SAU Community

How To: Bosch 040 Fuel Pump In R33 Skyline Si / Sii

DRFT33

Mine is mounted in tank with no surge tank, you don t need a filter sock as the 040 has the mesh filter on the bottom, and try not to let the tank get below 1/2-1/4. In my view, you don't need a surge tank unless you are running big numbers or are tracking the car, then you could use the 040 as a lifter, and a 044 as the pressure.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe somebody could help me with installing a Walbro 255lph in-tank pump?

When you hold the fuel pump bracket with stock pump and filter sock so that the sock is aiming right at you, the angle is about 20-30% off to the side when I have the Walbro in place with either stock or Walbro sock.

The sock hangs about as low as it does when angled straight at me, so I was wondering; just install, or fix the angle...

• 1 month later...

About the Mesh/Filter thing on the Bosch 040. I have an 040 in mine and i accidently dropped a 5c sized peice of foil down the tank off a bottle of octane booster. Will the mesh/Filter stop this from getting sucked up?

Edited by j_foz

About the Mesh/Filter thing on the Bosch 040. I have an 040 in mine and i accidently dropped a 5c sized peice of foil down the tank off a bottle of octane booster. Will the mesh/Filter stop this from getting sucked up?

Yes, the mesh should protect the pump...but, if the foil gets sucked up onto the mesh it will impede the flow of petrol.

to anyone and is worried about the pump sucking up crap and getting damaged, this will only happen if you tank has a build up of crap. if you want to minimise this risk, before you remove the old pump, wait until you get low on fuel and then remove the fuel cap then go to the engine bay and remove the fuel hose from the fuel filter in the engine bay and put the end of it into a big bucket (i would leave the fuel filter attached and disconnet the hose after the fuel filter, you'll understand why in a second). then with the end of the hose in the bucket, turn the ignition on (don't start the car though). this should get the pump to start and start pumping the fuel into the bucket. when the bucket is nearly full, turn off the ignition. leaving the filter on should catch most of the crap coming out of the tank, meaning that this fuel should be pretty clean. tip this back into the tank. try to do this fast so you can stir up any crap on the bottom of the tank. then repeat the process 1 or 2 times. the sock on the pump will stop a lot of the bigger crap getting through (although a suprising amount will still get through), but the smaller stuff which is what can damage the pump over time will and it will get caught by the filter. then just have a new filter to go in when you put the new pump in and bob's your aunty.

i should note that i did just make that up (just popped into my head) and have never tried it, so if anyone sees a fault in the method please post up.

also if you regularly run your tank down very low you will find that you actually have a clean tank as most of the crap will have already been sucked up by the pump, and is probably lodged in the filter already. and if you get your fuel from an old servo, replacing the filter every second or third oil change probably wouldn't be a bad thing either. some of the older servos have rust and crap at the bottom of the tanks, although if the servo has a high turnover then it would be safe to say that the crap doesn't get to settle at the bottom much so there isn't much need to worry.

• 1 month later...

Any tips on how to screw the locking ring back down? I can't even get one half turn of the ring by hand when trying to lock it down. That doesn't feel right to me. Will try and get some rubber grease and hope that will make things easier. And the other thing is I'm worried that since it's so hard to turn, I'm jumping threads. But when I take it off to check it appears fine. Getting the thing started and the thread to bite is driving me nuts. My first attempt resulted in fuel pissing out the top of the o-ring and locking ring. Am trying to do it again but all I'm doing is getting angry lol.

Ok hey guys...done everything like the write up...but i cant push the cradle back into the two slots were it goes into becuase the pump is too big/long and i cant push it in...

The pump is clamped on the cradle...becuase i dont want the pump bumping around in my tank while im driving....

So how the heck did u guys put it in???????????????? it just wont go in like you guys have..unless i unclamp it.......

Ok hey guys...done everything like the write up...but i cant push the cradle back into the two slots were it goes into becuase the pump is too big/long and i cant push it in...

The pump is clamped on the cradle...becuase i dont want the pump bumping around in my tank while im driving....

So how the heck did u guys put it in???????????????? it just wont go in like you guys have..unless i unclamp it.......

sounds like the pump is sticking too far off the end of the cradle. maybe you need to cut some hose out and bring it back up a little bit so it goes in all the way. Not too much obviously cos you want it close to the bottom as possible

sounds like the pump is sticking too far off the end of the cradle. maybe you need to cut some hose out and bring it back up a little bit so it goes in all the way. Not too much obviously cos you want it close to the bottom as possible

Yea it doesnt feel like that would be enough tho...im using the factory black hose off the original pump...like other people have in the picture...and it hangs down exactly as far as the other pumps do compared to the bottom of where the cradle has been cut....

So i really dont know what im doing wrong here...have just spent hours trying to put it in and it really doesnt want to fit...

when i did it the slots in the craddle were about 5mm from being all the way down, but they were still on a fair way so we just left it like that.was more than enough to hold it there

• 4 weeks later...

i puller my pump out today to do this and ive got a different pump setup to you guys

my pump is located at the top of the tank where the cradle is secured and it hase a long hose that goes to the bottom for a pickup with the sock on it

ok so i installed this tonight, has issues picking up fuel below 1/2 to 1/4~

will play around with it tomorrow to get it to sit lower but doesn't look like it will.

if this is case, its pretty crap so might have to ditch this and get a walbro instead.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah plenty of people have had the issue with surging, etc with less than 1/4 of a tank. generally means that they haven't mounted it low enough. i think when there was just the thread of how to put it into a 32 and not a 33, people were cutting the bottom of the metal hose off the standard mount to get the pump to sit level with the bottom of the bracket, or at least not down as far as this method (which i used when installing a pump into a mates 33 - before this thread even existed- and he could have the light come on and not have surging issues).

• 2 weeks later...

I got one thing to say - get a Walbro 255 l/hr.

I just purchased one brand new for $130 i.e. half the price of a Bosch!

It comes with a kit to fit the car (R33 etc) fits straight in - no cutting, no hose clamps.

Cheap and easy - these Walbro pumps are good quality items and will do the job unless you are chasing mega-kw