SAU Community

Talk Me Into It....

nickcorr

My much loved R33 4-door is getting too small.... The boot is not big enough for my baby daughter's stoller and any other parafanalia that she needs...

Also at 193cm, the driving position is a bit tight. I have been able to cope for the last 3 years, but last week, after a 6 hour stretch, I need to address this..

So what to do? I love my R33, so to keep similar, but with a little more power to help with the extra weight and 4wd, a WC34 series 2 would be perfect. It's a little newer, a little bit more luxurious, a little bigger, quite a lot in the boot department, but will also be a little slower.

A few questions.

Is there more space for the driver in a Stagea, than in an R33?

How much slower will I find it (stock), if at all, compared to a stock R33?

Where are the child seat anchors mounted? ie. am I going to lost my entire boot, because there is a strap running across it...

I really would like a M35, but at this time cannot justify the additional coin, and part of me is scared if anything mechanical when wrong, as that V6 turbo is a bit of an orphan at the moment...

Final comment...

So why should I keep with the Nissans, my fourth if I do get a Stagea, rather than goto the dark side and a Legnum?

All comments/input greatfully recieved...

Find the coin for an M35.

I was in the same boat 2 years ago. took both an S2 and a Legnum for a test drive, liked the Legnum more.

Lighter, more torque, looks better and more room inside but Mitsubishi and their magical electric problems put me off (check out VR4 forums in the UK for more info).

Fuel economy is not great either.

Then I saw the M35 for sale and just bought it sight unseen.

Wouldn't change that decision if you paid me.

Reason? Just take each car for a drive...

No comparison... Oh and take the Mrs as well.

If you REALLY cannot find the coin, I think it is a toss-up between the S2 and Legnum.

Although I think that it you are looking at doing some mods, you should go the S2 over the Legnum as they respond much better to aftermarket add-ons.

VQ25DET an orphan? Maybe, but it is a orphan you cannot help but fall in love with.

Again, find the coin for the M35.

Edited by iamhe77

good things i have found with the S2 stagea is the room on the drivers side (except when the cup holders are out), and visablity aswell, also it has 3 mounts on the roof at the back for car seats.

mine came modified and i had a R32 before this so i can't comment of the performance difference... BUT

i was looking at a legnum until i found out that only afew people had done turbo conversions (not that i would have done one, but more to the fact that not many people knew about that side of things)

when i went to look at some legnums they look different in person too, longer and skinner than i would have thought.

good thing about the stagea is a nissan and its got a rb25 which everyone knows the insides of and you can get parts for very easily..

hope that helps

Curt

If you can find the coin...get a 260RS. :blink: They are coming down in price and probably go as well as, if not better than the 4 door R33. My Mrs drives mine to work every day. She loves it...

My mate has a manual Legnum. We give each other a hard time constantly. I'm yet to line him up, but each car feels pretty similar. The Legnum is lighter and has more torque down low, but it runs out of puff up in the revs, where as the 260RS keeps pulling to 7K+ :D I just need to line him up to decide what's faster. Side by side, the Legnum is much smaller than the Stag.

I am 6'5 and i find the space inside my S1 is perfect tones of leg room, big pedal box for size 13s and the boot space is unreal. The M35 is a good option if you looking for something a bit more modern inside, presonally i don't like the exteria styling unmodified... but thats just me. If you think that the M35 has an orphan engine the legnum is probably worse.

Just my 2c stay with the nissans they rule :blink: or look for a volvo haha NOT! if you can find the extra coin try the AMG E63 Estate lots of room and a bit of power hahaha

I was in the same boat about 6 months ago.. Had twins on the way and needed a bigger car, but wanted power still as at the time owned a HSV Senator and previously had a VL Turbo.. Talked to a few guys about the Stagea and Legnum and was told the Legnum's have to many problems..

With my Stagea im easily able to fit 2 car seats, a twin pram plus all the other baggage that comes along with taking the kids out and coming home with more than you left with (women and kids clothes/toys shopping :blink:)..

Edited by SHIZNT

If you can find the coin...get a 260RS. :blink: They are coming down in price and probably go as well as, if not better than the 4 door R33. My Mrs drives mine to work every day. She loves it...

My mate has a manual Legnum. We give each other a hard time constantly. I'm yet to line him up, but each car feels pretty similar. The Legnum is lighter and has more torque down low, but it runs out of puff up in the revs, where as the 260RS keeps pulling to 7K+ :D I just need to line him up to decide what's faster. Side by side, the Legnum is much smaller than the Stag.

Hahaha 260RS v Legnum. You would light him up!

Assuming both are either stock or lightly modded.

I am pretty sure that if I can take a manual Legnum with my M35 with a 46" bravia in the back (all boxed & padded of course) and the stock exhaust (see: emphysema), then you could in the 260!

Edited by iamhe77

Get a S2 Stagea you will love it. I bought a S2 Type S (Std Manual with GTR Drivetrain) about 2 years ago and I still love it and funnily enough I was never in the market for one, I actually went to the caryard with the intention of buying a legnum they had advertised.

The only Legnum / Galant that is worthwhile I think is the Super VR4 but I wouldn't exactly call it classy (Red Recaros anyone? you might as well put a sign on the back window "Here car thiefs, nice seats for you")

Admittedly on first appearances Stageas are not as good looking as a legnum (imo) but they certainly grow on you. Lowering them makes them look heaps better as they have a bit of a nose up stance standard. Some big rims also make heaps of difference, I am just abut to fit a set of 19 x 9 rims to mine :blink: . Now when I see a legnum they certainly don't have the initial appeal to me I find they actually look a bit fussy and prefer the clean lines of the Stagea these days.

Also I prefer the interior of the Stagea simple solid and functional. (I am not a fan of mitsubishi interiors).

Also in terms of aftermarket parts there is so much choice with Stageas whether it be engine / suspension/ aero whatever.

So in summary GET A STAG!!!!!!!! (I have posted some pics to help you with your decision making)

post-39581-1235351669_thumb.jpg

post-39581-1235351689_thumb.jpg

post-39581-1235351709_thumb.jpg

Haha. Before getting the 260RS, I had tried to talk my wife into it, but she didn't like them much. She wanted an R34 4 door. All it took was one car yard... she sat in a R34 and then sat in a Stag and was sold on the Stag :blink: The interior really does have a solid, quality feel about it. In my opinion, it was far better quality than the R34. No rattles or squeaks and after 10 years the only sign of wear is a slight bit on the steering wheel. You certainly get the feeling that Nissan spent the dollars on the Stagea. Plus, the RB25 is easy to work on and parts are easy to get hold of.

Having said all that, I also like the quality of the Legnum. They certainly don't have the cheap and nasty feel of some other Mitsus (ie Lancer). One look in the engine bay is enough to scare away the most keen of mechanics..

My advice: take each for a drive, take the family and then decide which way you want to go.

I own a M35 Stagea and looked after a Legnum for 12 months whilst my mate was in Iraq. . .

My 2 cents worth is go M35........

Legnum is quicker on the spool etc. . . but more room and features for M35....

But choice is yours of course...

I have both cars: a VR4 Legnum auto, and a Manual (converted to RB26) Stagea. Both cars have their pros and cons: The Legnum is by far a much better handler in standard form: they are amazingly agile. However, as stated, they are significantly smaller than a Stagea. As far as the comments on poor fuel economy go, I dfisagree: my legnum is much more efficient than a stag, judging by what I have read in the Stagea fuel consumption thread. The reason you are always filling up in the Leggy is due to the tiny fuel tank (it only takes around 50L when the fuel light comes on), but I still get around 450km/tank when driving around town, giving it the odd squirt.

Personally, I think as a factory car, the Legnum is a much nicer looking proposition on the outside, and with the exception of the stupid woodgrain trim (s1 Legnum), the dash design is a lot nicer too. I also have the optional but common Nardi Steering wheel, which is heaps nicer looking/feeling than the standard Stagea rim. Also, the steering in the Legnum is a lot more direct, which adds to the car's nimble feel.

However, there is the flip side of the coin to consider: there is very little aftermarket support for the Legnums, and the engine is a lot more fragile than the RB series. There is a lot less storage space in the back when compared to s Stag as well. If you are intending on modifying the car you buy, and don't want to be a guinea pig for mods, then I would have no hesitation in recommending the Stagea.

Depending on what transmission choice you are after, I recommend being very careful of the auto Legnums too: the gearboxes do tend to be quite delicate, and they simply must have regular servicing in order to survive, as I'm sure you've read on the forums on the dark side.

Personally, I prefer my Stagea, but it's a whole different car, especially as it is modified and my Legnum is bog stock aside from 17" wheels: It's apples and oranges. My wife, however, is in love with the Legnum: she has claimed it as her own, and will only let me sell it if I replace it with a manual Legnum. It has been 100% reliable to date, requiring onlt replacement front control arm bushes in the 12 months or so I have owned it, and the interior is pretty much rattle free after 110000km on the road, unlike that in the Stagea (although, I blame the fact that it's been pulled apart a bunch of times, has much harder suspension, and gets driven like it should for that)...

Just my opinion on the subject: I thought it might be helpful to hear from someone who lives with both cars on a daily basis.

If you were to compare a Legnum to a M35 Stagea, then there really is no choice: M35 all the way: they are so much newer, more luxurious and better looking....

I am 6'5 and i find the space inside my S1 is perfect tones of leg room, big pedal box for size 13s and the boot space is unreal. The M35 is a good option if you looking for something a bit more modern inside, presonally i don't like the exteria styling unmodified... but thats just me. If you think that the M35 has an orphan engine the legnum is probably worse.

Just my 2c stay with the nissans they rule :) or look for a volvo haha NOT! if you can find the extra coin try the AMG E63 Estate lots of room and a bit of power hahaha

HEs BACK :thumbsup:

My opinion: you need space- STAGEA My car was previously owned by a family man, had roof racks and baby seats :) RB's have lots of spares around if you look for the skyline equivalent, brakes pads on either are a PITA, but QFM are working on it apparently

Leggys seem to be better stock, but once the mods happen, stagea!

i considered selling up for a leggy, but after moving me, a mate, etc (fridge, big tv's, x-mas trees) i realised i need the room... and as much as i want to sell up now for a little thrash car i think i still need the space.

Your location is officer? if you are ever in melb you are welcome to take my car for a drive(providing you have a licence :D )

gtg, will add more later, there was a thread similar to this but stag only not long ago... and best thing is, most of your mods will switch cars with you :D

-RYan

i'm in the same boat is micah, i had (until last month) a legnum super vr-4, and my ex had a series 1 stagea.

stock for stock, and even into the light mods, a legnum is a quicker, more agile car..

my legnum ran a 13.7 1/4 mile with 3" cat back and 12psi only, and was pretty good around corners for a wagon

but the stagea has more aftermarket parts, and they are cheaper.

the stagea is also quite a bit larger, you notice it most in the front seats.

in the stagea you could swim in the foot wells, the legnum was definately a bit more lacking in the leg room (that said it's not small)

i enjoyed my leggy, it was a great car, pretty reliable apart from a blown gearbox (i was at the drags at the time, but who knows the history of the car), could get 10L/100km if i cruised around, and got even less with country runs.

but then a S1 stagea dumped with decent rims also tickles my fancy too.. my ex managed to get 10L/100km from her modded stagea too, so really it comes down to how you drive it, the legnum would chew more fuel than the stagea if both were given a boot though.

go take them both for a test drive, and go from there. :(

I would recommend a Stagea. the Legnum while its a very nice looking car and goes well...parts are very hard to find. With the Stagea, some parts you can get from skylines. I'm the height as you and the head room is alright in the Stagea..

the main question is how much money do you want to spend??

Thanks for all your comments... Does look like I will go to the Stag side, just because of the extra driver room...

Also looks like thanks to iamhe77 I am going to try a M35 for size... The worry is that I will fall in love with it and have to franticly start saving the extra dosh over a C34... And then of course there will be all the fun and games getting the stereo sorted out... :(

I have found these two on eBay and Carpoint, and they look a bit too good to be true...

Bit worried as they are marked as private sales...

Any comments?

A M35;

http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/NISSAN....aspx?State=VIC

and also a C34 with the ideal spec of leather and power seats;

http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/NISSAN....aspx?State=VIC

Thanks for all your comments... Does look like I will go to the Stag side, just because of the extra driver room...

Also looks like thanks to iamhe77 I am going to try a M35 for size... The worry is that I will fall in love with it and have to franticly start saving the extra dosh over a C34...

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :thumbsup:

Good luck with your car shopping, I reckon you'd be happy with either of those examples. If you are planning on keeping the car for a while e.g. the next 5 years then I would probably go the M35 personally i reckon they are on par and in some cases better than some of the euro offerings for half the price. But if you just want a reliable comfortable wagon with reasonable performance get a c34 (With the extra cash put some nice rims on it and get a good stereo installed, one with a dvd in the back and everyones happy) :thumbsup:

The C34 is from the same importer I brought mine from last year (I know this because the guy has use the same photo of the sunroofs. wow I can't beleive how much of a price drop it's been in a year - i paid 18k for mine but with 18" BBS Rims) The M35 is really nice but it's up to you if you want to save the extra to get the M35.

Ben (the guy who is selling the C34) is a really good bloke to deal with

Haha. Before getting the 260RS, I had tried to talk my wife into it, but she didn't like them much. She wanted an R34 4 door. All it took was one car yard... she sat in a R34 and then sat in a Stag and was sold on the Stag :) .

I've got a r34 4 door, and a S2 rs4s stagea - and the wife much prefers the stagea even though it's the first manual she has driven in years. I also tried her in a legnum - but she preferred the stage to that too.. The two top reasons she give is 1) stability and control in the wet, and 2) carrying room - as you can put a hell of a lot of stuff in a stagea!

It's the only way I've got her out of those horrible '4wd' cars she used to drive (CRV etc) - which I hated..

So either go for a late C34 (mine is late 2001, I got it in 2005. If you're in Melb your welcome to have a look), or a m35..

Ian

Edited by ian