SAU Community

Pc Setup - Chat Thread

R31Nismoid

i've noticed that when the towers sit on the ground, there seems to be more dust in the cases in a shorter period of time ( from the carpet i imagine).

at the moment both cases get a dusting every 6 months, unless i'm fiddling with them. then they get a dustout while the covers are off.

4x 2 TB at the moment. but theres another 2TB drive waiting to go in. once that goes in i'll be putting it into a RAID, probably something like RAID 5

the server was built to make use of old parts, and extra storage ofcourse.

Ok so see if m-itx have onboard RAID yet. If they do, you are set (cheap solution). It wont be fast.

Otherwise buy a RAID card if you are worried about speed.

Wanna know how to stop the dust?

Put chicks stockings over the fans - and bolt them back in. Best filter you can get and cost nothing, and just wash em every 6 months. Works perfectly for me and my machines are on 24x7

cabinets i've seen are around $600 + freight

You wouldn't buy a new cabinet. Get one off OCAU or a forum like that, you can get a full 42U rack for $100 or even free.

Just don't buy a comms cabinet by mistake and then try and put rails in it.

There are some desktop cases that are rack mountable or one of these with a couple of 4 in 3s for 8 HDDs

You could also look at something like this with 7 HDDs in a mITX case.

Edited by DivHunter

Wanna know how to stop the dust?

Put chicks stockings over the fans - and bolt them back in. Best filter you can get and cost nothing, and just wash em every 6 months. Works perfectly for me and my machines are on 24x7

pretty sure i'd look strange buying a pair of stocking with no girlfriend in sight :P . but i never thought of using them as filters.

Edited by liger

hey guys wanting to reformate my mates computer but he didnt get the windows cd with it, he has the activation code on the side of the computer just not the cd. wondering if there is somewhere to get it from cheers josh

hey guys wanting to reformate my mates computer but he didnt get the windows cd with it, he has the activation code on the side of the computer just not the cd. wondering if there is somewhere to get it from cheers josh

What brand system is it?

• 3 weeks later...

i cant help but wonder if you held off the the release of the 2700k whether the 2600k would drop to the price of the current 2500k

i have also been wondering do i get a Noctura or get a Corsair H20 water kit

i cant help but wonder if you held off the the release of the 2700k whether the 2600k would drop to the price of the current 2500k

i have also been wondering do i get a Noctura or get a Corsair H20 water kit

I was thinking about a Corsair Water cooling then I thought, nah. The Noctua 120 and 140mm coolers are just so damn quiet it's impossible to go past them.

Will take pics of my rig today when I've finished the transplant. Going for best cabling run I can.

• 3 weeks later...

So I just took delivery of some Dell Precision T7500's at work for my whole team.

Dual Xeon X5647

2x16GB 1333MHz RAM (can go up to 6 of these for 96GB)

2x300GB SATA HDD (10,000RPM) RAID 0'd

1x120GB SATA3 SSD for OS

1x2TB SATA HDD (7,200RPM)

1 GB NVIDIA Quadro 600

plus dual U2410's.

bit of overkill for a bunch of dev's but meh. It's all deductible as R&D costs :P