SAU Community

Cryogenic Intake Cooling Systems

The 50-70 is the RB26 equipped people (im one of em)

Im beginning to think that because of its position, its getting some pretty bad heatsoak and not giving the true reading.

I will toy with the option of moving it somewhere better i think to see if i cant get a better reading as it takes a good 15mins to my temp to creep upto 40+ on a cool day where the pipes feel the same temp after 5mins driving or 30 :ermm:

a set of gizzmo inlet gaskets makes a world of differrence.

I was thinking about the pressure danger side of things and remembered something a hydraulic engineer said to me. A pin hole in a hydraulic hose can squirt out hydraulic fluid with such force that it can cut. Worse is that when it cuts the skin and fills a cavity in your body with hydraulic fluid. Now consider that happening with liquid CO2, injecting liquid co2 into you, which then freezes your tissue before converting to a gas (possibly in your blood stream). Sounds like a pretty nasty way to die to me.

I was thinking about the pressure danger side of things and remembered something a hydraulic engineer said to me. A pin hole in a hydraulic hose can squirt out hydraulic fluid with such force that it can cut. Worse is that when it cuts the skin and fills a cavity in your body with hydraulic fluid. Now consider that happening with liquid CO2, injecting liquid co2 into you, which then freezes your tissue before converting to a gas (possibly in your blood stream). Sounds like a pretty nasty way to die to me.

Yay! finally someone else who has the knowledge/sense to bring up the dangers of high pressure and/or co2!

They insulate the plenum from the hot runners.

thanks mate....umm i know what the plenum is, just took at look at my car and there is a sorta brown/beige looking gasket but what are the hot runners?

Is this gizzmo item a worthy investment? will i see lowered intake temps?

ill do a search in a sec

I might be thinking of a different brand then, but I'm sure there's one out there that goes between the plenum chamber and runners.

Johnny, the "runners" are the individual tubes that go to each port :)

a set of gizzmo inlet gaskets makes a world of differrence.

Just for a sensor though its a bit of effort.

When the car is full noise the heat i dont think would really alter it that much ???

So relocating the sensor would be a darn sight easier than taking the entire plenum off wouldnt it?

Just for a sensor though its a bit of effort.

When the car is full noise the heat i dont think would really alter it that much ???

So relocating the sensor would be a darn sight easier than taking the entire plenum off wouldnt it?

Exactly! It wont make any diference. Consider air velocity as its entering the plenum (after coming out of the intercooler). Its not sitting in the plenum for a minute soaking up radiant heat. Its on the move and straight into the engine.

Reminds me of a twin turbo lexus 1uzfe v8 I was messing around with a few years ago. After 2 minutes on the skid pad held wide open at 6000-7000 rpm the plenum was warm but due to a good intercooler the AIT sensor never read above 35 degrees. Also, there was condensation all over the throttle body due to the pressure drop that was constantly there as the driver got off and on the throttle. The throttle was actually cold to touch.