SAU Community

Pc Setup - Chat Thread

R31Nismoid

if you can chop and change parts, i would go the intel with the gtx260, and that asrock mobo is in no way shape or form competitive to the gigabyte one on the amd. are those set packages or just 2x custom quoters?

if you can chop and change parts, i would go the intel with the gtx260, and that asrock mobo is in no way shape or form competitive to the gigabyte one on the amd. are those set packages or just 2x custom quoters?

+1

Also I would change the 31 based mobo to a P35/45 chipset based one for the intel system.

Otherwise if no change is possible, the 1st (AMD) system is (way) better overall.

• 2 weeks later...

I am putting together a new work PC for our work admin lady. Day to day she has heaps of emails, and is always using the MYOB system, and constantly doing stuff in excel, word, etc, etc.

So it needs to be powerful enough to have 6 or so different aps open at once like, outlook, MYOB, excel, word, etc, etc.

This is what I came up with.

CPU - AMD Phenom II X2 Dual Core 550 BLACK EDITION $140.00

M/B - Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P $115.00

RAM - Corsair TR3X6G1600C9 6GB (3x XMS3 2GB) $169.00

HDD - WD WESTERN DIGITAL WD10EADS 1TB 32MB $95.00

V/C - Gigabyte ATI HD4850 ZL PCI-E 2.0 512MB $140.00

DVD - Lite-on DVD Burner $45.00

Case - black miditower case 500w PSU $39.00

The only thing i think i would change would to give it 3gb or ram instead of the 6. We only run 32 bit OS so thats a good way to save some money which will make the boss happy.

What do you guys think?

That PC is overkill, also you are using the wrong ram for that board. Tri kits are designed for i7 LGA1366 processors that support tri-channel. For a workstation that uses those programs running simultaneously I would probably go for:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 / 2.93GHz / 3MB Cache / 1066FSB / LGA775

Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L Intel Mainboard - 2x DDR2 / 4x Sata / 1x IDE / Gigabit Lan / Onboard VGA

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM 32MB SATA 3Gbs

LG GH22NS50 SATA DVD Re-Writer (22x - Black)

Kingston DDR2 4GB PC-6400/800 (2x2GB) CL5 Value Ram

Black ATX Tower Case (550W)

Mind you, that PC is future-proof for what it will be used for. Most workstations that use similar workload use lesser CPUs, and only 2GB RAM :)

Good Luck

Thanks guys. Yeah i realized about the RAM.

But all under 700 bucks and she will have a computer that will last her for a few years no problem.

I might just chuck a cheap 4650 in there as i hate any sort of intergrated graphics. Plus she needs a dual monitor setup so dual DVi outputs are needed.

I need to make a more basic one for the warehouse so i'll take your advice given above.

• 3 weeks later...

just put another gig of ram in my E6550 system, plus a 512MB DDR3 4830 512mb which I overclocked (can't remember how far lol, but a fair margin over standard due to it being a Sapphire card with a huge fan / heatsink)

so now I'm running E6550 3GB 667mhz RAM, Gigabyte mobo, 4830 512mb, in an Antec case, with a BenQ 21" LCD, pretty damn impressed with the performance increase from fairly marginal upgrades (previously only had a 512mb DDR2 8600GT and 2GB RAM)

• 6 months later...
Little update, got two 5870s, just need blocks, squirrel fans are shit.

Case: Cosmos S internals black, 3x120 and 2x120 rads

PSU: Enermax Revolution85+ 1050

Motherboard: EVGA Classified 760

CPU: Intel i7 920

RAM: Dominator GT DDR3 2000

Monitor: Dell 23" / 50" Samsumg plasma

GPU: 2 x 5870

HDD(s): 2 x VelociRaptor 150GB (RAID 0)

Peripherals: Microsoft X5 and X6

Geeeez DiV!

Just when i get proud of my 1x5870 effort you go out and get 2!!!

All i want now is nice quad core, not i5/i7 just yet. I signed up with OCAU but have to wait 90 days until i can access for sale section.

So whats the 3dmark score on a baby like that?

Why the velicoraptors over SSD?

Geeeez DiV!

Just when i get proud of my 1x5870 effort you go out and get 2!!!

All i want now is nice quad core, not i5/i7 just yet. I signed up with OCAU but have to wait 90 days until i can access for sale section.

So whats the 3dmark score on a baby like that?

Why the velicoraptors over SSD?

Bought the raptors when SSDs of any size were ~$1000 each

Received the water blocks and back plates for the 5870s so that all goes together tomorrow and it won't sound like a vacuum anymore.

why 2x 5870 and not just go and get a 5970 though, did you already have one?

Faster, though you can clock a 5970 to 2 x 5870 speeds you can also OC 2 x 5870 even higher.

Some poor bastard sold his 5870s and bought 3 480GTX only to find he only improved by 2000 points in 3DMark. Personally that's not $900+ worth.

ahahaah poor bugger!

Y eah i have switched from Nvidia to ATI for the first time, Catalyst seems pretty easy and has a very minor OCing tool included which i think will be perfect, i dont feel like blowing up my $500 card, so am more than happy just to increase it by 50 or so.

the 480s are steadily coming down in price BUT the 5870's are kind of staying at the same price now, ie Nvidia prices are dropping much quicker than ATi prices. I guess becuase its a new product, but, are needing to establish its proper price range...... reminds me of the MYER share float :-)

The 480s are dropping because they weren't selling that well at twice the price of a card that is essentially the same performance and nVidia are having fewer yield issues.

They are still selling them at a loss.

All the blocks are on and it's all working, yay, ran a couple of quick tests which make me think it's not running crossfire properly yet. Might just have the bridge around the wrong way, it's been known to happen. Didn't get that much time once it was together and leak tested.

hmm i'd prefer not having to dick around with Crossfire / SLI thx :)

yeah one of my workmates bought a 480 as soon as it was avalible, if he'd waited 2 weeks the silly flamin mongrel would have saved 50 bucks at least! they seem to be hell overrated imo, and there's no way that I want any component in my pc that runs naturally at 100 degrees or close to it!

they also weigh a fkn ton, and are physically a huge card!

I waited nearly 4 months for one, when it finally came out i realised that my 620w corsair power supply might have a few issues having enough power to run it, so rather than risk it i thought i would buy the 5870. So far so good :-) Got the gigabyte 5870 for $495 so was pretty happy bout that. i think it should remind a good high end gfx crd for sometime now as dx11 is only just phasing in at will no doubt take at least over another 12 months to go dx 12.....

Call of duty MW 2 looks awesome with it!

Well I got the Crossfire stuff right as it turns out, I had just forgot to turn turbo and shit back on for the CPU when setting everything to stock so it now gets the same scores at stock what I used to get with 2 x 3870X2 OC'd and E3110 at 4GHz in 3D mark06 with the 920 at 2.66 turbo to 2.8 and 5870s at stock. No mucking with tweaks to get higher numbers everything is just cranked as high as it goes. While running benchmarks etc the GPUs got up to a shocking 25C. I have all the 3DMark 06, vantage and PC mark vantage stock numbers at home so it's time to pump some volts and cook some silicon. They really shouldn't be allowed to call it 3DMark, it's so CPU dependent.

Making it's way to 4GHz, I can run 3DMark but not OCCT / Linpack so just bumping the vCore one at a time and testing. A slow process, especially with a C0/C1 chip, might look for another CPU, maybe a W3540. Then I have to get the RAM as close to 2000 as possible and tighten up the timings. That's the real shit part because is that doesn't work it usualy requires a CMOS reset and putting all the settings back in.

The vDroop is massive on the Classified, a full .05

Edited by DivHunter