean it has “legs” so its not sitting bottom surface etc. Can’t see why you cant do that. Also keeps cabling out the way.

How many drives do you have?

4x 2TB

or 8 x 1TB

Running RAID cards? Or JBOD?

If it’s just a JBOD server, a 4-bay m-itx option like this would be a good idea

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_547&products_id=16066

I’m not totally up with m-itx boards, so not sure if they have onboard RAID or you need a RAID card. If you do need a card/more drive space:

(ive not totally checked space/specs tho)

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_547&products_id=18323

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_547&products_id=14503

question for the nerds.

currently running a 8TB server in a Thermaltake M9D chassis. but i have managed to clear a bit of space in this room for a rack mount server.

however, i do not know a great deal about rack mount setups.

What i would like to do is transfer all the gear out of the M9D into a rack. is this possible? or would i be looking at having to buy a server board, and going from there?

Despite what the muppets have said, yes you can get a rack case that doesn't have high speed fans and it would be fine. Decent ones are pretty expensive though and it wouldn't really be worth the money.

Yeah rack really isn't an option. My tower sits on carpet mate, and has for quite some time. I mean it has "legs" so its not sitting bottom surface etc. Can't see why you cant do that. Also keeps cabling out the way.

How many drives do you have?

4x 2TB

or 8 x 1TB

Running RAID cards? Or JBOD?

If it's just a JBOD server, a 4-bay m-itx option like this would be a good idea

http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=16066

I'm not totally up with m-itx boards, so not sure if they have onboard RAID or you need a RAID card. If you do need a card/more drive space:

(ive not totally checked space/specs tho)

http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=18323

http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=14503

i've noticed that when the towers sit on the ground, there seems to be more dust in the cases in a shorter period of time ( from the carpet i imagine).

at the moment both cases get a dusting every 6 months, unless i'm fiddling with them. then they get a dustout while the covers are off.

4x 2 TB at the moment. but theres another 2TB drive waiting to go in. once that goes in i'll be putting it into a RAID, probably something like RAID 5

the server was built to make use of old parts, and extra storage ofcourse.

Despite what the muppets have said, yes you can get a rack case that doesn't have high speed fans and it would be fine. Decent ones are pretty expensive though and it wouldn't really be worth the money.

cabinets i've seen are around $600 + freight