SAU Community

Has Anyone Got A Siberian Husky

LTHL34

There's a lot of dogs in the world and a pure breed of dog to match anyone's situation.

Post up more details on your lifestyle, housing and general details.

Oh and to help, I've shown and breed dogs (I've owned dogs that have excellent results in obidence and in most dog show, including Royal Melbourne Show) through out my 20's.... :D

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What about a Malamute?

There similar to a Husky but smaller from memory. Or have i got that back the front?

Be prepared for the food bill!

p.s Check out a Kelpie, healthy dont get sick, highly intelligent, highly energised, love your attention, truly a best mate.

This is the recent addition to my family. Paddy :(

post-38314-1232672203_thumb.jpg

post-38314-1232672380_thumb.jpg

post-38314-1232672656_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stagea_Neo

For some reason I thought you meant a Samoyed. Now that's a high maintenance dog. I know someone who has three, and apparently if they get wet (not just rained on, but really soaked through) they can't dry off on their own. The moisture just stays warm and wet inside their coat and causes all sorts of infections.

Really cool dogs though.

What about a Malamute?

There similar to a Husky but smaller from memory. Or have i got that back the front?

Be prepared for the food bill!

haha you're funny.. :)

Here's the difference: http://www.321dogs.com/pictures/alaskan_ma...wallpaper_2.jpg

that husky is probably on the larger side of huskys too

malamutes are more like bears with even thicker legs again

malamutes dont generally get along with anyone else, malamutes, other dogs or cats..

There was a beautiful malamute across the street that managed to grab the neighbours little runty maltese through a hole in the fence.. so she was put down :)

Actually a husky will eat less than a dog of comparable size because they are made to live on a small amount of food in the wild.. theyre supposed to eat about 80% decent dry food and a small amount of wet food. If you feed them a normal amount like a german shepherd then they will get fat which is really bad for them.

Also if you don't exercise them much then they need less food because they don't need as much energy

You don't need to buy some $100 for 18kg dry food tho... There is a brand called Bonnie that is err... I think $30/40 for 20kg of dry food which is full of vitamins etc & is comparable to the more expensive brands and much much better than anything in the supermarket

• 2 months later...

We got a Siberian Husky named Yaz (was our daughters 8th birthday present so she got to choose name) Yaz is 15 weeks old now and is black and white with brown eyes. she is such a cute dog but she does love to chew anything and everything. We walk her twice a day and there not small walks. But we do have to spend every spare minute with her or she will howl. we are currently teaching her tricks. one thing i must say is they are a very smart dog, it took her only 4 times to learn to sit and shake hands (paw) and now when i ask her to sit and shake she does, another great thing she learned to sit and lie down and to stay and come. if you don't have the time to care and walk this type of dog then i really recommend something else. here is a pic of our yaz at 12 weeks and 14 weeks

post-58486-1239520936_thumb.jpg

post-58486-1239521026_thumb.jpg

Sure you don't want a Samoyed?

They are ultra-cute as puppies - more like toys than anything. They look magnificent when they are full grown. I am looking at getting one or two in the near future.

Apparently the three main lines of sled dogs - Siberian husky, Alaskan Malamute and Samoyed (all originally bred in same arctic climate, just different continents) are part of the 14 "ancient" pure breed lineages.

They are fantastic working dogs, but their huge fur can be a problem. Also, if you're a smaller guy or girl usually you need some muscles to control a Malamute, which is the biggest of the three. My uncle has a huge-ass Malamute and even though I'm not a small guy, when she decides to run for it, I have a lot of trouble trying to stop her. The reason I love Samoyeds is of their magnificent white coat, their perpetually "smily" faces and sunny temperament, and because they don't have the "dog" odour that most dog breeds have (someone in the family has a sensitive nose). They are energetic though, and their coat requires decent maintenance. That said, I think you will be happy with a husky if you have time to spend with it, or if you get two and let them play around with each other if you have a large yard.

post-49469-1239525440_thumb.jpg

post-49469-1239525483_thumb.jpg

Not a Huski but

My partner and i have just adopted a 2 year old Mastiff, huge couch potato and loves to cuddle, cant wait to bring her home on wednesday.

Was shelted because of the Vic Bush Fires not 100% sure of what happned to her owners

but we are going to give her lots of love and Attention

How much work IS the coat of a Huski/Samoyed/Malamute? And are they the sort of dog where off leash is a no-no?

I love them but think i will end up with a Rotti or a Staff

For some reason I thought you meant a Samoyed. Now that's a high maintenance dog. I know someone who has three, and apparently if they get wet (not just rained on, but really soaked through) they can't dry off on their own. The moisture just stays warm and wet inside their coat and causes all sorts of infections.

Really cool dogs though.

who ever told u that is f**king retarded, i bought my girlfriend a samoyed and although i hate the flamin mongrel he is cute but they r seriously high maintainance dogs,

i also know someone who had 3 (one died recently so now only 2) and she adores them but they r alot of work and like all big dogs expensive when they get sick.

i dont think owning dogs like huskies and mlamutes is very fair because our conditions are just far too hot for them and they hate it.

if u want a really good dog that is easy to train, big and loyal get a rottie, my one is the best dog in the world and he is very docile. (more like a big hamster)

I have a 4 yr Old AKITA ( very similar from the same dog family as the Malamutes and Huski (spitz family)

My advice :

If you get one - GET TWO as others mentioned they will entertain each other whilst you are at work and if you are feeding and walking one it is no harder to for two.

Prepare for the HAIR......... I Vacuum the down stairs carpet DAILY.

Hip Displaysia - As another poster (KAZ180) said check the breeder and if possible view the parents get a guarantee in writing.

Glaucoma - Malamutes HUskies and Akitas have a much higher rate of Glaucoma than many other breeds...so something else to be vigilant about and if you notice any cloudyness in the eyes get straight to the vet.

THere are other auto-immune conditions which can effect these dogs have a look on the internet once you have decided on a breed.

Lastly, dont take the whole thing lightly and be prepared to live you life around your dogs for the next 7-12 years ....anyway holidays and weekends away will become far less frequent.......but the rewards far outweigh the hassles...... also with two of those guys in the yard you home security will be second to none.......My guy has full reign of the house the garage and the back yard all day ..for the last two years I have not even closed my backdoor during the day while at work let alone locked it.

• 1 month later...

working and keeping a samoyed not a problem, i have a pup and work. i make sure he has plenty of water when at work and chew toys for him. hes always excited to see me when i get home and they love attention but as always keeping them to a routine is important. i found he soon got used to being on his own during the day but its important to take him out as soon as i got home. :(

I had an Alaskan Malamute, 64kg of the most awesome dog I have ever known but by god, Snow Dogs = high maintenance in every respect. But they are worth every second of it.

The fur, the food, the furniture sized poo! Not to mention that if he took off at a run, he could drag most adults with little effort.

I could brush my Mal for 35 mins three times a week and fill a garbage bag and still come back for more. In fact I haven't had him for 4 years as due to circumstances at the time I had to rehome him and years after I still had little tumbleweeds of fur bouncing around. I've even moved house since and the other day found more of his fleecey fur on a jacket :ninja:

Definitely do your research on these breeds before considering ownership, they are a lot of work, almost a religion! But if you're a snow dog type of person, it will come naturally. if you want a lazy dog laying at your feet, don't go for a snow dog imho, as their nature is one of self reliance and self preservation and that requires constantly asserting your place in the food chain - Mals probably more so than Huskies, but snow dogs allowed free run will soon rule the roost.

Unfortunately the guy who took my Malamute didn't assert himself and things didn't end well, sad story - I'd hate for anyone who wasn't ready for a dog like this to go through anything like that. A 64kg Malamute that is not under control is a lethal weapon and quite capable of killing other animals and small children - they're probably closer to wild dogs than almost any other breed and while incredibly loyal and protective of their owner/s, have little respect for any other form of life. I once watched my Mal being swooped by magpies in our yard, I could almost see his brain working as he pretended to be looking the other way and bam, magpie swooped and he grabbed it out of the air, killing it with one shake of the head. Not to mention that we were completely free of rats and possums.

Any good, responsible breeder will make you jump through hoops before allowing you to take a puppy and that's the way it should be :)

Personally I wouldn't own another one, I don't have the time and energy to do one justice, even though they are my favourite breed of dog. Good luck :)

who ever told u that is f**king retarded, i bought my girlfriend a samoyed and although i hate the flamin mongrel he is cute but they r seriously high maintainance dogs,

i also know someone who had 3 (one died recently so now only 2) and she adores them but they r alot of work and like all big dogs expensive when they get sick.

i dont think owning dogs like huskies and mlamutes is very fair because our conditions are just far too hot for them and they hate it.

if u want a really good dog that is easy to train, big and loyal get a rottie, my one is the best dog in the world and he is very docile. (more like a big hamster)

I was told this by a vet nurse who grew up with three. I'm pretty sure I'm going to believe her, and if you don't read this:

"The Samoyed coat should be dried with cool, forced air (which can be done with a canister dryer, shop vacuum or blow or kennel dryer) as water can be trapped in the very thick undercoat, has difficulty evaporating and may remain in the fur for some time, possibly leading to a "hot spot." Drying the Samoyed coat will also reduce matting caused by dampness in the undercoat. It is important to rinse well, as any shampoo or soap left in the coat after bathing can lead to a "hot spot" or a fungal infection, which is difficult to cure without shaving the affected location."

http://www.answers.com/topic/samoyed

• 8 months later...

Or keep your eye out at dog pounds you will be surprised what other people have thrown away..

i regularly walk my dogs at the oval, guy there has the most beautiful huski.......

couldnt believe when he said he got her at the pound..

Hey LTHL34,

Depending on when your free, I work at a pet shop in the city called Upmarket pets, Across the road from Victoria Market (Family owned)

Huskies are a fair bit of work and there fair active, shed quite alot but that also depends on how well you groom them. If you don't care about there fur they don't care how many times you have to vac the house. One of the girls who worked there owned one for years, She bushed it daily with just a normal shedding brush daily (Sometimes twice a day if she was bored) and she never had hair anywhere around her house, never had to vac the house because of dog hair.

With a dog you really have to think about you're lifestyle and do you're research on what also suits you're lifestyle the best and pick from there. Just because you hear a few cool things there or here doesn't mean the dogs best for you. Trust me you wouldn't understand how many people would buy a dog weather its from a breeder or from a pet shop and end up hating there dog. Alot of people don't think that it will be there for 8-20 years of you're life.

On the subject of Samoyeds, I think you didn't say what you wanted to say the right way. My friend used to show her Samoyed, 3 hours every night she used to brush him, 9 garbage bags full every night of hair.

With the water on there coat, its because they have a thick double coat (now don't 100% quote me on this i can't remember quite sure) but because the bottom of there coat is so thick when you wash them you really need to make sure 100% the dog is dry, sometimes water can get trapped underneath between the skin and the coat and creates something like a hot spot and can be really inritating for the dog.

Dogs with double coats and stuff like huskies do ok in our weather acually, the double coat is like insulation for them. When i was alot younger (about 10) i had a pomeranian which has a thick double coat and he was fine in the heat or cold, if its hot he stays cold, if its cold he stayed warm. Just make sure in the heat that you do have alot of water access for the dog to make sure he never gets dehidrated.

Myself, I'v had German Shepperds, A guard trained Rottrottweiler, English Staffys, Jack Russels, Pomeranians and a Miniture Dachshund. At the moment i live with my brother, his girlfriend and another girl I work with and at our house we have 2 Great danes (Awesome dogs, She used to breed them) 1 French Mastive (Dogue de Bordeaux) 1 Chihuahua x Jack Russel, My English staffy and my soon to be new Miniture Dachshund :rofl:

Great Danes, good inside or outside dogs. People would never think one of the biggest dogs in the world would be in the top 5 apartment dogs. There really really lazy and love to just slowly play around. With good training there awesome dogs.

The Frenchi is a awesome dog but you gotta expect some slobber.

The Chihuahua x Jack is just another dog :P

My English staffy tho, I grew up with english staffys had 3 threw my entire life. I wouldn't pass them up for any other breed of dog in the world honestly. They have the best nature, there fun but won't drive you crazy, good around kids and other animals (when i lived with my mum my staff would sleep with my 3 cats sleeping ontop / around him). Honestly, everybody i know who has a english staffy would never change to a new breed once you have one. Also there apperance is a + being something that looks like a "mean dog" so people won't try and jump you're back fence.

Also one other thing, Anybody who says anything about vicious dogs. Its all how you train it. If you got any other questions just PM me or ask me on the forums.