SAU Community

Hicus Light Staying Solid

rnbguy

hi guys, every now and then the hicus light will come on and stay solid, the steering wheel will be very stiff at that point, however the car doesnt seem in limp mode as it performs normally engine wise...

i tried the diagnostic thing:

1) start car

2) within two second turn left to right 5 times

3) brake 5 times (then hicus light comes on solid)

4) move forward for a 5 metres less then 10km/h and stop

but hicus light jsut stays solid and sometimes even doing that test makes my steering stiff again =/

Have you possibly got a power steering fluid leak as i have?? I have to top mine up every few days, my light keeps coming on after a couple of days coming home down the M4.

wow so sorry guys i totally forgot to type up the car (doing work and forum[ing] )

its a 1993 r33 problem, power steering fluid is topped up fine..

The likely causes are:

Steering wheel sensor (behind steering wheel)

Pressure Sensor (behind alternator on PS line)

Electric motor (on steering rack at back)

HICAS computer (Parcel shelf in boot I think in that model)

Check the wiring connections to the motor on the rack at the rear and clean with contact cleaner.

Take off the steering wheel and ensure the sensor is in the correct position and also the steering wheel you have is the correct one with the correct boss kit.

You can test the pressure switch but it probably not going to be the cause.

bummer, i have an after market momo steering wheel which cam ewith the car... any picture guides on how to check the above? im new to skylines

I'm guessing that your after market BOSS kit isn't HICAS compatible & causing the steering wheel sensor problems. My car (also a 1993 model) does something similar & I have a cheapo steering wheel with some china rip-off boss kit (HKB? anyone?) & my HICAS light goes on when I drive @ 100km/h for about 5 or so minutes. Although my steering wheel doesn't go stiff when my HICAS light is on...

bummer, i have an after market momo steering wheel which cam ewith the car... any picture guides on how to check the above? im new to skylines

Take the steering wheel off with BOSS attached and take a photo of the bottom of the BOSS and photo of the steering sensor. Also check to make sure it is even plugged in.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the exact same problem in a 93 GTST.

HICAS light stays on, power steering goes heavy, light turns off and steering returns to normal after driving for a while(seems to get longer and longer before it returns to normal). Shits me completely!

I have the normal non air-bag s1 steering wheel. I've never been able to run the diagnostic either, never had trouble with any other fandangled diagnostics in the past, just this one can't seem to get working. I'll have to pop in to someone I know who has a scanner one of these days.

Topped up power steering. Checked and reseated all the fuses, but haven't checked(read- "banged on") those motors you guys mentioned to see if it makes a difference.

• 4 weeks later...

okay here are the pictures requested.. i appreciate the help... i take it the only thing that makes this kit hicas compatible is the two holes in it....

so am i supposed to make sure the square part on my steering column slides into one of those holes and the long clip slides into the other?

also what are the 4 pins inside that square part on my steering columb? (i know 1 is power for the horn)

06032009157.jpg

06032009160.jpg