SAU Community

Pc Setup - Chat Thread

R31Nismoid

OK, so I've installed the second card, but I'm not 100% convinced it's working properly.It SAYS that it's around 60fps but it sure doesn't feel that way.

Anyone here with a crossfire setup that can give me an approximate frame rate for BF3?

Settings are all ultra, at 1920x1200

There's no crossfire icon in any game as far as I'm aware?

Anyways, I think it was more to do with my unrealistic expectations than anything. I've turned MSAA off and now its pretty much always 120+ fps with Ultra everything so I'm happy with that.

I read this on Toms Hardware which was pretty useful to me:

In AMD’s Battlefield 3 documentation, the company makes a big deal about the difference between the Anti-Aliasing Post and Anti-Aliasing Deferred options, which toggle on and off Fast Approximate Anti-Aliasing and Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing, respectively. Both features do different things, but have very disparate effects on performance.

It’s easy to see why AMD is so concerned with the use of Anti-Aliasing Deferred: it imparts a massive frame rate drop, which takes a card like the Radeon HD 6970 that might be playable at 2560x1600, or a Radeon HD 5850 at 1920x1080, and beats performance back quite a bit. Anti-Aliasing Post, on the other hand, though not always an effective approach, barely touches speed.

Perhaps more worrying for AMD is that, while the GeForce cards are also hit pretty hard by MSAA, the impact is far less detrimental. At no point does the addition of 4x MSAA take an Nvidia board from playable to unplayable (aside from maybe the GeForce GTX 285 at 1680x1050). AMD can’t say the same.

You’re at least safe turning Anti-Aliasing Post to High on AMD’s cards. Whether you want to mess with MSAA depends on how much performance you have “in reserve” to throw at eye candy.

Sauce

if your right click the Ati icon in your task back then go one of the options in there just have a look and you'll see an option for enable Crossfire logo in full screen game or something like that

but sounds like its working fine :D

Good luck.

I'd probably be approaching one of the big retailers, and explaining what I needed - interstate or otherwise.

In that sort of volume, things should be interesting.

So why do you need 135tb?

Oops, deleted post just as you were replying.

As said, we're building this:

http://blog.backblaze.com/2011/07/20/petabytes-on-a-budget-v2-0revealing-more-secrets/

We've got 210 staff members generating a shitload of data (medical research, imaging, etc), so the bigger, the better. We're building one to start with, then possibly another two.

Just checked UMart; getting a quote off them now, they seem to have stock.

For something business related, wouldn't you be better off going a proper redundant, enterprise path? Especially then you'll have better upgrade paths in terms of expanding SANs with more trays, and then just growing LUNs.

Sure you'll pay more for it - but do you really want to risk important medical/research/etc data on that?

Does it actually run RAID or JBOD?

What are you doing for backups?

This is actually our backup box :P We already run a SATA Beast for main storage (as well as on people's machines).

Running RAID6 I think (my sysadmin's sorting all that stuff out), and we'll be using Crashplan Pro. We're moving off of Retrospect, because we're doing a hot-swap HDD set at the moment; sucks balls. Single threaded app with the server doing all the work is shit. Better to offload a little bit to the clients and have continuous rather than Retro just rolling through clients seeing one at a time.

• 3 weeks later...

good luck finding an X6, they are EOL lolz

I got a few in stock, can get some more in... :domokun:

HDT90ZFBGRBOX PHENOM II X6 1090T 3.2GHZ 9MB AM3 BLK

HDT55TFBGRBOX PHENOM II X6 1055T 2.8GHZ 9MB AM3 (125W)

HDT75TFBGRBOX PHENON II X6 1075T 3.0MHZ 9MB AM3 125W

HDE00ZFBGRBOX PHENOM II X6 1100T

Edited by A-K

So I just took delivery of some Dell Precision T7500's at work for my whole team.

Dual Xeon X5647

2x16GB 1333MHz RAM (can go up to 6 of these for 96GB)

2x300GB SATA HDD (10,000RPM) RAID 0'd

1x120GB SATA3 SSD for OS

1x2TB SATA HDD (7,200RPM)

1 GB NVIDIA Quadro 600

plus dual U2410's.

bit of overkill for a bunch of dev's but meh. It's all deductible as R&D costs :P

bahaha Dell got our order wrong and shipped it with 256GB SSD's lawl.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got one of these:

SteelSeries Sensei:

SteelSeries-Sensei.jpg

It has an ARM CPU inside it with about the same processing power as the original Pentium! Hahah!

The difference it's made to my accuracy is stunning, it tracks so much smoother and feels so much more responsive.

You have to remember to turn the sensitivity waaay down in games or it's much too twitchy.

Good investment, I recommend it :)

• 3 weeks later...

added this to my pc since my room gets so hot

perspex case with a 120mm fan mounted to the top of it with a 120mm tube take all the heat out the window

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

• 2 months later...