SAU Community

Car Has Delusions Of Emptiness

Kozeyekan

Yes, I have searched (SAU, google, justskylines, even ns.com)

OK, so, my R32 GTS-4 has a bit of an issue.

After driving to work for half an hour, with the tank at 3/4 full, the engine loses all power, then comes on only in burps, I pump the gas a couple of times, but this has no effect whatsoever (not even a bunny hop, it's as if the gas isn't connected)

it clears up for a while, then ten minutes later, it happens again.

I limp it in to work.

On the way home though, same problem occurs, still after about 30 mins of driving. This time, the engine cuts out (thankfully infront of a maccas on warrigal rd, and I coast into the car park)

I get a tow back to my place.

now, I've had a chat to a few people, and have heard it could be the following:

Fuel filter: (now replaced. No improvement)

Fuel pump: (ditto)

O2 sensor: (I thought that would make it run rich or lean though, so pumping the gas would have SOMe effect on the revs)

Timing belt: (I thought having it that badly off would have bent a valve or something by now.)

Spark plugs: (Not really sure how this opinion came about. I think it's pretty unlikely that all 6 would fail at once, but hey, changed them anyway)

Coil packs: (ditto)

Anyone have any solid ideas? I've got a timing belt ready to go on, but I don't have the time to do it right now if I don't need to.

Thanks

it won't be O2 sensor timing belt or spark plugs/coil packs. none of those will cause the whole engine to die erratically.

it sounds most like the fuel pump is dying but if it's not that, could be a fuel pressure regulator but i've never heard of them going. if it's not fuel related it has to be electrical, an intermittent connection either to fuel pump, ignitor pack, or ECU is making everything cut out at once. or it could be a CAS/AFM problem I guess. Unplug them and plug them back in - just in case the connection is dirty.

It is often the immobiliser of the alarm having a life of its own. Also, when it gets older, the ignitor pack often starts to misbehave when it gets hot.

One other rare one is something (like a plastic bag) in the fuel tank floating around and eventually blocking the pump pickup.

True, when I replaced the fuel pump I didn't really look around the tank. I'll have a crack at that then and see if there is anything floating about, though if I find out that someone put a plastic bag in my tank, I'm gonna be pissed.

As you rightly should be.

But it's rare - only ever heard one ever case of it being the problem.

Its strange, but i had the little gauze 'sock' from the pick up for the intank pump come off and then blocked the fuel pick up and it sounded very similar to your issue, but its a one in a million sort of thing lol, might also be worth checking out your AFM just had mine screw up lol with similar results lol

OK, had a look around the tank and no debris to be found.

The fuel pump primes ok, so it's wired up right (Bosch 040 in tank) and the idle is OK, but revving above 2.5K and it bounces for a while (like a rev limiter) then power dies off.

I disconnected the battery and pushed the brakes to reset the ECU, and it's still doing the same.

Figured it could be air in the fuel lines, but it should have primed itself by now surely. (idled for about 15 min, drove a bit for about 5 min). It does smell rich though.

I know it'll need a tune, but is that all?

Could anything else be messing me up?

Edited by Kozeyekan

For the problem to be mainly occuring once the motor is hot after driving for a while, id put my $50 on the AFM. Mine did EXACTLY the same thing....being a green label AFM a few people had the same problem as me. Being an R32, id imagine you have the same problem. A quick dyno run measuring a/f ratio should tell you if its playing up. I would look into this, maybe get some proper cleaner & clean the terminals, or even replace the unit.

I had mine replaced with a pink label unit from a series 2 R33 (due to a lack of R32 AFM's at the time), & mine hasnt missed a beat since, it actually made another 15kw at the wheels on the dyno straight after. Fuel pump & spark are possible, but those i would expect to play up right from the start. The temp & time it takes suggests its the AFM causing you the dramas.

Hope this helps

Gah, I think I'm an idiot.

I replaced the fuel pump aand the fuel filter in one go, so a lot of air got in the fuel lines.

I just took the fuel line off the engine. No fuel spilled out. I then let the pump prime itself on ACC, and reconnected the fuel line, then started it up.

After an initial burble it seems to have come good. A couple zips up and down the road look promising.

Seems the problem was initially a fuel pump issue, but all the air in the lines stuffed me up even after fixing.

A few quick laps around the block, including a steep hill climb and idling for 20 mins, and it hasn't skipped a beat.

Should have thought of the obvious first.

Thanks for the help though guys.